They just don't get it do they?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by broadside, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As if the reputation of most (if not all) MPs isn't already at rock bottom some of them seem to be so out of touch that they feel it is more appropriate to appear on a "Reality Show" rather than face up to their obligations to their constituents in the "real world"

Anger as MP swaps benches for bush - News | MSN TV UK

What a total imbecile - if she wants to play at being a celebrity, resign as an MP first.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. In May 2009 the Daily Telegraph, as part of its exposure of MPs' expenses claims, questioned whether the property in Dorries's constituency, on which she claimed £24,222 Additional Costs Allowance (for 'secondary' housing costs), had been in fact her main or only home from 2007 onwards.[46] The newspaper also queried hotel bills including one for 'Mr N Dorries': these had been disallowed by the Fees Office and Dorries said they were submitted by mistake. On 22 May she went on BBC Radio 4 to draw parallels between the McCarthy 'Witch-Hunts' and the press's 'drip-drip' revelation of MP's expenses, eliciting David Cameron's public criticism.[47] She claimed everyone was fearing a 'suicide', and colleagues were constantly checking up on each other.[48] Later in the day her blog was taken down. It transpired that Withers, lawyers acting for the Barclay Brothers, the owners of the Daily Telegraph, had required the removal of the blog, on threat of libel action against the service provider.[49]
    In January 2010, it emerged that Dorries was being investigated by John Lyon, the parliamentary commissioner for standards, regarding her claim for second home expenses[50] There was some debate as to the location of her main home.[51] The outcome of the parliamentary investigation is discussed in the "blog fiction" section below. It was also revealed that Dorries had claimed £20,000 in office expenses for work undertaken by a media relations and public affairs company.[50][52]

Im not at all surprised given her previous track record. My only other regret is not seeing more of these imbeciles from Govt taking part. At least in Australia they won't be able to make more ridiculous policies for the taxpayers to fund
  3. One would have thought that before getting onto one's high horse to start throwing rose manure at your boss (Camermoron) and others that your horse had four sturdy legs on it.

Going onto a 'celebrity' game show is a poor choice. Going (I suspect) thinking that you will be able to get your political views across will fail just as George Galloway and Mike Reid (albeit non political) found out when the producers decided what to show \ not show to maintain the viewing ratings.

This is all part of the political tit for tat games.
  4. Don't see the problem really - could we not ship the other 649 over to join her?

Then the Civil Service can crack on with business-as-normal . . . actually running the country.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. So who's running her constituency in her absence? Might be worth a watch just for Helen Flanagan.
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Being discussed on Jeremy Vine at the moment.....
  7. I Is she on leave? Paid or unpaid
    I get the feeling a large amount of politicians had a privileged up bringing so they never actually joined the real world, so have no chance of getting it?
  8. tiddlyoggy

It hasn't said on R2 if she is still getting paid by the government or not and they don't know how much she is getting for going on the show, but guessed to be at least £40K.
  9. It shouldn't matter if she is going to continue being paid by the Government or not - she is supposed to be representing her constituents and progressing issues in Parliament on their behalf - she can't do that from a desert island somewhere off Australia. This is not a discussed and agreed "sabbatical" to pursue some course or other that could potentially make her a better MP or increase her understanding of a critical issue of direct relevance to the UK or her constituency, it is a seedy little exercise in self aggrandisement with a nice little payday attached.

If she doesn't want to take her responsibilities as an MP seriously then she should resign and let someone else take over.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tiddlyoggy

bs, where did I say it made a difference whether she was still being paid or not? I was trying to answer Sumo's question. As it happens I couldn't agree more with your comments.
  11. She would turn it into a handbag and a pair of sue, and then put them down as essential expenses?
  12. Luckily for me I did not find god I found happiness, happiness is the ability to ignore all the W*****s you would have or should have ripped their sodding heads of for being assholes, remembering my P&Q as this CA, home time I think, nice Rugger match in the freezing cold to cheer me up.
  13. The Mid Bedfordshire voters elected her so they should know what to do next time round, no ticket for me as nothing surprises me any more where our elected members are concerned.
  14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

What's her majority? Perhaps she is positioning herself as a wannabe celeb post-2015. If Cameron had any sense he would have withdrawn the whip from her already. Slam bang, bring party into disrepute (he probably believes it has repute, I don't), OUT!
  15. She's a politician............she won't be there long...........she'll be as popular as a Gary Glitter tribute band !
  16. '
    Has it occurred to no-one else that her constituents/party have discreetly stitched her up as a secret but deserved punishment?
  17. '
    Toast, Nadine?

UPDATED: 17:56, 6 November 2012 I'm a Celebrity 2012 line up: Tory MP Nadine Dorries heads out to the jungle | Mail Online

<<...Nadine Dorries was tonight suspended from the Tory party after secretly flying to Australia to appear on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! without telling party bosses.

Furious Chief Whip Sir George Young is demanding an urgent meeting with the 55-year-old when she returns to the UK, as the backlash grows against her £40,000 appearance on the reality TV show.

The future of the Conservative MP, who is paid more than £70,000-a-year from the public purse, was already in doubt after her local party chairman threatened her with 'a reprimand, delisting or deselection for the next election' if she goes ahead with the ITV reality show...>>
  18. A politician puts personal money grubbing before the needs of their constituents.Are we supposed to be surprised by this?
  19. Tiddly - I wasn't getting at you with my response, I was using your quote to clarify my comments - sorry, no offence intended whatsoever
  20. tiddlyoggy

No offence taken, I was just a little taken aback that my post may have been misinterpreted.