There's 'Norway' I'm going to jump!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Pompey News said:
Navy parachutists have hit the heights during a Nato exercise off Norway.

The team of 10 – joined by counterparts from Italy, Russia and Greece – took part in a simulation of a stricken submarine on the seabed.

The navy Parachute Assistance Group off the coast of Southern Norway

The Royal Navy Submarine Parachute Assistance Group (SPAG) took off in a C130 Hercules from RAF Lyneham, Wiltshire, and parachuted into the sea off the southern coast of Norway carrying two inflatable boats, life rafts, medical equipment, communications equipment and rations.

Once they were in the water, their first role was to communicate with the stricken sub and relay the information back to the HQ for rescue planning.

The medical team remained in the boats to deal with any 'casualties'.
Leading Medical Assistant Phil Williams said: 'Jumping out of the Hercules was the best feeling in the world and it keeps getting better, and the Navy even pay me to do it.'

Commanding Officer Lieutenant Andy Sharp added: 'This exercise is an international showpiece of what the UK SPAG can do and what the other nations need to aspire to.'

sgtpepperband said:
Pompey News said:

The team of 10 – joined by counterparts from Italy, Russia and Greece – took part in a simulation of a stricken submarine on the seabed.

The Royal Navy Submarine Parachute Assistance Group (SPAG) took off in a C130 Hercules from RAF Lyneham, Wiltshire, and parachuted into the sea off the southern coast of Norway carrying two inflatable boats, life rafts, medical equipment, communications equipment and rations.

Once they were in the water, their first role was to communicate with the stricken sub and relay the information back to the HQ for rescue planning.

Leading Medical Assistant Phil Williams said: 'Jumping out of the Hercules was the best feeling in the world and it keeps getting better, and the Navy even pay me to do it.'

Commanding Officer Lieutenant Andy Sharp added: 'This exercise is an international showpiece of what the UK SPAG can do and what the other nations need to aspire to.'
surely they should have been in grey then with bags on their heads and something radioactive close to the testicles ??? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

It all looks a bit too dangerous to me! Dying comes to us all at some point or another - I just don't see why we should encourage it to come sooner.

SF

sgtpepperband said:
Pompey News said:

Nothing to do with it being hot and smelly of course. What a great sensation when those doors swing upwards all that lovely fresh air.

How do they expect to be able to detect HM Best Sailors in the World (aka Submariners) when skimmers equipped with the latest technology cannot do it? Mind you why anyone would want to jump from a great height when they could just as easily (and more cheaply) get there in an orange rubber dingy is beyond me. Perhaps they are suicide sailors?