The weekend before you deploy

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by angry_mac, May 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well what do you do, try and not bark at the kids, have a go at the missus, because you're pissed off. Second deployment in 5 months, hmmm thankgod I leave the ship 2 months in, after 4 years. Amazing my marriage has survived, just. I really dont know what I wouldve done if I had to do the full 7 months, am I a poof because I'd just miss my kids and better half just too much. This deployment isnt one of those that keep your mind occupied either. After 20 years in the mob, have I finally had enough of this crap, yes.
    So Im off to grab some qualty time with my loved ones, [email protected] me this is a single's man job, oh well 4 years to do. By the way this isnt I hate the mob rants, I do actually love it, but the regularity of going away for us ratings compared to just ten years ago is now ridiculous, and unsustainable.
    Never looked forward to a 30 hr flight like Im looking forward to the one in July.

2. 'Twas the reason why I took redundancy back in the late nineties "Options for Change". What you are experiencing sounds perfectly normal to me. as going away had lost the "spark" it once had.
    And I didn't have any family as you have - just a wife that I had to divorce first :)

Just enjoy your RDP whilst you are ROMFT.

3. I know exactly what you mean Mac. Coming towards the end of my time I was offered 6 months on a Caribean Island which naturally I jumped at. On the way home that evening I thought to myself, "I don't want that, I've had enough of all this flying around the world etc;".

I did turn it down even though it had been confirmed with drafty that it was mine. So many people thought I was mad, but the excitement does go out of it after 25 years.

Hang in there for the 'pensh' though, really worth having.

4. Not at all mate, we get older, wiser and start to actually give a fcuk. At some point we all realise that there are more important things in life, I've seen too many people sacrifice their families for the Pusser and end up alone. For the first decade it's all rosy and you can accept it, after that it seems to suddenly become hard, really hard.

Hang on in there.