Things are moving - at last, lol!

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
#1
After what seems like forever (!) Junior finally sat his RTs and passed sufficiently for what he wants to do (thank gawd for that!)

Anyway he's already been given a date for his medical so now the next batch of questions for you lovely peeps.

a) does he get told the results of his medical on the day and as he wants to go into the FAA will the medical be the enhanced version or does that come nearer the potential entry date?

b) what is the usual time scale between the medical and the physical - and then the physical and the FATS?

c) we've had a look on the internet and there seems to be a variety of aids to help prepare for the FATS - is there one that comes recommended from people that have sat the FATS?

Thanks for all the advice so far - it really has been appreciated.
 
#2
I got the result of my medical there and then. You won't find out if there is something that needs to be investigated further. The PJFT has to be taken within 28 days of passing the medical. What is this FAT's you speak of?
 

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
#3
Flying Appitude Tests - they're taken at RAF Cranwell as part of the selection process.

Thanks for the info about the physical.
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
#4
cadetsmum said:
After what seems like forever (!) Junior finally sat his RTs and passed sufficiently for what he wants to do (thank gawd for that!)

Anyway he's already been given a date for his medical so now the next batch of questions for you lovely peeps.

a) does he get told the results of his medical on the day and as he wants to go into the FAA will the medical be the enhanced version or does that come nearer the potential entry date?

b) what is the usual time scale between the medical and the physical - and then the physical and the FATS?

c) we've had a look on the internet and there seems to be a variety of aids to help prepare for the FATS - is there one that comes recommended from people that have sat the FATS?

Thanks for all the advice so far - it really has been appreciated.
Don't take this wrong or insulting. At some stage your son/daughther will have to let go of your skirt.
 

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
#5
Wits - cut the umblical cord a long time ago ..........I give Junior advice and whether or not is acted upon is not for me to decide
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
#6
cadetsmum said:
Wits - cut the umblical cord a long time ago ..........I give Junior advice and whether or not is acted upon is not for me to decide
Are you sure that cord is'nt still attached. I fully understand you taking a interest in your childs future, but I'm starting to see a bit of possession.
 
#7
Dunno, I think it's good to see someone taking an interest. My auld dear is the same and I'm 24. She's just curious as to what's going on and how things are going. I didn't tell my folks till I'd passed the interview but if they'd known beforehand then I don't doubt for a second that they would have enquired as to the stages I was going through.

Keep up the good work cadets_mam and mine's a coffee, black with 3 sugars ;)
 
#9
Fair enough. I personally don't think there does become a point a mother stops taking an interest in their child like.

Cadetshotmomma you say? Have you seen something I haven't? ;)
 

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
#11
Nope not possessive at all - have always said I only had two requirements for any career that Junior decided on - a) that Junior enjoyed doing it and b) it was legal.

Not getting into slanging match - I / we were just after some sort of time scale given its taken 18 months from the initial enquiry to get to this stage.
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
#12
thereverend said:
Fair enough. I personally don't think there does become a point a mother stops taking an interest in their child like.
Wrong, I use to be the apple of her eye, but baby wits has stole my thunder. Now I'm just the bawbag who gave her sa**y T*** and stretch marks. I still love her!!!!!!!!
 
#13
cadetsmum said:
Nope not possessive at all - have always said I only had two requirements for any career that Junior decided on - a) that Junior enjoyed doing it and b) it was legal.

Not getting into slanging match - I / we were just after some sort of time scale given its taken 18 months from the initial enquiry to get to this stage.
8O Woah, that's a long time. I was over and done with in two and a half months. How old is junior anyway?
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
#15
cadetsmum said:
Not getting into slanging match - I / we were just after some sort of time scale given its taken 18 months from the initial enquiry to get to this stage.
I have respect for a parent taking an interest into there kids future for it to become a slanging match. Sorry if I have come across abrupt.
 
#19
cadetsmum said:
I / we were just after some sort of time scale given its taken 18 months from the initial enquiry to get to this stage.
You have been very unlucky with the timescale so far, luckily the next bit is to an extent within your control. As you say you have a date for the medical, after that you should ask for a PJFT form as quickly as possible. Some AFCOs will insist on posting it to you but some don't mind if you come in and get it to speed things up. Your PJFT will take place at a gym nearby (often a Fitness First) and again the trick is to go in with the form, stress the urgency and hope they will do it soon. Once that is done the results are with the AFCO within 48 hours for processing. As you can see this bit is potentially very quick but that is down to you/junior to ensure.

Good news is that the waiting list time starts running after an RT pass I believe.
 

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
#20
Thanks guys - apology accepted Wits btw.

We've had some brillant advice from this forum especially as (as already been said) Junior has had the run around but hopefully now getting somewhere,lol!

Junior is only doing AS levels at the mo so potentially has an interesting time in juggling revision for those as well as his FATs ........can't get in without the grades but won't get in without passing the FATs!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
soleil The Fleet Air Arm 5

Similar threads

Latest Threads