The welfare System...... Too good or Not good enough?

slim

War Hero
The welfare System...... Too good or Not good enough?

The welfare system has been around for longer than most on here have been alive.
The biggest change (in my view) came when a Labour government introduced The National health act.
This promised cradle to grave health care.
However I believe that the welfare system was always meant to be a safety net.
A system to get you through troubled times.
Why is it that now many claimants see it as a Lifestyle choice?
When interviewed many state that the reason they cannot work is because immigrants have taken all the jobs.
What a load of bollocks, these immigrants are doing the work that these lazy sods would not do if they were offered it.

So is the benefits system too generous in that some remain on it for life (stand fast the genuine benefit claimants)?
Or is it too little to be able to eat healthy food and live properly?

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I agree it was only ever designed as a safety net, not a lifestyle choice. For the short-term (as intended) it is perfectly adequate, if not over generous.

I remember the stigma of "National assistance'. Nobody wanted to go on it if they could possibly avoid it. When (and why) that stigma disappeared I'm not sure.

As for immigrants taking all the jobs, that is plainly not true. What it often boils down to is that the job doesn't pay enough to make it worthwhile to the claimant. - Tough, take the job or lose your benefits!

We have a soft society of entitled little sh*ts. This needs rectifying.

It's all very complex...providing for those in genuine need, as we should, and ensuring those milking the system, either legally or otherwise, don't! The lazy conniving scrotes always seem to come out ahead whereas many who are in genuine need miss out in this effort to close what are perceived as loopholes. Back in the day I was often offered the explanation for not working, by the "apparently unemployable that by the time travelling, meals, taxation are considered they are financially better off on benefits, comfy in front of the TV with fully funded fags and beer. Such people need benefits cut right back so much, that working for a wage is the only option.

Andy_Cap

War Hero
To claim benefits here (Germany ) you first have to go througha means test which is repeated every six months.
It's not a perfect system but does weed out a lot of the scroungers.

fishhead

War Hero
The main problem that I can see with the present Welfare system is that it is far too easy to defraud. There seems to be a steady stream of fraudulent claimants who have been found out passing through the courts. The people meant to detect these frauds are woefully understaffed and can only scratch the surface.
By all means make sure new claimants are only getting what they're entitled but put a lot more effort into exposing the scroungers I say.

As a modern compassionate country we should definitely have a safety net for those who either through illness (long term or short) or have lost their job. How we ensure that the individual or family is looked after is open to considerable debate. Personally, I do not feel the right way is to put money into the individuals hand. Rent and utility bills can be paid directly, vouchers should be used for food shopping.

Some may say this is demeaning and the individual should have the right to decide how to spend their benefits. I would disagree being that it is supposed to be a safety net and designed to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Get the luxuries when you get back into employment.

However for the disabled, long term sick, I think they fall into a different category and should be looked at differently. Perhaps do the same for housing and utilities but in effect give them a disability pension to do as they like. After all, they have no choice whether to work or not in most cases.

repoman

War Hero
Aus May be heading down the right track here, for a change. In a number of chosen areas the dole is paid into a special account. Then the recipient can only purchase things using a special form of transaction card. Fags, alcohol, cannot be purchased, and of course it cannot be wasted on gambling. The lefties are up in arms about it being a breach of their civil rights of course, but I think the scheme has merit.

Sumo

War Hero
Aus May be heading down the right track here, for a change. In a number of chosen areas the dole is paid into a special account. Then the recipient can only purchase things using a special form of transaction card. Fags, alcohol, cannot be purchased, and of course it cannot be wasted on gambling. The lefties are up in arms about it being a breach of their civil rights of course, but I think the scheme has merit.
But what about the rights to smoking and drinking when they feel fit to do so?

Waspie

War Hero
That would get my vote. Seems a logical route and sod the do-gooding lefties and their super soft opinions!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
On top of the Aussie scheme, I'd like to see a compulsory 5 day working week, say for four hours a day, either on some sort of community jobs, or for those with low educational standards (not for Uni. students) some sort of educational programme for the same time period. This would have the additional benefit of helping to reduce the number of those working and still cliaming. There is also a need for a centralised system whereby a thumb print is taken so that you can only claim once..

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Good Morning

Please find below details of a job opportunity that has come to us which may be of help to the veterans on your books.

Please feel free to share this opportunity and come back to me with anyone that is successful in securing a position, as it’s always good to know when one of our veterans is successful in securing new employment:

One of the Employment Agencies in the Durham and Teeside area has secured a contract with The Houses of Parliament to source approx 100+ contactors in the following trades:

· Plasterers
· Carpenters
· Painters/decorators
· Ceiling Fixers
· General Labourers

It is a guaranteed 8 years minimum permanent employment, and the client will have other contracts in the future.
They would prefer ex-military candidates but they will consider civilians as well.
All candidates must pass full security clearance, however this does not discount those with criminal convictions however they must be open and honest, if they mislead they will be permanently excluded from site. It is ok if they have a conviction - Rehabilitation of Offenders etc as long as they disclose it, some convictions will disclude them but not all.
Attached are copies of the security clearance document which takes about two weeks to clear (and a copy of a booklet explaining the security clearance process)

The contact at Torus is Andy Nolan, who is ex military himself.

Phone: 01642 988479
Alternate: 01642 688499

Email- [email protected]

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Fiona

Fiona Hamilton
Service Delivery Coach | Service Delivery Support - Team Leader | Armed Forces Champion & Armed Forces Mental Health First Aider | Department for Work and Pensions | Work Services Directorate | Surrey & Sussex District | Worthing Jobcentre Plus | Crown House | High Street | Worthing | BN11 1NG | Tel: 01903 286218 | Fax number 01903 286137 |www.dwp.gov.uk | : @WorthingJCP
Please consider the environment before printing |

repoman

War Hero
But what about the rights to smoking and drinking when they feel fit to do so?
Sod the parasitic dole bludging bastards. I’m now 64 and still work full time. I pay out of my own pocket for everything I get. No work....no goodies. Stand fast pensioners and the truely needy. $28 for a pack of 20 smokes now..want
Them work for them.

Sumo

War Hero
Sod the parasitic dole bludging bastards. I’m now 64 and still work full time. I pay out of my own pocket for everything I get. No work....no goodies. Stand fast pensioners and the truely needy. $28 for a pack of 20 smokes now..want
Them work for them.
Don't smoke save $28 a day?

Bunts59

Badgeman
The thing that really hacks me off is that people like me who have paid my tax and NI all my working life are now not entitled to help when l need it. Because SWMBO earns what she does precludes me from benefit other than PIP and yet there are some scrounging [email protected] who have never worked getting thousands. System is totally [email protected] up.

The thing that really hacks me off is that people like me who have paid my tax and NI all my working life are now not entitled to help when l need it. Because SWMBO earns what she does precludes me from benefit other than PIP and yet there are some scrounging [email protected] who have never worked getting thousands. System is totally [email protected] up.
Indeed, and always seem to have enough for fags, taxi journeys, no public transport appealing to these citizens, beer, mobile phone contracts ( not to mention the I phones themselves, an expense I cannot justify myself) is it any wonder the 'right,' is becoming so appealing to those who always considered themselves 'moderates''? Yea the system is well and truly FUBAR!

Waspie

War Hero
Agree the system is flawed. I am beyond state retirement age but elect to continue work. (My choice).
I no longer pay NI and that is the only concession from HMG I have ever received!!! (I lie - I receive a winter fuel allowance because I am old and infirm). State pension comes out of your tax allowance which in turn means the rest of your hard earned, including pensions are all taxed at 20% or higher if truly affluent!!!

Sumo

War Hero
Indeed, and always seem to have enough for fags, taxi journeys, no public transport appealing to these citizens, beer, mobile phone contracts ( not to mention the I phones themselves, an expense I cannot justify myself) is it any wonder the 'right,' is becoming so appealing to those who always considered themselves 'moderates''? Yea the system is well and truly FUBAR!
Same for Mrs S I work, so she is not entitled to anything?