Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Whiff of Nostalgia

lesbryan

War Hero
Blackrat said:
lesbryan said:
witsend said:
A 10p single and two matches, magic!!!!!!
Could get 5 woodbines for that and a box of matches :D

Blimey. You'll be banging on about Capstan non filter and Players Navy Cut next.
Ahh now there we have a ciggy Capstan full strength and players navy cut .Got them with my ciggy coupons :D and park drive export :D

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
lesbryan said:
Ahh now there we have a ciggy Capstan full strength and players navy cut .Got them with my ciggy coupons :D and park drive export :D

All together now.......

"Blue liners and bubbly
And men dressed as women
They'll drive you crazy flat out on the floor
Blue liners and bubbly
And men dressed as women
Those Boogie Street beauties from old Singapore"

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Blackrat said:
lesbryan said:

All together now.......

"Blue liners and bubbly
And men dressed as women
They'll drive you crazy flat out on the floor
Blue liners and bubbly
And men dressed as women
Those Boogie Street beauties from old Singapore"

Ahhh
Blue liners,still got some of them,fag anyone?
Blackrat standfast!

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rope swings, old railway bridges on embankments. You would tie some rope to the upper bridge and ride the wind, trying to avoid pigeon sh1te and feathers. I thought I was being clever one time and jumped off mid swing. Jesus mother of holy christ the closest I have ever come to breaking a bone. My ankle looked like John Holmes drill bit after a days filming.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
BARNEYRNSM said:
Ahhh
Blackrat standfast!

The only fags you've got, you soap dodging Submariner, are those you've stolen off people not looking. I'll get them back somehow. :D

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Blackrat said:
BARNEYRNSM said:
Ahhh
Blackrat standfast!

The only fags you've got, you soap dodging Submariner, are those you've stolen off people not looking. I'll get them back somehow. :D

They are well hidden next to my frankie goes to hollywood greatest hits LP!

Rumrat

War Hero
witsend said:
Rope swings, old railway bridges on embankments. You would tie some rope to the upper bridge and ride the wind, trying to avoid pigeon sh1te and feathers. I thought I was being clever one time and jumped off mid swing. Jesus mother of holy christ the closest I have ever come to breaking a bone. My ankle looked like John Holmes drill bit after a days filming.

You couldn't do that when I was a kid, you'd get hit by the 10.35 from Pinnaroo, or Renmark, we still used railways in those days. 8O :D
Beeching child :twisted: :D

Stirling

Banned
Fag machines at Raleigh, buy 10 then push the drawer almost all the way in and the next pack drops and is stuck but you can't pull the drawer as it will crush the tabs......razor blade the pack and the tabs come tumbling out, then pull out the empty pack and so on. :D

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
The acrid smell of Sodium Chlorate and Sugar after pouring a load of the mixture into all of the local golf course Green holes (ratio 1:2 sugar/chlorate) and setting it alight. The result was the pegs were welded into the holes. Other frolics with the same mixture were-

- Making small rocket engines with hot choccy tin can with a 5mm drill hole in the base, fill with mixture and tie to a rollerskate (old type) and very gingerly insert a lighted match into said hole if the lid stayed on then reasonable speeds could be reached.

- Home made fireworks, 1/2 fill a baked bean tin with mixture, add a handfull of iron filings and dye Light in the back garden and watch in awe and dread as yer mates mums freshly turned out washing, despite being wet, takes ahad . then go home and get a good kicking from yer dad.

Ah! the days when you could buy chemicals for home made fireworks. The days when you could make fireworks without risk of the scuffs pulling you as a suspected terr.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Happy new year BTW. Being brought up near the river I miss hearing ships sounding their horns at midnight. Another downside of the manufacturing/maintenance slide and moving to the suburbs.

Apples & conkers. Do the young ones still go apple raiding? Apple raiding was an annual sport which only required one plastic bag. You filled the fcuker, but would never eat more than two apples. The thrill was the chase from some irate joker with a passion for apple crumble.

Conker season was like waiting for santa except he was brown & nutty. We had moved and lived next to the expressway which was lined with conker trees. Watching the trees, it was amazing how they bloomed. The first year I learned it was better to wait until they fell, and any amount of stick throwing only brought you substandard conkers.
The time for battle had begun and I was well set. It did'nt go well, with one of the posh kids having some bit of concrete, masquerading as a conker. Long story short, I lost my temper and nutted him which earned me a suspension. On collecting me from school my auld man asked, where was my shoe lace? I'm convinced to this day thats the reason I got a kicking when we got home.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Church bells, I remember hearing them every Sunday morning, but not really noticing them. That was until a few years ago when myself and the Mrs went for a dirty weekend in Winchester. I had picked a hotel with one of those four poster beds next to the cathedral. Saturday night was like a color climax directors dream, but Sunday morning was like hell on earth.

Rumrat

War Hero
Fcukin hell you lot will have me in tears soon. The last time I heard stuff like this was whilst visiting an old auntie in a care home for senior citizens. 8O :D :wink:
All we need now is a Gordie telling us, "I remember, it were just aft'r war and we hod sum real liqurice" :roll: :wink:

Rumrat

War Hero
witsend said:
Church bells, I remember hearing them every Sunday morning, but not really noticing them. That was until a few years ago when myself and the Mrs went for a dirty weekend in Winchester. I had picked a hotel with one of those four poster beds next to the cathedral. Saturday night was like a color climax directors dream, but Sunday morning was like hell on earth.

Er, they do say self praise is no recommendation, do they not. :D :wink:

And I have to tell you Wits this thread is getting real close to "P1ss stained trousers" :oops: :twisted:

And edited to say church bells are the vilest sound known to man, they signify Invasion or marriage do they not. Oh same thing really. :twisted:

soleil

War Hero
A sweet called something like Spanish Gold. It was made to look like tobacco but it was a sweet and sold in sweet shops.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Rumrat said:
Fcukin hell you lot will have me in tears soon. The last time I heard stuff like this was whilst visiting an old auntie in a care home for senior citizens. 8O :D :wink:
All we need now is a Gordie telling us, "I remember, it were just aft'r war and we hod sum real liqurice" :roll: :wink:

I remember only having liqurice root to chew to get the taste.

(granny) said:
I remember only having liqurice root to chew to get the taste.

Sweets were on Ration, so we had to make do with some thing called Spanish Wood,
and I'm wondering if we are all talking about this stuff?

Looked similar to the old type Rawplugs, and turned your tongue and lips bright yellow.

Jerry