There is a God after all!!!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by andym, Dec 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now theres NO excuse for you Wimmin not to do the House work!!!

Housework cuts breast cancer risk

Chores may be exercise enough
    Women who exercise by doing the housework can reduce their risk of breast cancer, a study suggests.
    The research on more than 200,000 women from nine European countries found doing household chores was far more cancer protective than playing sport.

Dusting, mopping and vacuuming was also better than having a physical job.

The women in the Cancer Research UK-funded study spent an average of 16 to 17 hours a week cooking, cleaning and doing the washing.

Something as simple and cheap as doing the housework can help

Dr Lesley Walker of Cancer Research UK

Experts have long known that physical exercise can reduce the risk of breast cancer, probably through hormonal and metabolic changes.

But it has been less clear how much and what types of exercise are necessary for this risk reduction.

And much of past work has examined the link between exercise and breast cancer in post-menopausal women only.

The latest study looked at both pre- and post-menopausal women and a range of activities, including work, leisure and housework.

All forms of physical activity combined reduced the breast cancer risk in post-menopausal women, but had no obvious effect in pre-menopausal women.

Chores protected

Out of all of the activities, only housework significantly reduced the risk of both pre- and post-menopausal women getting the disease.

Housework cut breast cancer risk by 30% among the pre-menopausal women and 20% among the post-menopausal women.

The women were studied over an average of 6.4 years, during which time there were 3,423 cases of breast cancer.

The international authors said their results suggested that moderate forms of physical activity, such as housework, may be more important than less frequent but more intense recreational physical activity in reducing breast cancer risk.

Dr Lesley Walker of Cancer Research UK said: "We already know that women who keep a healthy weight are less likely to develop breast cancer.

"This study suggests that being physically active may also help reduce the risk and that something as simple and cheap as doing the housework can help."

He recommend that men and women take regular exercise and maintain a healthy body weight to help prevent cancer.

The research is published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention.
  2. putting my slippers on and donning a smoking jacket as we speak......
  3. Will men stop at nothing to find reasons for this tired old saga!!!!!!!!

( and dont think your sitting on your bum doing nothing Jesss!!)

:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
  4. Just remember Andy (and Josie please note :lol:) that men are also at risk of male breast cancer (MBC). Some of us :oops: have a higher risk of developing it than the average women! :roll:

The question is, would it benefit men with Klinefelter syndrome? If so, then I think every vessel in the Fleet should carry a compliment of us to clean ship for Captain's, etc., Divisions. :lol: If it reduces the risk of MBC in ordinary men too it would seem to suggest that the Navy should revert to old fashioned kit musters, teak mess decks at all training establishments and on board ships, and glift and gleaming to become the NORM! :twisted:

I can just see a future recruiting ad for the Andrew:

Glift and Gleam your way to perfect health: Join the RN, polish your way to fitness and longivity!

:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

May I suggest the RN's medical bods do some research into this - perhaps a meta-analysis of data and civvy controls to see if the incidence of MBC is lower in those who did more housework in the old RN than in the new? :idea:
  5. Yes AAC
    totaly agree, the only difference between male an female breasts occur when a woman becomes pregnant... so men should in my oppion also have scans for breast cancer
    I feel that these scans should also be availible to the younger generations not jus over 55's..
    I can understand that men feel "stand off ish"about this subject but how many more men wil have to die ,before they realise they too much check thier chest

Perhaps it could be made a compulsary part of your yearly health checks
  6. I have to have an annual ultrasound breast scan and also periodically examine my chest (the tissue is fibrous rather than fatty) for unusual sub-surface undulations. As I only have showers since getting my new power shower fitted earlier this year, I will have to learn to do not floating breast examinations! :? It would help if the self-examination literature was not all aimed at women though.

More info on Male Breast Cancer here... though its info on Klinefelter syndrome is a little outdated - the risk is now thought to be greater.
  7. I for one hate the effects of plastic surgery enhancement on the average boob, but in the main I can't agree on this lack of difference! Man boobs do nowt for me!

8. Sily boy I was talking about the tissues,and phisical make up,,,, :twisted:
  9. It's not about moobs! Men are capable of lactating as women are. Remember we all started off the same in the womb.

What i mean to say is that we are all more similar than it may at first appear.