Things that p**s you off - post your rants

BillyNoMates

War Hero
What the f*ck is "fun size" and why do we get suckered in to paying more for what is effectively one Mars Bar cut into a load of little bits?
0__30152_zoom.jpg
A fun size Mars Bar should be 6ft long x 2ft wide and cost a quid. If you're going to have morbidly obese kids, at least buy them something they can get their rotting teeth into.

Sumo

War Hero
What the f*ck is "fun size" and why do we get suckered in to paying more for what is effectively one Mars Bar cut into a load of little bits?
View attachment 39339
A fun size Mars Bar should be 6ft long x 2ft wide and cost a quid. If you're going to have morbidly obese kids, at least buy them something they can get their rotting teeth into.
It's called fun size because Mars have fun hiding how much they are ripping you off, making you pay more for less chocolate bar.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
My dad used to work for Mars in Slough - every week when he got paid they also got a 2lb sugar bag full of deformed goodies after about 3 months I couldn't look at a sweet without gagging (1960s)

Sumo

War Hero
My dad used to work for Mars in Slough - every week when he got paid they also got a 2lb sugar bag full of deformed goodies after about 3 months I couldn't look at a sweet without gagging (1960s)
Misses worked in a sweet factory, could eat as many as you want, but not take home, every one hated the sweets, apparently a good tactic?

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Same o same o. Did a summer job. 5 weeks at Cadbury’s. I can never look at a crème egg ever again. Bastards. And the loss due to theft was nill.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Now, I may be going off on one for all the wrong reasons but I went to the shops today, and as I drifted down the aisles I caught sight of a chiller cabinet stocked with various brands of *Quorn*.
They're all "meat free" products - but are supposed to actually taste of meat..... presumably to allow our non meat eating brethren a taste of what they so rigorously bang on about being cruel, heartless and downright disgusting to chew down on.
Vegetarians, vegans and the like regard us with loathing contempt as we demolish a plate of sausages or half a chicken wrapped in bacon...... but give them a Quorn pretend pork sausage or a pack of sham chicken slices and they're in fake carnivour heaven.
If you like the artificially enhanced taste of such foodstuffs..... then you are eating a cow/pig/chicken in stealth mode. If you don't eat meat, Do NOT devour substitutes that taste meaty.
That's a double standard in my book.
It's okay by me for Quorn food to advertise itself as tasting of assorted farm animals, but I think it should all be 100% radish flavour. Their taste buds should not be permitted to sense the absolute joy of bangers, burgers, chicken nuggets or anything else that's been hacked off the still quivering corpse of assorted delicious livestock.
Let them eat sprouts.

Billy

Sumo

War Hero
@BillyNoMates maybe it's a meat eaters ploy to show them what they are missing, and trying to temp them away from the dark side that doesn't have crispy bacon butties?

taffscrivs

War Hero
How do Quorn know what flavours to add to make their products taste of pork, bacon etc?
They must employ a meat eater to tell them when a product has an authentic taste, so really they were responsible for a pig's death to be able to produce said taste.
I'll bet the veggies haven't thought about that!

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I went to a charity shop last week. They had six shelves of movies on display and the sign said:
"All Dvds £1"
I filled 20 bags up and gave the stunned fecker behind the counter a quid and tried to leave the shop.
After a somewhat heated debate I now have a lifetime ban from all branches of The Cats Protection League charity shopping outlet.
Some people have no sense of humour whatsoever.

Last edited:

Stirlin

War Hero
Now, I may be going off on one for all the wrong reasons but I went to the shops today, and as I drifted down the aisles I caught sight of a chiller cabinet stocked with various brands of *Quorn*.
They're all "meat free" products - but are supposed to actually taste of meat..... presumably to allow our non meat eating brethren a taste of what they so rigorously bang on about being cruel, heartless and downright disgusting to chew down on.
Vegetarians, vegans and the like regard us with loathing contempt as we demolish a plate of sausages or half a chicken wrapped in bacon...... but give them a Quorn pretend pork sausage or a pack of sham chicken slices and they're in fake carnivour heaven.
If you like the artificially enhanced taste of such foodstuffs..... then you are eating a cow/pig/chicken in stealth mode. If you don't eat meat, Do NOT devour substitutes that taste meaty.
That's a double standard in my book.
It's okay by me for Quorn food to advertise itself as tasting of assorted farm animals, but I think it should all be 100% radish flavour. Their taste buds should not be permitted to sense the absolute joy of bangers, burgers, chicken nuggets or anything else that's been hacked off the still quivering corpse of assorted delicious livestock.
Let them eat sprouts.

Billy
I have tried it Bill , they should be dun under the trade descriptions act as it tastes of nowt , even cooking it in a sauce imparts no taste. Not a veggie , I just do not eat as much meat as I used to.

Ballistic

War Hero
I have tried it Bill , they should be dun under the trade descriptions act as it tastes of nowt , even cooking it in a sauce imparts no taste. Not a veggie , I just do not eat as much meat as I used to.
I'm not a veggie either but I've been trying to cut down on red meat.
I had a bash at chilli made with quorn and I also found it to be tasteless.

I persevered though, and I can now make a decent chilli using quorn mince - I just crush an oxo cube into the mince and proceed as normal.

It doesn't seem to work as well with spag bol for some unknown reason and quorn steaks have the same taste as the cardboard packaging they come in.
I won't be using quorn pieces in curry again either...

Sumo

War Hero
I'm not a veggie either but I've been trying to cut down on red meat.
I had a bash at chilli made with quorn and I also found it to be tasteless.

I persevered though, and I can now make a decent chilli using quorn mince - I just crush an oxo cube into the mince and proceed as normal.

It doesn't seem to work as well with spag bol for some unknown reason and quorn steaks have the same taste as the cardboard packaging they come in.
I won't be using quorn pieces in curry again either...
Minced turkey, not red or fake crap.
We also have a lot of minced lamb?
My favorite is fish.
Quorn not on my watch.

Sumo

War Hero
Fish chilli? :eek:
Sounds revolting.

I wanted the taste of red meat chilli without the red meat.
I think I've succeeded :)

Does turkey mince make good spag bol?
Turkey spag boll OK.
Wife's grandmother was out in India as an army wife, curry fish many times, better than it sounds.

Taztiff

War Hero
Fish chilli? :eek:
Sounds revolting.

I wanted the taste of red meat chilli without the red meat.
I think I've succeeded :)

Does turkey mince make good spag bol?
Mrs Taztiff says yes to turkey spag bol and to be honest she's right.
She puts bacon lardons or smoked streaky in it, a bit of chilli dipping sauce and pasata.
Only problem is now that she is wheat intolerant so we have to have gluten free pasta. The spag bol is gluten free from the start.
Did try quorn some time back but it was cack.