The wait

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cash, Oct 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi new poster, dont mind pisstakers as at this point this may sound like a stupid question, probably is. i will continue anyway. My question is i have gone through the rt test and and just waiting for my medical date. Been told i can blast out the interview and fitness test quickly. So my longwinded question is as a submariner weapons engineer (apparently there in short supply at the moment) how long do you think it will take to be offered a spot in basic training (provided i pass everything first time as intended) been told january by CIO but on here it looks more likely a longer wait. Cheers for any and all replys
    Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be inclined to follow the advice offered by a qualified careers adviser in your AFCO. January's certainly do-able.

3. I believe it's like a game trying to get in - your AFCO will probably have the power to get you in quicker if you show determination. Give them a call and see. They're there to help, so why not give them a bell? I have my PJFT tomorrow, and then I've done anything and it'll just be a wait :(

4. Cheers for the reply i gave them a call yesterday as i was a little worried and they said january for my trade if i get through everything. i was just wondering how long it took people who are in but thanks for the reply what you looking at joining up as? And how long you has the process taken you so.far?

5. Cheers NS that seems like the way to go about it certainly isnt the longest waiting time ive seen on here for other trades

6. They won't knowingly lie to you, if its a shortage and they predict you can be in by january then you are probably looking at joining in january provided you pass everything and that :p

7. Nah my AFCO would have tried to get rid of me long ago if they had the chance probably :p the wait is frustrating but also fair. If someone for the same trade passed before you then they should enter service first; and for the navy they need people for certain trades so need to get them in quicker which again is fair enough. Still warrants a little moan now and then but its good to have a little moan now and then, your CA will do all they can for you so pestering won't help.

8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh it's a huge game with no prior thought to the logistics of branch training on completion of phase 1 and just a laugh taking on too many of one branch and not enough of others as and when each AFCO chooses.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Bull.

The AFCO can only request an entry date once you complete selection. If you dawdle, people passing the test after you but completing selection faster, will be allocated a joining date ahead of you.

It pays to be a winner and complete selection as fast as possible, but we can't create jobs that don't exist.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh I dunno - I had plenty of First Lieutenants who made a career out of doing exactly that! :shock:

• Like Like x 2