Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The walk of shame

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Slightly off topic, but related to qualifications and UCAS points - would a currently serving soldier intending to transfer to RN warfare officer be considered as in-service and only require 5xGCSE or direct entry and require the UCAS points... Anyone know?
If he/she transferred without a break in service, UCAS points would only be required if he/she was transferring as an Other Rank Squaddie but joining the mob as an Officer. If they join the mob as a Rating, complete training, then go for Officer, UCAS points ain't required.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Finally signed up and got attested. It took 11 months.

Points of note:

I have to do Raleigh and the whole of new entry again - cheers for that, I'm sure those 2 weeks will be massively beneficial to me and teach me loads of stuff that I didn't learn on my original 10 weeks at Raleigh, 3 deployments, 2 BOSTs, 2 JMCs, 900 + days at sea and 5 years in the TA. On the plus side my performance at Raleigh and during new entry will be a bonus point that can be used by the CO to bolster my case for AIB.

I was offered the 'opportunity' to bang in the whole 10 weeks at Raleigh again if I want and go through with a regular class. I politely declined. One thing that does bother me, if I was rejoining the RN, I would not have to do Raleigh again, but for the RNR I do. WTF?

If I'm honest, I'm pretty ****ed off about the Raleigh thing, the RNR has basically said they do not officially recognise my previous service, the only benefit to me is that I'll find everything a bit easier because I've done it all before, otherwise my 6 years in the RN and 5 years in the TA means absolutely shit all. I will be joining completely from scratch the same as Joe Bloggs off the street. There is zero incentive for ex regulars to join the RNR. The only reason I'm prepared to put up with this is because I want to go down the CW route. Anyone else would probably **** it off and rightly so. As mentioned in the recruiting thread, someone needs to have a serious look at this because it's ****ing bullshit.

In addition to new entry, I will be attending CW classes with the URNU. A new initiative to push potential officers towards AIB. Despite not officially recognising any of my previous service, the RNR have recognised that I am a potential officer, even if they won't let me join directly as one. The classes are already taking place for URNU cadets so putting some RNR ratings into the mix is obviously a good use of existing resources. This seems like a good idea to me. It is the unit's intention to push me to AIB ASAP, so hopefully sometime in 2014. Happy days.

Other exciting developments include the possibility for me to smash in AACC at some point, which the CO is fully supportive of. Why? Because as an AW officer working with the booties, it will beneficial.

I'm pretty positive about this, eventually I will achieve my goal of being an AW officer in the RNR providing I pull my finger out and don't **** up. However I can't help but feel like the next year is going to be a massive waste of time. From day one the RNR wanted me to join as an officer, throughout the recruitment process I've proved that I can hold my own and have a solid chance at passing AIB, I got an outstanding RT score, excellent PJFT time and solid pass at SIFT. Unfortunately due to a slight anomaly with UCAS and my particular qualification not being listed, everyone's time, effort and money is going to be wasted making me go through Raleigh again. Surely if everyone knows and agrees I can be an officer and should have been allowed to join as one, they should just let me join as one in the first place?

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
They only started 10 weeks of pt 1 training a couple of years back. You've fitted in loads since then!

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

what the actual ****?
is the RNR some private company?

what on earth do you have to do Raleigh again, yet if you joined back full time, you would not

what a waste of time and money. not surprising, though

Sumo

War Hero
Finally signed up and got attested. It took 11 months.

Points of note:

I have to do Raleigh and the whole of new entry again - cheers for that, I'm sure those 2 weeks will be massively beneficial to me and teach me loads of stuff that I didn't learn on my original 10 weeks at Raleigh, 3 deployments, 2 BOSTs, 2 JMCs, 900 + days at sea and 5 years in the TA. On the plus side my performance at Raleigh and during new entry will be a bonus point that can be used by the CO to bolster my case for AIB.

I was offered the 'opportunity' to bang in the whole 10 weeks at Raleigh again if I want and go through with a regular class. I politely declined. One thing that does bother me, if I was rejoining the RN, I would not have to do Raleigh again, but for the RNR I do. WTF?

If I'm honest, I'm pretty ****ed off about the Raleigh thing, the RNR has basically said they do not officially recognise my previous service, the only benefit to me is that I'll find everything a bit easier because I've done it all before, otherwise my 6 years in the RN and 5 years in the TA means absolutely shit all. I will be joining completely from scratch the same as Joe Bloggs off the street. There is zero incentive for ex regulars to join the RNR. The only reason I'm prepared to put up with this is because I want to go down the CW route. Anyone else would probably **** it off and rightly so. As mentioned in the recruiting thread, someone needs to have a serious look at this because it's ****ing bullshit.

In addition to new entry, I will be attending CW classes with the URNU. A new initiative to push potential officers towards AIB. Despite not officially recognising any of my previous service, the RNR have recognised that I am a potential officer, even if they won't let me join directly as one. The classes are already taking place for URNU cadets so putting some RNR ratings into the mix is obviously a good use of existing resources. This seems like a good idea to me. It is the unit's intention to push me to AIB ASAP, so hopefully sometime in 2014. Happy days.

Other exciting developments include the possibility for me to smash in AACC at some point, which the CO is fully supportive of. Why? Because as an AW officer working with the booties, it will beneficial.

I'm pretty positive about this, eventually I will achieve my goal of being an AW officer in the RNR providing I pull my finger out and don't **** up. However I can't help but feel like the next year is going to be a massive waste of time. From day one the RNR wanted me to join as an officer, throughout the recruitment process I've proved that I can hold my own and have a solid chance at passing AIB, I got an outstanding RT score, excellent PJFT time and solid pass at SIFT. Unfortunately due to a slight anomaly with UCAS and my particular qualification not being listed, everyone's time, effort and money is going to be wasted making me go through Raleigh again. Surely if everyone knows and agrees I can be an officer and should have been allowed to join as one, they should just let me join as one in the first place?

Unfortunately 2DD the computer said no and that is the process they follow, woe betide anyone even with good intensions that tries to book the process.
You do not have to like the process, just accept it or walk away; you are playing with far too big a dinosaur to expect change. Your best option if you are up for the challenge is to become a RNR officer and try and change the process from within to benefit future candidates.

Good luck

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
2DD - you have my utmost sympathy - you've been royally stuffed by a system which seems to know nothing about how to apply common sense.

The one note of caution I'd add is be careful about revealing too much personal identifiers online - the RNR is very good at harbouring people who hold grudges and hold it against you. Being rung up while at work by a fairly senior RNR officer and subjected to what can at best be described as abuse because of something I wrote on a social media site was an interesting experience.

Elements of the RNR hold a grudge against anyone who doesnt believe that it is perfect and needs no change. Dare to question, dare to suggest, dare to offer a view that things are not 100% perfect and you will be subject to what I can only describe as being a very unpleasant bullying culture.

G

guestm

2DD - you have my utmost sympathy - you've been royally stuffed by a system which seems to know nothing about how to apply common sense.

The one note of caution I'd add is be careful about revealing too much personal identifiers online - the RNR is very good at harbouring people who hold grudges and hold it against you. Being rung up while at work by a fairly senior RNR officer and subjected to what can at best be described as abuse because of something I wrote on a social media site was an interesting experience.

Elements of the RNR hold a grudge against anyone who doesnt believe that it is perfect and needs no change. Dare to question, dare to suggest, dare to offer a view that things are not 100% perfect and you will be subject to what I can only describe as being a very unpleasant bullying culture.

Jesus, this thread is really showing the RNR in it's true light. My opinion of the RNR has never been high, these pages have cemented that.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Who the hell would want to work in an environment like that? For free..? :shock:

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I vividly recall as a Young Officer that I expressed views late one night in the Wardroom that the RNR100 parade (Horseguards thing) was not a great way of showing off the RNR as being operationally relevant, and that we probably wouldnt get much attention for it, and why didnt we focus on OP TELIC as a sign of the RNR being a bit more useful. This wasnt me saying 'what ****ing idiot came up with this', it was constructive comments about showing the service in a better way.

The following week I was pulled to one side by a senior unit member and told in no subtle way 'be seen and do NOT be heard in the wardroom in future. The CO is linked to the parade and was not happy at the views you expressed on it'.

I rest my case, but sadly I have plenty more like that where suggestions of change are not well received no matter how constructively they are offered.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Ah the good old blind adherence to rules.... After many years of being recommended and pushed to become a CW candidate, I finally caved in duly completed the request form. Due to a business trip, I missed the first available table, but made sure that my DO and I were available for the next one, which happened to be the day after my birthday. At table, my DO makes a strong case citing the several recommends I'd had over the years but the CO's decision is "request denied". The rules in place required a minimum of one year of CW reports prior to taking AIB which had to be taken before age 35.... having turned 34 the day before I was therefore too old by 1 day.

Last edited:

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Well it appears I've seriously rattled some people's cages - but in a good way.

Since day one I've been bleating on to anyone who'll listen that this situation is utter bullshit. For good measure I've also been kicking off royally about the massive waiting time to join up.

After much kicking off, an appeal was lodged by my unit to give me a training waiver and thankfully it was accepted. I have now been rated AB1 with all my previous competencies reinstated. This means I am passed in all respects to attend LRCC. Definitely a win, but one which has been a massive struggle to achieve. An ex regular wren has since joined the unit with a 6 year service gap and she too has received a training waiver, although she hadn't pushed for one. It seems a new more sensible policy is on the cards for ex regulars joining the RNR.

As for the recruiting thing, obviously my own experience can't be changed, but in the future applicants will be able to attest early, joining the RNR for some limited (paid) training post RT and interview, but pre security checks and medical. Anything that shortens the current joining process can only be a good thing. Obviously I can't take credit for this idea, but I like to think my gobbing off on here and at my unit, has at least brought the situation to people's attention.

So it turns out you can get shit done in the RNR, but you have to kick off at some very important people first.

Things still aren't ideal, 3 pay days have passed since I was attested and I'm still yet to see a penny from the RNR, with the fuel I'm spending and what I spent going through the recruiting process, I'm about a grand down. My rig consists of a 13 year old 4's shirt with paint stains on it, a moth eaten beret that has been in a bin bag in my cellar for the past 7 years, some Lowa mountain boots and a set of borrowed trousers. Despite me being a fairly average size, stores can't get it's shit in order to get me all the uniform items I need.

They've given me loads of pusser's socks though, so that's great.

Despite all that, I'm reasonably optimistic about this now. I've now started on the CW route and my future in the RNR looks fairly promising. This year I hope to get my hook, although if things go to plan, I'll hopefully be an officer cadet before I get that opportunity.

That's if the ***** start paying me.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Oh, one more thing.

Anyone know the score with bounty? Would I still be on top whack from my TA days or do you go back to level 1?

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If you haven't realised by now that you are attempting to rejoin an organisation which has rules as complicated and as unbending as a Quidditch match, then maybe you didn't pick up that much in your 6 years after all.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
If you haven't realised by now that you are attempting to rejoin an organisation which has rules as complicated and as unbending as a Quidditch match, then maybe you didn't pick up that much in your 6 years after all.

I'm living proof that the rules are there to be broken.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Walk-through cancer diagnoses and robotics muscles among groundbreaking projects backed by government MoD News 0
T Whitsand walk Nearest & Dearest 12
E Walk down to HMS PEMBROKE, Chatham Bases / Shore Est 0
BillyNoMates A long walk. History 2
C Blind Veterans UK 100k Walk from London to Brighton Charity 1
soleil Halifax Courier: "One Man And His Dog Ready For Epic Walk To Mark Retirement" Charity 1
BillyNoMates Walk off the Earth. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
witsend Walk like an Egyptian. Current Affairs 1
finknottle Clegg talks the talk, I hope he can walk the walk Current Affairs 28
Stirling Julia Bradbury's Icelandic Walk. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
sgtpepperband Dad to walk 100 miles in memory of Marine son Charity 3
big_red 100k walk for St. Dunstan's Charity 1
P They walk among us! Miscellaneous 0
soleil Wirral Globe: "Promenade Walk Tribute To Wirral VC War Hero" Submariners 5
C Ice Patrol - Ch 5 23 Apr - Shackleton Walk - Glacier Glasses The Corps 2
Devon_County_150 Sponsored Walk: The Devon RBL 150 14-20 November 2009 Charity 15
Scouse_Scribes SCC Team to walk Hadrians Wall in aid of H4H SCC and URNU 0
C The Cockney Walk for Help for Heroes The Corps 2
C Tomorrow in London - The Cockney Walk for Help for Heroes Charity 18
Rodge-Nufc lyke wake walk Sports and Adventure Training 5
BillyNoMates Walking the walk (Alan SHarpe) The Corps 2
M Dont walk on the grass??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 57
NotmeChief Admirals Walk the Plank over Iran Current Affairs 14
JamesH Any landing you walk away from... The Fleet Air Arm 21
X Help for Heroes Walk Charity 0
S 50 mile walk for Combat Stress Charity 0
Jimmy_Green Vaughan's Charity Walk Charity 2
N Help For Heroes Sponsored 12 hour Run/Walk Charity 7
golden_rivet Blitz walk - London Thursday 24/05 Social & Reunions 2
mad_collie 'Not unusual' to walk around with todger out? Current Affairs 8
Rincewind Rincewind's Sponsored walk is Done, paypal details here Charity 57
D The Thames Trail Challenge Walk Sunday 4th June 2006 Charity 0
soleil Daily Star: "The 'Ship Of Shame' To Be Sold For Scrap By The Royal Navy" The Fleet 22
RoyalNavyMaverick Shame Illustrious and Ark are going! fleet with no carriers The Quarterdeck 11
oberon Shame on them! Current Affairs 50
soleil Bournemouth Echo: "Poole Marines housing shame" The Corps 4
rod-gearing Oh dear ,what a shame Diamond Lil's 5
Maxi_77 Has This Government No Shame Current Affairs 11
N Name and Shame the Sweetie Man Diamond Lil's 6
NZ_Bootneck Oh, the shame! Diamond Lil's 2
slim Mothers to name and shame fathers Diamond Lil's 16
ET(MESM)whogivesafeck the ship that died of shame The Quarterdeck 10
A MESSDECK OF SHAME Diamond Lil's 4
H The Veil of Shame History 3