Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The whitewash continues.....

From the Inderabid

Parliamentary watchdog clears Jowell over husband's stake in pubs

Sir Philip Mawer, the Commissioner for Parliamentary Standards, has cleared Tessa Jowell over allegations that she failed to declare her husband's stake in a pub chain.

He said that under Commons rules, Ms Jowell, the Secretary for Culture, Media and Sport, was not required to declare the shares in the Old Monk Company brewers.

In a letter to the Tory MP Nigel Evans, who had raised the case, Sir Philip said MPs were not required to register shareholdings in which their spouse alone had a beneficial interest.

"In short, even if (and this is, I understand, denied by him) [David] Mills was the beneficial owner of the Old Monk Company shares, Ms Jowell was not obliged by the rules of the House to register them," he said.

They'll be clearing her of having sex with her husband next. 'Oh, you weren't aware that is how babies are made Ms. Jowell?' :evil:

come_the_day said:
Will anybody fall on anybody's sword when they have been found out while holding high office?
Don't be silly - they're politicians. I always thought that a sense of honour automatically debarred you from becoming an MP.

McHammock said:
come_the_day said:
Will anybody fall on anybody's sword when they have been found out while holding high office?
Don't be silly - they're politicians. I always thought that a sense of honour automatically debarred you from becoming an MP.

Myth or Fact - Didn't Military Officers have to resign their commissions if they ran for Parliament?

.........and indeed other ranks. In the early '60's we had a gunner who was detailed off to be the Major's batman. He refused and said he would rather leave the army than skivvy for him. He was put in the guardroom to reconsider as leaving was not an option. The outcome was that the PO Tel held a whip round and got the deposit required for him to stand as an independent in the parliamentary elections coming up, whereapon under the rules he was immediately discharged much to the battery commanders chagrin. One up for the lads :D

Paddy ashdown , ex-RM , SBS as well . A gang of lads tried to mug him
in Weston-super-mare .He beat the crap out of 2 of them and the others legged it . Top man was always shagging as well .

Deeps said:
in Weston-super-mare .He beat the crap out of 2 of them and the others legged it . Top man was always shagging as well .

Its amazing how these stories get changed, it was one pi**ed up man with a knife, Paddy took the knife from him and the chap legged it. (I was told this by the man himself)

Well actually my mates mate was there and one of them had a AK 47 , paddy dia-armed him then shoved the barrel up his arrse.

Deeps said:

...that's nothing. I broke up a fight in Liverpool the other night. I decked 2 and scattered the other 4.

...then drove off without stopping.

The ancient greeks, who we are told invented this thing called democracy, ruled that you couldn't hold political office unless you had served in the military.
Might make Bliar think things through a bit more if he had... Even if it was just the fact you can't keep cutting the number of ships while increasing the number of deployments.

Oh yes the ancient greeks also believed ambition for office was a disqualifier for office.

Latest Threads