The Which Guide To Joining The RN (v1.0 Lil's)

THIS THREAD IS FAB and mildly amusing I guess. Please continue for those that actually miss the 'comrades' ready to dob you in at the slightest 'error'.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Granny: A term originated in the Army but now commonly used throughout the Armed Forces. "DOB" comes from "Daily Occurrence Book" (what used to be known as the "Gangway Incident Log") when the QM would write a SITREP about incidents during his watch. So to "DOB someone in" was to report them or their actions in the Daily Occurrence Book.From a professional perspective I could learn a lot about a Ship's Company from reading DOBs (current and archived). And any subsequent disciplinary action taken against those who appeared in the Log was the decision of the Reg Staff, not the QM, whose only duty was to report the such matters. So personally I think Lissa is a little bit miffed she caught returning back on board once too often with someone other than her fella, hence the bitterness in her comment above towards her "oppos"... :oops:

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
Thanks SPB, it sounded a little like a Junior School child telling tales. Once again I find that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
I thought a Chief G.I. could 'teach' anyone to do anything !..... by numbers, or otherwise.
That was 1974...this is now. God knows how many brain cells have gone adrift during these last 38 years. (hmmm...have a feeling I've just opened the floodgates...)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
That was 1974...this is now. God knows how many brain cells have gone adrift during these last 38 years. (hmmm...have a feeling I've just opened the floodgates...)

Bloody hell mate first the brain going and now incontinence, its no fun getting older for you, is it?

The Royal Navy is now an Equal Opportunities employer, so anyone with sight-impairment is more than welcome to pop along to their nearest AFCO complete with guide dog.

Midgets and dwarfs are in short supply and there are plenty of careers available for them - especially on small ships.

It is now possible to enter straight from civilian life and be automatically selected for Admiral Training at BRNC Dartmouth (candidates must be at least 17 and have a full driving licence and be able to make a decent Horses Neck)

Anyone wishing to join the Royal Navy as a pilot, is requested to bring his/her own aeroplane, as we are still waiting for a boxful of new ones from Amazon.

DEAF PEOPLE CAN ALSO JOIN THE ROYAL NAVY AS SONAR OPERATORS OR HELICOPTER ENGINE TESTERS. (Get a friend to shout this line at you).

The minimum age for entry into the Royal Navy has been raised to 86.

Please note: Due to the lack of facilities, volunteers for the Royal Navy Submarine Service will do their training on the Circle Line of the London Underground in a carriage with blacked out windows (duration 3 weeks).

Royal Marines WILL ONLY BE RECRUITED from the town of Scunthorpe until January 2014, when recruitment Tranche II moves to Birkenhead. Further towns, cities and villages will be selected throughout the year.

That is all