The Training Drop Out Rate

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Helios, Sep 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm interested in knowing what the drop out rate is like in training. How many people would you say fail to make it to the end and for what reasons? How many people are forced to drop out and is it common or expected?

I passed my PJFT in 10:30 about a month ago. Because I join in late October I've decided to start going the gym again, but this time however I actually failed to complete my 2.4km. I hadn't been going the gym for the past few weeks but even still I was playing footy 2-3 times a week for 2hrs at a time so I expected that would keep me fit. It's amazing how quickly your fitness can drop. I'm not worried, I've got plenty of time to catch up on my fitness, but it made me wonder how tough the fitness side of training is for new recruits and whether some are expelled.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Uh-oh, I thought you'd already learnt by your previous post!

Quite simply: don't prepare & you prepare to fail.

Innit.

3. Sorry Ninja Stroker, my naivety knows no bounds! It's just a good job that I make my mistakes early enough to remedy them. It was yesterday I failed my 2.4km and I honestly think it was because of a lack of resolution to finish it rather than a lack of fitness. I was being lazy basically. Tomorrow I try again though and I will pass it. And looking at my calendar I will complete it another 23 times before I start training, hopefully getting my time to under 10 mins.

(I'll be fitting in 7 5mile jogs, 100 situps and press ups a day and 14 games of footy as well)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Oi Lofty, I noticed that!

Then after breakfast, get on with the proper training :thumright: .

5. Fear not Helios, you will get back into it, I have only just now get back into push ups and sit ups and managed to scare myself at how few i can do and I have only 3 weeks to go. I concentrated on the runs only. You should have the recommended fitness regime, you have the 8 weeks til you start, get stuck in mate!

Good luck.

6. Sorry but am i wrong in thinking that something is amiss here...
    isn't the PJFT 2.4k (1.5m) run supposed to be done in under 10 mins, specifically around the 9:30 mark?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Royal Marines & RN Divers, yes.

RN (Males): 12 mins 20 Seconds- different jobs, different people, different standards of fitness and differing recruiting test scores required.

8. I apologise for being elderly (not old!), but we didn't have to do a "fitness test" when I joined. Just a medical (breathe deeply - and - exhale).
    Was it assumed that because of rationing/lack of nutty and sticky buns, that ALL young men who'd passed the medical were fit enough for service? (I know they used to turn down anyone with flat feet.) The first encounter with a RN PTI was a bit daunting for those of us who were not natural sportsmen, but I cannot recall anyone during my training being failed for lack of physical ability.
    Have we now bred an alien race of couch potatoes?

PS Just to prove I'm not the athletic type my S459 reads as follows -
    18 June 52 - cannot swim
    2 May 55 - P.P.T. (fair)
    8 June 59 - PST (good)
    (by which time I was a killick of three years with one badge)

2BM

10. It was introduced about 10 years ago, good thing too IMO, compared to the other two services we had a disproportionate number of ageing fat knackers, and evidence of a growing cadre of not-so-ageing fat knackers. Working in a joint environment it's a bad thing :)

The snag is, it's not a particularly comprehensive test, and the process should one have damaged knees or ankles is extremely laborious. There is no quick way to demonstrate fitness if one can't do the shuttle run or mile and a half.

I'd like to see the opitons broadened to include, for example, cycle or rowing based testing.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Interestingly, the RAF also get their recruits to do a Pre-Joining Fitness Test. (Not to be confused with the annual fitness test, once you're serving).

12. I was under the impression that the PJFT was introduced at much the same time as the annual.

Don't remember ever doing one myself and I was above the initial age threshold when the annual test was introduced, it didn't catch up with me for about 4 or 5 years as I recall.

13. This is true. Some sort of AFFF carry, or the 3-badge killick spec carry would be more appropriate.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Fair point, there ain't many RN canoes which are 2.4Km long.