The're off

hobbit

War Hero
Next Tuesday, 7.11.06, much of Australia will come to a halt for the annual Melbourne Cup, a horse race. I suppose it can be compared with the UK Derby, a tradition that has been with us for many years. Good stuff with all the fun of the fair. However, there is a much more significant race on the same day with far greater consquences than losing your shirt, the political race in the USA, a two horse race of Republicans and Democrats I understand. Will the result be similar to elections in UK and Oz when the two leaders were re-elected despite the lies, deception, destruction and loss of life in Iraq. From what I read GB is in for a flogging although such events are difficult to predict. I do believe GB will suffer though, as he should, for the damage he has caused to so many people.Love to carry out a psych test on him, more carnage than SH ever did

:roll:

The general consensus (or perhaps wishfull thinking), is that the worthless Republicans are going to lose control of both the House and Senate.
The Iraq mess, coupled with in-house scandals like Tom Foley, etc, have got the people fed up with the horseshit. Bushbaby will always have his die-hard, loudmouthed, uber-conservative sycophants making noise, but their numbers are shrinking rapidly. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the warhawks.
Democrats are already looking forward to 2008, and a young gun presidential hopefull named Barack Obama, a junior Senator from Illinois.
His popularity is already off the charts, and if he doesn't step on his weenie between now and '08, we could finaly have a President we can be proud of!

Here's hoping.

hobbit

War Hero
Thanks BY, nothing like news straight from the horse's mouth. The world will be hoping the news is correct and this does happen. Warhawks I feel is not really the term and I prefer bully. Iraq was never really a problem and could have been handled by the UN and diplomacy instead of using the sledge-hammer to totally destroy the place. The real problems have never been faced such as Tibet where the PCR just moved in, no doubt the stepping stone to India when the time comes. It will be interesting to see how TB handles it if GB does take a tumble and how our resident GB hemroid copes with the loss of support. We live in interesting times.

:)

"May you live in interesting times." That was actually an old Chinese curse, if I remember correctly.
Something has to change. If America wants to be a true world power, then we have to earn respect, not demand (or take) it.
There are some in this nation who would consider me "unpatriotic" for the views that I hold (anti-bush, anti-war, etc), but here is my understanding of true patriotism: Putting the good of the nation ahead of all else.
What's best for my country is what's best for the world and our role in it.

All the power in the world is useless if it's used with reckless abandon, with a total disregard of the consequences.

hobbit

War Hero
Certainly no curse intended here although your comment brings to mind another truism, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely Your other observations re America's role as a world leader are interesting. could do with such views in the halls of power. America has done a lot of good on the world stage sad to see it all being undone and only wonder as to how it will all end. Looking for the New Age Pilgrim Fathers to take me to the promised land of a new planet, no escape on this one it seems,

:)

nutty_bag

War Hero
Dont think your at all unpatriotic B.Y.
I would say that you share the same opinions as alot of Brits who get sick to death of Bliar and others before him blindly following others into what are colloquially known as clusterfucks without any foresight as to the consequences and expecting our under equiped, but very professional forces to pick up the pieces. Time for a political change here too me thinks, although by the look of some of the candidates it goes to prove that there is life after death!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Companies House to restart the voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA secures loan write-off from payday lender MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £105 million to keep rough sleepers safe and off the streets during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Qatari Typhoons take off as joint squadron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home work pays off for LLWR MoD News 0
B How soon will the commonwealth hold be taken off please? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Furlough scheme cut-off date extended to 19 March MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Team spirit pays off for Distington residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Station Road, Long Melford, Suffolk (ref: 3214377 - 1 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First new ventilators to roll off production line this weekend as industry answers call to step up manufacturing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Off-payroll working rules reforms postponed until 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coarse fishing on rivers is off limits for three months MoD News 0
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Market exploration: roll on roll off and containerised freight screening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to help businesses with off-payroll working rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s first industrial contribution to International Space Station ready for take off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC announces change to the off-payroll working rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Tech Rocketship Awards take off in Taiwan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Muc-Off pays beach clean charity after failing to recycle packaging MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK is helping connect off-grid communities across Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Off-payroll review launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 200 people to spend Christmas off the streets and in their own homes thanks to innovative government programme Housing First MoD News 0
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel sinks off Isle of Man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Darnhall, School Lane, Winsford, Cheshire (ref: 2212671 - 4 November 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Platform Evacuation off Shetland MoD News 0
Acryph How to turn off swear censorship? Site Issues 2
MoD_RSS Aerospace investment to take-off following US Trade Mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man overboard rescued off Dover 'was wearing lifejacket with good strobe light' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches new Growth Deals funding as he kicks off Union visits in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World first as kits designed to extract metals from the Moon and Mars blast off for space station tests MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Motorists urged to check vehicles before heading off on holiday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Stone Path Drive, Hatfield Peverel (ref: 3162004 - 8 July 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Called-in decision: land off Stone Path Drive, Hatfield Peverel (ref: 3180725 - 8 July 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Lift off for new investment in UK SMEs to develop new aerospace technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Preventing pollution and hazards from soil water run-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Cutting edge bio-tech system to clean A38 water run-off in Devon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: It's showtime! Helping pupils set off on the road to STEM careers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: F-35 Lightning aircraft take off for inaugural overseas exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: A weight off our minds: farewell to the kilogram as we know it MoD News 0
S How do they pair off apprentices to cabin share on first sea voyage? RFA 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Teachers say parents need help to resist off-rolling pressure MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Skipper rescued off Salcombe 'had done all the right things' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Apaches take off for Estonia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: M6’s purple pipes kick off new life on school sports pitch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: James Brokenshire confirms funding to help people off the streets MoD News 0