The Waterloo Petition

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by mikh, Jul 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Stupid idea. The sort of trashy nonsense Cameron might think will get votes though.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Can I have a Cold War one and one for surviving options for change?

3. Agree with you there Seaweed, cannot see the point myself. Not sure how they got my address.

4. Sorry about that, it was the only way I could get rid of them ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Take a T, a N a C and a U, then jumble them up a little

6. Given that a National Defence Medal would be something that would look a bit smarter (IMO) than the Veterans' pin badge, I wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing. I think we put on the hair shirt too quickly in this country. Why not wear a medal with pride for serving our country?

7. I got one of these letters this morning. I got the impression they got my address from the legion but since I binned the letter I can't check.
    In my view the whole thing is total nonsense, I didn't get any medals when I was in, why should I want one just for having served?

8. War dodger

• Like Like x 2
  9. Medals should only be awarded for gallantry or stealth.
    As a devout coward the only medal I was awarded was my PDu and I only just managed to keep that.
    We do not want to emulate the Yanks who seem to get awarded medals for anything including being able to wipe their own arse.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Someone here or on ARRSE coined the expression; 'professional ex serviceman'. There is a type of ex factor, usually of modest rank and no experience who probably hated every minute of active service who wants to be aligned and associated with the Armed Forces every moment of everyday and wants the world to know.

The fewer real gongs, the more chocolate ones they acquire. I hate the personally awarded ( bought) gongs enough, I couldn't make a case for a veterans' medal. The badge has already been devalued by the removal of any meaningful length of service. ( I've no objection to short service wounded in action having the badge).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Letter free at present so hopefully wont be bothered ... not that I would want one anyway