Thieves destroy war memorials.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by frogman007, Oct 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just watched the BBC news and seen the report on how thieves are destroying memorials by removing the metal content from them. They are removing the copper name plates from the faces of the memorials, to gain as little as £50 for scrap.

I am sorry but these people need their f****** hands removing when caught. I am sure all of us have some affilliation to these shrines be it through current conflicts or past wars.

I am not writing this as some daily mail reader, just disgusted and the state of affairs.
  2. I too share your annoyance/anger at these toerags plundering monuments to the men and women who gave their lives to keep this country free.A certain number(but not all) of the perpetrators will be Travellers,Pikeys what you will, who have no allegiance to this country and most likely can't read what is written on the plaques.But just as much to blame are the scrap metal yards who pay cash in hand for this plunder no questions asked.Unfortunately the only remedy I can see is replacing all the metal plaques with stone versions but this costs money and who is going to pay?
  3. Metal Theft Crackdown By Police As War Memorials Stolen In Plymouth | UK News | Sky News Naval Memorial was targeted last year. Time to use "smartwater" to mark all memorials and tighter controls on scrappies.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dropping a hatch on the vile scumbags hands would be an excellent punishment.
  5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Unfortunately, respect these days has gone out the window. People will do anything for a fast buck and things like memorials are seen as easy money, but what to do? The general opinion is to give these toerags a good shoeing, with which i agree, but is that enough? Maybe a stronger custodial punishment than that received by Charlie Gilmour (if caught stealing the metal content) would work but, i somehow doubt it. Punishment with fire and hammers gets my vote along with a ten stretch in a cell with a homosexual psychopath.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I appreciate this is getting slightly Daily Mail now, however, we were not this bad when we were kids surely? Yeah little scrotes that got in the sh!t even with coppers etc for extreme mischief and general pissing about. There was though depsite this a boundary and you never stepped over this. My dad would have kicked the f****** life out of me if I defaced a memorial. As Blackrat says respect appears to have gone out of the window. Rant complete.
  7. Yes matey, my old man was the same, but as for respect going out the window, you are right but that is until you have the effrontery to "Dis" one of these shitheels, then he comes at you with a big **** off knife, they are whores melts every last one of them.
  8. I also think the scum should have there hands removed alo the scrappers no matter how big or small if found out they have bought such things shoud be forced out of business
  9. I remember nicking conkers from dirty great big trees in a local cemetary, wouldn't walk anywhere near the graves. wouldn't think of it.

Got caught by a copper of course and got a clippin, first off him, then off me dad.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. Bang-on there, EC; I think that applied to everything that we got up to as kids, from pratting about on building sites - and getting covered with crap into the bargain - to nicking empty beer bottles and getting the tuppence back from the offy for every one we robbed.
    Okay, it was stealing, maybe, but in those days nobody had anything much worth nicking; sadly for me, I didn't know that the offy man was on speaking terms with my Dad, and after one conversation with Reg Clayton he put two and two together - he didn't drink Ansells Brown, but said nothing to Reg at the time.
    Dad wasn't a nasty bloke, in fact normally quite the reverse, but after that he gave me a right old walloping with the boiler stick, a months' number tens and conficated my bike for a week; that really knackered me up with my two paper rounds and made me late several times at school, so the lesson was learnt in many ways - never did that again.
    As for the pondlives that desecrate graves - any graves, not just servicemens' graves - they should suffer public humiliation, and the stronger the better; as many have said, there are limits past which nobody should go - QED.
  11. Of course in the good old days this never ever happened, nor did anyone ever get stabbed.
  12. Actually I don't think people did deface war memorials. Stabbing did, does and always will happen.
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, you're right - people didn't desecrate graves in the olden times... :shock: :roll:

14. It's always happened, I recall my local one being defaced in the early eighties. People are so quick to claim "in my day" and then go off on one about the kids of today but to a large extent it's rubbish and rose tinted spectacles. My dad talks about it happening a lot during the sixties and I also remember reading a discussion elsewhere that states it has been noted from as early as 1959:

Desecration of Broomfield Park Garden of Remembrance - Great War Forum

All the huff and puff in the world won't stop vandalism. My own local war memorial has been vandalized numerous times, the earliest being 1959 as far as I can tell.

You are right we have had our fair share of vandalism of local War Memorials within Coventry and Warwickshire in the past 50 years.
  15. I think you're been slightly pedanitc.Burke and Hare were grave robbers for the purposes of medical research. If you re-read my line I said "I don't think people did deface WAR MEMORIALS".

Either way what people are doing to war memorials be it Charlie Gilmour hanging off the Cenotaph or some effing pikey making £50, it is at the end of the day a c*nts trick. Make some shit light of it if you will, me persoanlly I won't be joining in.
  16. Yeah heard that. Good call.
  17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It's stolen because there's a market for it. Hammer the dealers.

No one willing to smelt it or buy it and no-one would steal it. Mindless vandalism etc is a different ball game.