Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The walk of shame

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Anyone know the score with bounty? Would I still be on top whack from my TA days or do you go back to level 1?

JSP 754 04.0507 is your friend.

Previous full-time service in any of HM Regular Forces, or service in any of the Reserve Forces in which the full training bounty has been earned by the completion of obligatory training, may count towards qualifying service for higher rates of bounty, provided such service terminated less than 3 years before joining/re-joining any of the volunteer Reserve Forces.

There's a table of the conversion included, basically each year of service counts as a bounty year, so 4 years gets you onto bounty year 5.

Though this is from the Oct 2012 edition I found online, so check on DII before storming the PSI/RNSO/pay office.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
JSP 754 04.0507 is your friend.

There's a table of the conversion included, basically each year of service counts as a bounty year, so 4 years gets you onto bounty year 5.

Though this is from the Oct 2012 edition I found online, so check on DII before storming the PSI/RNSO/pay office.

Cheers shippers. From what I read that's a win then. I left the TA 2 years ago on top whack, so in theory I should still be on top whack.

Sumo

War Hero
Would I get to call officers mate?

Tell me more.

Well that all depends, I had some gold ring wearers I called mates but did not normally call them mates, I would use their first names as they were mates.
Those that had earned respect would be called WEO, TASO etc. the ********* who would always be ********* got called sir.
But you also had to know time and place; if we had high rank visitors on-board it would be Captain Sir, WEO sir
Obviously being a skimmer they tried to make the thinking a bit easier, so you called all officers Sir.
But obviously if you had stayed in the RN long enough you would have worked it all out in the end, instead of jumping ship and then regretting it, typical of an OD
You said as an OD you had no respect for the RNR, quote from original post below.
“Now the RNR is something I had never seriously considered, save for seeing a few scruffy RNR types milling around the dockyard and being jiffed to show some of them round the ship on a duty weekend, I rarely encountered them. Typically I looked down upon them with distain and labelled them as grown up sea cadets who were 'really not required”.

So what are you really after work as a civvy to earn good money and play at being a matelot in the wavy navy, or are you trying to reclaim a good time and run ashore that you gave up some years ago? Seems like you screwed up and are now trying to have your cake and eat it. On can only hope you achieve your aims and you give the RNR the commitment you did not show in the RN.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm living proof that the rules are there to be broken.

Indeed, including several of the laws of nature....

Wish you well down your new path. I always found the CW regulations most frustrating and an unnecessary impediment, and for what it's worth my record for a member of my Division was 6 months flash to bang - table to AIB.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Well that all depends, I had some gold ring wearers I called mates but did not normally call them mates, I would use their first names as they were mates.
Those that had earned respect would be called WEO, TASO etc. the ********* who would always be ********* got called sir.
But you also had to know time and place; if we had high rank visitors on-board it would be Captain Sir, WEO sir
Obviously being a skimmer they tried to make the thinking a bit easier, so you called all officers Sir.
But obviously if you had stayed in the RN long enough you would have worked it all out in the end, instead of jumping ship and then regretting it, typical of an OD
You said as an OD you had no respect for the RNR, quote from original post below.
“Now the RNR is something I had never seriously considered, save for seeing a few scruffy RNR types milling around the dockyard and being jiffed to show some of them round the ship on a duty weekend, I rarely encountered them. Typically I looked down upon them with distain and labelled them as grown up sea cadets who were 'really not required”.

So what are you really after work as a civvy to earn good money and play at being a matelot in the wavy navy, or are you trying to reclaim a good time and run ashore that you gave up some years ago? Seems like you screwed up and are now trying to have your cake and eat it. On can only hope you achieve your aims and you give the RNR the commitment you did not show in the RN.

Wow, you're a barrel of laughs aren't you.

Cheers dits.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I really pissed off you submariners didn't I?

Not that I feel the need to justify myself or my actions to anyone on here, but just for clarity this is why I joined the RNR.

Since leaving the RN, I have been a reservist albeit with the TA, not the RNR. Being a reservist fits in well with my lifestyle, I enjoy the camaraderie as well as the opportunity to push myself and do new and challenging things. I like knowing that the opportunity for me to deploy is there if I want it. (Deploying on a warship is mega, you sundodgers should try it sometime). ;)

It's not about playing soldiers or sailors in my spare time, it's about using the skills and experience from my full time service, in order to do something worthwhile. It's also about bringing experience of the real world to the armed forces, something which in my experience is lacking in many places.

I stand by my original statement, when I served in the RN, I did look down upon the reserves with disdain, as did everyone else I knew. Bad press from the RNR, a deeply ingrained 'us and them' attitude and a lack of mutual understanding on both parts only served to bolster this view that I held and which many others in the regular forces still hold. Given my short experience of the RNR, thus far I am realising that there are indeed many many things very wrong with this organisation and my original view does appear to be justified in some respects.

Do I regret leaving the RN? Did I screw up? Did I ****. I did my fair share of full time service, deployed 3 times and had a generally mega time, but I knew that there was more to life than being in the RN and I knew that for a man of reasonable intelligence, the world could potentially be my oyster. Likewise I don't feel like I owe the RN anything, I don't feel I've shown a lack of commitment to the RN by only serving for 6 years. It's only a job after all, I put in what I got out. If you feel that you owe the RN 22 years of your life, then more the fool you.

I was right in my choice and getting out early was definitely the right thing for me. Since banging out, I've achieved more than I ever could've hoped to in the RN. Do I miss it? Of course I do, but I don't for one minute regret going outside and I know that my life couldn't possibly be any better than it is now. The RNR allows me to maintain the fantastic lifestyle I currently have, while keeping my links to the mob and not throwing away 6 years of RN service and 5 years of TA service.

So I hope that clears things up for you Sumo, not that I give a **** what a stinking sundodger thinks of me. ;)

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Piss off submariners? what's submarines got to do with anything, are you suffering from a touch of green eye that you need to mention that?

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer

While I was walting it up, we also had the RNR onboard?

Sumo

War Hero
I really pissed off you submariners didn't I?

Not that I feel the need to justify myself or my actions to anyone on here, but just for clarity this is why I joined the RNR.

So I hope that clears things up for you Sumo, not that I give a **** what a stinking sundodger thinks of me. ;)

Pissed off submariners? Not really we tend to be a very tolerant bunch, one has to be when living in a sardine tube, a lot of us did both GS and SM so hopefully have a balanced opinion of both services, I know of one chap who was drafted from GS to SM he decided to do his 5 years SM and return to sunbathing, he banked all his SM pay and brought a new car with it when he returned topside, SM service is not for all.
But an old saying that fits well, do not slag off some one’s life choices until you have walked in their shoes, or something like that

Not that I feel the need to justify myself or my actions to anyone on here, but just for clarity this is why I joined the RNR, you obviously felt you need to?

So I hope that clears things up for you Sumo, not that I give a **** what a stinking sundodger thinks of me. After that long dit I assume you do not give a f***

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
"But an old saying that fits well, do not slag off some one’s life choices until you have walked in their shoes, or something like that"

Is the part two of the saying 'do not whatever you do though sniff an SM's shoes or other garments unless you are tired of life'?

Sumo

War Hero
"But an old saying that fits well, do not slag off some one’s life choices until you have walked in their shoes, or something like that"

Is the part two of the saying 'do not whatever you do though sniff an SM's shoes or other garments unless you are tired of life'?

My wife would agree with that sentiment, when I arrived home from sea, she would make me strip off put all my clothes into the washing machine, it would then go through about 2 or 3 complete wash cycles before she would open the machine, if it still smelled after that, it went round again.
I was banished to the shower to change my body smell from at sea to at home.
Then it was time to get reacquainted, but women are just fussy and over sensitive.

So you are saying you have never drunk a pint from a submariner steaming welly after it had been poured through his socks?

Last edited:

MG Maniac

War Hero
My wife would agree with that sentiment, when I arrived home from sea, she would make me strip off put all my clothes into the washing machine, it would then go through about 2 or 3 complete wash cycles before she would open the machine, if it still smelled after that, it went round again.
I was banished to the shower to change my body smell from at sea to at home.
Then it was time to get reacquainted, but women are just fussy and over sensitive.

So you are saying you have never drunk a pint from a submariner steaming welly after it had been poured through his socks?

Thats a new one Sumo ... never thought sundodgers actually wore socks :toothy7:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Walk-through cancer diagnoses and robotics muscles among groundbreaking projects backed by government MoD News 0
T Whitsand walk Nearest & Dearest 12
E Walk down to HMS PEMBROKE, Chatham Bases / Shore Est 0
BillyNoMates A long walk. History 2
C Blind Veterans UK 100k Walk from London to Brighton Charity 1
soleil Halifax Courier: "One Man And His Dog Ready For Epic Walk To Mark Retirement" Charity 1
BillyNoMates Walk off the Earth. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
witsend Walk like an Egyptian. Current Affairs 1
finknottle Clegg talks the talk, I hope he can walk the walk Current Affairs 28
Stirling Julia Bradbury's Icelandic Walk. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
sgtpepperband Dad to walk 100 miles in memory of Marine son Charity 3
big_red 100k walk for St. Dunstan's Charity 1
P They walk among us! Miscellaneous 0
soleil Wirral Globe: "Promenade Walk Tribute To Wirral VC War Hero" Submariners 5
C Ice Patrol - Ch 5 23 Apr - Shackleton Walk - Glacier Glasses The Corps 2
Devon_County_150 Sponsored Walk: The Devon RBL 150 14-20 November 2009 Charity 15
Scouse_Scribes SCC Team to walk Hadrians Wall in aid of H4H SCC and URNU 0
C The Cockney Walk for Help for Heroes The Corps 2
C Tomorrow in London - The Cockney Walk for Help for Heroes Charity 18
Rodge-Nufc lyke wake walk Sports and Adventure Training 5
BillyNoMates Walking the walk (Alan SHarpe) The Corps 2
M Dont walk on the grass??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 57
NotmeChief Admirals Walk the Plank over Iran Current Affairs 14
JamesH Any landing you walk away from... The Fleet Air Arm 21
X Help for Heroes Walk Charity 0
S 50 mile walk for Combat Stress Charity 0
Jimmy_Green Vaughan's Charity Walk Charity 2
N Help For Heroes Sponsored 12 hour Run/Walk Charity 7
golden_rivet Blitz walk - London Thursday 24/05 Social & Reunions 2
mad_collie 'Not unusual' to walk around with todger out? Current Affairs 8
Rincewind Rincewind's Sponsored walk is Done, paypal details here Charity 57
D The Thames Trail Challenge Walk Sunday 4th June 2006 Charity 0
soleil Daily Star: "The 'Ship Of Shame' To Be Sold For Scrap By The Royal Navy" The Fleet 22
RoyalNavyMaverick Shame Illustrious and Ark are going! fleet with no carriers The Quarterdeck 11
oberon Shame on them! Current Affairs 50
soleil Bournemouth Echo: "Poole Marines housing shame" The Corps 4
rod-gearing Oh dear ,what a shame Diamond Lil's 5
Maxi_77 Has This Government No Shame Current Affairs 11
N Name and Shame the Sweetie Man Diamond Lil's 6
NZ_Bootneck Oh, the shame! Diamond Lil's 2
slim Mothers to name and shame fathers Diamond Lil's 16
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck the ship that died of shame The Quarterdeck 10
A MESSDECK OF SHAME Diamond Lil's 4
H The Veil of Shame History 3