Things that p**s you off - post your rants

Starting to flap about the night shift not coming in.
A "contingency plan" is being drawn up.
They all drive 4x4's - what's the problem?
The words "can't be arsed" spring to mind.

Started snowing now, the exodus was the usual ones who live local. I live over twenty miles away and wifey has said they've got a light dusting so no problems. She works in Guzz itself and got sent home.

Bargain, she'll have the tea on and maybe even walked the dog (no chance of that but one can hope!)

Started snowing now, the exodus was the usual ones who live local. I live over twenty miles away and wifey has said they've got a light dusting so no problems. She works in Guzz itself and got sent home.

Bargain, she'll have the tea on and maybe even walked the dog (no chance of that but one can hope!)
Work not sending us home

We recognise there is concern over the weather at the moment, so want to be clear about the situation currently.

Schools have closed, and if you have child care responsibility then you are able to take time off in an emergency such as this to pick up your children.

For all others, if you are concerned you are able to take holiday for the rest of the day and if the site is to subsequently close we will give further direction.

All those in possession of a lap top, if you are to leave site please ensure that you take your laptop with you as conditions may persist.

All Managers – please ensure your teams are all aware of the content of this message, especially where you have responsibility for on site contractors.

Rest assured we are keeping watch and will update you accordingly.

Have a laptop but no remote access, so will take, just to comply

I am in the middle of the MET Office Red Alert zone for Scotland. My boss has just issued me with a bollocking (copied to HR for good measure) for not coming into work! So the part where he told me to manage my own time and plan accordingly was complete bull.

I suppose I could have just disregarded the MET Office/Police/Govt advice and driven to work and wrote myself off in the process.

In any other walk of life he would be given a sound thrashing for being such a knob.

I am in the middle of the MET Office Red Alert zone for Scotland. My boss has just issued me with a bollocking (copied to HR for good measure) for not coming into work! So the part where he told me to manage my own time and plan accordingly was complete bull.

I suppose I could have just disregarded the MET Office/Police/Govt advice and driven to work and wrote myself off in the process.

In any other walk of life he would be given a sound thrashing for being such a knob.
Then give him a thrashing?

My boss tried that with me when I was with BAE.

He was at home in Farnborough, not willing to travel to office, I was working in Weymouth and staying on top of Portland, interesting drive down the hill, in snow, I decided to go home to Guzz, Thursday night as weather had worsened and so had forecast.

On Friday working from home, the same as he was, he tried to give me a bollicking, for leaving Weymouth and going home without his say so? I pointed out that Holden hill had become impassable about 2 hours after I drove up it with people stranded in their cars overnight and still blocked on the Friday, so I told him as an adult I had made the right call

Last edited:
Makes me so angry, if you had written your car off on the way in or indeed injured yourself they would have asked why you risked it.

I did it a few years back (could get the car out of the street) and they made me take a days holiday unpaid!!! I was living 50 miles away from work then, the roads were like ice rinks.

There have been a few comments on this site about "snowflake" attitudes to weather conditions. "When I was a lad, I walked five miles to school through two feet of snow and no-one whinged about cold feet....." etc.

What I've seen on TV seen of current weather conditions in Scotland, though, does seem a bit daunting, even for us tough old 'uns.

Your boss' attitude might seem a bit harsh, but, to be fair to him, when should you have been in work and when was the "Red Alert" announced?

January '82 when that big snow storm thingy hit the South West and Wales we were in POLC at Royal Arthur.
The course before us couldn't get to the Black Mountains for the final walk so they were sent to the Marlborough Downs instead.
The following week, we were mustered in front of the skipper who said that we wouldn't be going to the Black Mountains either but whether we went to the Marlborough Downs was dependent on the weather - but we had to volunteer to go. Well, last week at Royal Arthur? - of course we said yes!! :(
But come the weekend, it was decided we would not go. Instead we would be allowed to finish course and proceed on ELWE. :D
Considering it was rural Wiltshire and the snow was very deep in places, it was amazing what could be done by the class to clear the road from the camp so we could get home!! :)

There have been a few comments on this site about "snowflake" attitudes to weather conditions. "When I was a lad, I walked five miles to school through two feet of snow and no-one whinged about cold feet....." etc.

What I've seen on TV seen of current weather conditions in Scotland, though, does seem a bit daunting, even for us tough old 'uns.

Your boss' attitude might seem a bit harsh, but, to be fair to him, when should you have been in work and when was the "Red Alert" announced?
Red alert in place from before I was due at work (having had a meeting cancelled due to the weather in another part of the red zone). Other than the red, I am surrounded by amber, only travel if absolutely necessary.

I calmed down and spoke to him on the phone and funnily enough he is not such a forthright individual when spoken to, only when he does his keyboard warrior thing. Now there is no issue with me working from home and to risk assess coming in once the red turns amber tomorrow. Funny thing is, going from red to amber just means the snow isnt belting down. It is still in the same place on the ground! Impassable roads will still take an age to clear.

On the plus side, now I can break out the rum, purely for medicinal and body warming reasons as I will not have to leave at stupid o'clock to get into work tomorrow.

Red alert in place from before I was due at work (having had a meeting cancelled due to the weather in another part of the red zone). Other than the red, I am surrounded by amber, only travel if absolutely necessary.

I calmed down and spoke to him on the phone and funnily enough he is not such a forthright individual when spoken to, only when he does his keyboard warrior thing. Now there is no issue with me working from home and to risk assess coming in once the red turns amber tomorrow. Funny thing is, going from red to amber just means the snow isnt belting down. It is still in the same place on the ground! Impassable roads will still take an age to clear.

On the plus side, now I can break out the rum, purely for medicinal and body warming reasons as I will not have to leave at stupid o'clock to get into work tomorrow.
But did he copy his nicer self to HR?

My dikchead boss wanted me to take holiday, my choice paid or not, so I pointed out I had driven 100 mile to work on the Monday and an 8 mile commute to and from digs to office , and he had not even made it 2 miles to the office, I copied that to his boss, who agreed with me and told him to wind his neck in, his boss anther ex matelot. He was also the same boss that showed compassion when I had to rush my daughter from Guzz to Charing Cross hospital, for treatment of a rare females only cancer, his compassion was, you are using up all your leave then unpaid leave, ex matelot boss called to see how my daughter was doing and how I was holding up, he also asked what dikchead had said, don't worry I will sort him out. Bet you can't guess why I left a good job at BAE?

My dikchead boss wanted me to take holiday, my choice paid or not, so I pointed out I had driven 100 mile to work on the Monday and an 8 mile commute to and from digs to office , and he had not even made it 2 miles to the office, I copied that to his boss, who agreed with me and told him to wind his neck in, his boss anther ex matelot. He was also the same boss that showed compassion when I had to rush my daughter from Guzz to Charing Cross hospital, for treatment of a rare females only cancer, his compassion was, you are using up all your leave then unpaid leave, ex matelot boss called to see how my daughter was doing and how I was holding up, he also asked what dikchead had said, don't worry I will sort him out. Bet you can't guess why I left a good job at BAE?
Typical "Managers, Not Leaders" :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ninja_Stoker Diamond Lil's 1
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0