The welfare System...... Too good or Not good enough?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
For those that haven't picked up on it, you can claim part of your other halves tax allowance if they are aren't using it all, I think it's close to £1200 now, so it's worth looking into.

Sumo

War Hero
For those that haven't picked up on it, you can claim part of your other halves tax allowance if they are aren't using it all, I think it's close to £1200 now, so it's worth looking into.
Las time I looked I was earning too much to do that.

Definitely @janner - Dependent on qualifying income(s)*

When that scheme was first introduced it was me who had to point it out to our accountant (FGS :mad: !). EDIT - BTW he was binned shortly afterwards...

Having then just sold our business & retired he checked, I was right & told him to 'make it so'. Since then it's been Auto SOP for the two of us.:)

*Sadly, I suspect there must be quite a few 'OAPs' not quite so savvy who have yet to appreciate this scheme and no-one to advise them...Spread Ye the Word!

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Definitely @janner - Dependent on qualifying income(s)*

When that scheme was first introduced it was me who had to point it out to our accountant (FGS :mad: !). EDIT - BTW he was binned shortly afterwards...

Having then just sold our business & retired he checked, I was right & told him to 'make it so'. Since then it's been Auto SOP for the two of us.:)

*Sadly, I suspect there must be quite a few 'OAPs' not quite so savvy who have yet to appreciate this scheme and no-one to advise them...Spread Ye the Word!
your partner pays income tax at the basic rate, which usually means their income is between £11,851 and £46,350

If you on higher rate of tax, nope

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My point being. The level of outrage is disproportionate to the amount of people that are being outraged about.
i.e. There are hardly any people who actually see this as a lifestyle choice. Smoke and mirrors, (or the Daily Mail as we like to call it.).

Sumo

War Hero
My point being. The level of outrage is disproportionate to the amount of people that are being outraged about.
i.e. There are hardly any people who actually see this as a lifestyle choice. Smoke and mirrors, (or the Daily Mail as we like to call it.).
That because the bods, want to believe someone is getting something for nothing, and they are dipping out. Unfortunately the few scammers that hit the press adds fuel to the fire. Thus allowing politicians potential voters from the outrage bus, if they pick on the scroungers. Anything for votes.