they earn their pay- frm pompey evening news

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by brazenhussy, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

ouch......pick the bits outa that one, no thank you.

2. Quite a frequent thing for me mate. Seen cars on their roofs, crushed, smashed to pieces. Never nice, especially when you see a baby seat in the back.

3. Forgive me if I appear to be a little negative here, but isn't that just the rozzers and the firemen doing the day job? Rearranged blood, snot and bone is never pleasant but at least some bugger isn't lobbing nasty stuff at them while they clear it up.

4. I was working in Israel a while ago and they have these dudes in black trucks that drive around on constant standby for bomb victims. They arrive on scene so that as soon as the cops/army have done their bit they pick up all the pieces for burial. These are religious types cos the Israelis' like to bury people quickly (their own, not their neighbours) and the real treat?
    These guys are full time volunteers............. Yuk.
    Better them than me.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

6. Gimme a breal POL, doesn't matter if you're taking fire or not, that kind of work is extremely unpleasant if not traumatic. RIP the driver, good job the volunteers!

7. not sure what the set up is with those stations. they may well be retained (part time ) firefighters, their day job could be something they drop to go to this, BZ them.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It must have been a retained station, the regulars would have been on strike or working to rule :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Get a lot of stuff lobbed at you in Bath, do you?

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

My thoughts exactly.

BH no doubt meant to start a thread about the emergency services earning their bread but I can see this turning into a laugh at white van man with, fag, sandwich and mobile phone getting his just deserts, whoever the unfortunate victim was or why the crash happened.

There's already a fair bit of disrespecting the dead here so, rather than risk serious bad taste in Current Affairs, to Lil's.

11. we only do that if they take the pool table away. :wink: :roll: :wink:

12. Sgtpepperband wrote:

I'm afraid I must correct you there SgtP, I work for the Highways Agency and I can assure you that HA Traffic Officers generally are not permitted anywhere near the scene of a fatal RTA, or any other fatality on the HA network. Every fatality is treated as a crime scene and the minimum number of Police and other emergency services are allowed at the scene.

The Traffic Officers would be on the perimeter carrying out Traffic management, diversions etc. They only become actively involved in traffic accidents wher there are no injuries.

What would have happened in this case, as in every fatality I am aware of, is that the Police would complete their extensive enquiries, then the deceased would be cut from the wreckage by the Fire and Rescue Service, placed in a body bag and removed, probably by an undertaker.

I write this purely as enlightenment and not in any way critical

13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Mate, I repect what you guys do but I have a few questions....

1. why can a traffic officer close a major artirial road route causing millions of pounds worth of lost revenue, with no come back on him if he has fcuk up?

2. If the person has died who caused the accident, why close a motoway for 12 hours.......it aint gonna bring him back.

3. why dont you just drag the result of a non fatal accident of the road and let everyone else crack on with there daily lives instead of treating it like a van gough photo studio?

4. why dont you the do the above if there's stiffs involved?

5. why dont you test for drug drivers?

Sir, you have a hard enough job as it is, but being stuck on the M6 for 8 hours without moving is soul destroying, and begs for the question "why"

why cant I spell?

14. WB

In answer to your points raised, I will attempt to clarify each point.

1. Any incident requiring the closure of a major road/Motorway would be a serious one, and would be commanded by the Police, and they would instruct the HA to close roads.

2. As previously stated, every fatality on a road is treated as a crime regardless of whether the deceased was a driver or not. A case in point, a suicide by jumping off a motorway bridge closed that motorway totally for 8 hours (body parts on both carriageways).

3. That is what happens unless the injuries are so serious that there is a likelihood the casualty may die at a later stage as a result.

4. See 2

5. I have no idea.

I understand your frustration, and the frustrations of millions of other mortorists, but unfortunately, that is the current Police policy for dealing with serious/fatal incidents.

Hope this goes some way to answering your questions.

15. Sorry WB, I missed one of your questions. The fact that you have No. 5 twice threw me.

Regarding drug testing, that would be done at the post mortem in the case of a fatality. Where there are serious injuries it is unlikely that the Doctor in charge of the casualty would permit the Police to carry out any breath/drug tests.

16. Yeah, bunch of knobbers.

Had a fatal on the motorway on new years day, biker dead pillion badly injured but not aware that the rider had died. Packaged the pillion patient into the Ambulance and heard a voice from behind me say "So the riders dead then, shall i get the police to stand down the helicopter" It was a Highways Agency twat. Luckily the pillion had head blocks on which tends to muffle their hearing so she wasn't aware. Yeah, real fucking heroes

17. Obviously havent been in that position then POL??