The Sun: "Women to serve on Submarines"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know where the Sun has got this from, given that the review isn't due for completion until later in the year.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Thanks, Janner, I saw that.

With the Murdoch papers, I start threads with an immediate credit in the title so as to avoid any possible allegations of breach of copyright.

4. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

there is absolutely no substance that they can base that story on, where did they get those figures from? 5 women officers initially followed by 20 in due course? WTF?

5. "The Navy will go to great lengths to make sure that the first women are officers with impeccable credentials."

What does that mean?

6. It would seem that by having 'impeccable credentials', one is more likely to adhere to the code of social conduct. Personally, I believe credentials have little to do with relationships, particularly of sexual nature...

7. I'm a bit bemused by Mike Critchley's comment, too (I must say his contribution looks like it has been hacked about by some sub at the Sun....):

"You could even have cases of husband-hunting."

8. I must admit it looks like the Scum practising for April Fools, and when are we getting Vanquish class boats?

9. hmm..the article in the telegraph seems to say that we've had difficulty recruiting submariners. Whilst I would agree that stewards have been an issue, i feel that most other branches have done quite well. I was of the opinion that it is harder to hold on to the ones we've got...

10. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a formal announcement to the troops prior to the press release, assuming of course that the press are correct.

11. The Sun has a massive circulation of just over 3 million copies a day.

I'm wondering whether this article is going to result in women with an interest in joining the RN coming in to AFCOs and saying that they want to sign up for the "submarine jobs" they have seen mentioned in the Sun?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

[​IMG]

Nuthin' yet...

13. But seriously, what the heck has this to do with anything:

"But commanders fear women lack the upper-body strength and physical resilience to withstand intensive combat. Studies have also found that male soldiers' first instinct would be to protect wounded female comrades rather than continue fighting the enemy.

However, last November Royal Navy medic Kate Nesbitt was awarded the Military Cross after saving the life of a wounded marine under enemy fire in Afghanistan."

14. Will any husband-hunting female submariners be known as unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) operators? :lol:

15. Women on boats…..the question isn`t if it`s when….I can`t see any problems …as long as they don`t let erm park it…..

….

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Will they be drafted in same way that everyone else is?

17. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

that is a good question, if the accommodation is segregated in such a way, then you will not be drafting/appointing based on ability/career progression/the needs of the service, you will be moving people around to fill male/female bunks.
    perhaps we'll have to adopt the dutch model...