The Times

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by eallan, Dec 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wondering if someone can fill me in...

The Times newspaper's online section never reports a military death as far as I'm aware. I'm unsure if it gets reported in print or not but for some reason these important and tragic stories never get a mention. It only seems to be The Times as well. Just wondering if anyone knows why that is? They have a dedicated Defence section on their website but not a word mentioned. Very strange.

Edited to add : When I say a military death, I mean KIA as opposed to accident, etc.

2. Are you sure??? Very heavy brows at the moment in confusion????????

3. Yeah, positive. Like I say, not sure about their print version of affairs but certainly the website and iPhone app never make any mention of a serviceman KIA. The website has an "interactive graphic" or something like that with all those KIA in Afghanistan but the news itself never makes any headlines.

Also, the interactive thing hasn't even been updated from the Marine killed on Thursday. I know his name hasn't been released but there is no mention of him on their site at all. Very strange indeed.

4. A KIA is news, sad news of course, but news. Pretending like it didn't happen is the wrong way to go about it. However, I don't think the issue is whether The Times should report a death or not.

Clearly, someone at The Times has decided that they will not cover UK military deaths in Afghanistan. Why else would they be the only news organisation that makes no mention of them?

I think the issue is this - Why don't they report the deaths in the first place? I think it is newsworthy, purely because those who died deserve to be remembered, read about by the public and respected.

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dont be a grief whore.

I never post a RIP on a thread that mentions the sad and personally shattering news to those concerned when a serviceman gets killed. Doesn't mean I'm indifferent to it.

The world keeps turning and time keeps ticking I'm afraid. The Times does it's bit but dont expect every media outlet to get down on bended knee every time someone dies doing something they knew was a possability when they signed the dotted line. Be thankful that for once some media outlets actually give a fcuk and report it.

6. Maybe because The Times regards this kind of grief whoring as being covered enough by it's sister rag, The Sun.

Maybe The Times knows it's readership is learned enough to be aware of the ongoing situation in Afghanistan to not require intervals of saccharine obituary punctuating articles about G list celebs eating cockroaches in the jungle.

Maybe, just maybe The Times feels it doesn't need to score points with the increasingly rabid "support our Forces" obsessed weirdos who gain some kind of delight in grieving and displaying how sensitive they are about our heroic boys huge sacrifice.

It's why I read it.

Edited to add: why do you care? Angry letter writer or e-petitioner?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Shit. So do i. Does this make me a bad person?

And as to the OP, i have seen mention of deaths in the Times before. It's not as common as the other papers, but it has been there. Their reporting on the current situation in Afghanistan (and indeed Iraq a while ago) is first class. We all know about deaths on operational tours and personally, i don't see why they have to be constantly named.

8. Absolutely. The Sunday Times magazine has carried some exceptional features on British Troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

9. .

The reporting of both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars has been a disgrace. There are few "facts" and the spin is so positive that it sometimes seems like a mission of mercy.

"Desert Storm" was where the rot started with "embedded journalists" - but even the press then managed to give a slightly balanced view. The IMPOSSIBILITY of assessing civililian casualties (let alone the slightly understandable idea of NOT disclosing "enemy" body count) has led to the culture of cover-up and deception that we have had for the last ten years.

I am hardly surprised that the "war(s)" have little support as they have been sanitisied into non-events.

People in 10 years time will look back at the naive behaviour of the press and population in general and compare us unfavourably with the generations of mindless sheep fed flag-waving patriotism by by-gone political puppet-masters.

10. Blackrat

My bold.

I disagree. They made it sound like it was a piece of piss. Ok, the ground war only lasted 100 hours, but it wasn't easy.

11. Sorry chap but that's bolleux. There have been many articles in print which have been bang on the money ref Afghanistan at least. (I can't comment on Iraq as I didn't win a trip there). The Times and The Telegraph in particular have both carried some exceptional articles in recent years.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. I was just wondering if there was a specific, stated reason why The Times didn't report the deaths.

I have absolutely no idea what it's like for the families or for those who knew them and am certainly not trying to wind anyone up or upset anyone.

But I'm also not looking to get off on people getting killed in action. I appreciate that they may not want to "make a circus of it" as SJRM said, but was curious to find out their reason for it.

13. .

I do NOT wish to de-rail the proper thread regarding the specific behaviour of The Times (or other papers) - but if people regard the reporting as anything other than awful, please tell me which papers give weekly or monthly death tolls, tell us which areas are calm or not and which areas are under control or not ?

I am NOT asking for the moon, merely general information which is quietly hidden away with little or no comment.

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Pray tell.... Why?

15. The Guardian takes an interest in these questions:

British dead and wounded in Afghanistan, month by month | News | guardian.co.uk

16. Frogman would that be the same Spero who was on the Vic '61/62 when we came home after the spat with Iraq,that never materialised,and it looked liked we would not make a home Xmas and more importantly,my and a lot more weddings.
    Something wrong with the shaft and he went down and worked his guts off to fix it.
    Even the Officers lashed him up with booze after we docked.
    I never talked to him,saw him plenty and he was supposed to be a real character.
    I was in the waler when he came up and one 21/2 ringer jokingly said to him"Well Done but what kind of name is Spero for an Englishman?"
    He replied "A lot better than yours Goldstein!" he got away with it but you can't say that now.
    just think if he hadn't have done so well I wouldn't have got married!

Would that be the same Spero?

17. Blackrat

I agree. Why so? Are you doing some sort of thesis?

18. So, if I understand your post correctly, the lack of both a weekly death toll and a "hot map" in the popular press equates to awful reporting?

Are you mental?

• Like Like x 1
  19. It's an interesting thread. I sometimes wonder what would please people...........
    If the public make no recognition of the fact soldiers diie, they are accused of not caring.
    If they come out in support, they are 'grief whores'.

Whatever The Times chooses to do or not do, can we please remember that the media is the only real national outlet to show support for the armed forces and has allowed Joe Bloggs an avenue of expression.

If support was not advertised, Help For Heroes would not be the success it is. Moreover, support for the military has helped counteract the left wing political bollocks that has stripped this country of it's pride, identity and feeling of safety over the past 15 years.

Make up your mind what you want - the public's support or not and don't be so judgemental as to how it's delivered.

20. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

What a strange thread, 'not enough death in the paper'.