The Submarine Training

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by ProudNavyWife(tooBe), Nov 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My fella is doing his basic at the moment, going in as a SA (SM) was wondering just how HARD the submarine training is - its the need to know every nut and bolt that worries me (I understand why you need to know thou)

Dont expect it to be easy by any means but would someone who doesnt really have an mechiical knowledge be ok?

He will work his socks off I know that! and I am a worry pot

He has his heart set on boats and has already decided he would like V class based at Faslane (he had to put his preference on a form the other week) so guess he will be at plymouth on a T class! LOL :lol:

Any ideas?

2. Training isn't hard and its interesting.

The Part one training is normally classroom and boat visits etc

Part two is the escape tank------ its a make or break course-you fail and you don't get on Boats. Its lectures and practical .Best keeping an open mind and level head!! :lol:

Then the part three which he won't be able to do untill he is actually onboard a boat as crew ,if he passes that he will be presented with his Dolphins.

3. You have to bear in mind that many thousands have gone before him. If it was too difficult - only a few would make it through. Although not a Submariner myself, I believe that a lot of emphasis is placed on "on the job" training but this is the same in many walks of life. Someone onboard will be responsible for his training and development. Don't worry about it so much - if he is willing to work at it, he will make it through.

SF

4. Your OH sounds like he's overcome the biggest hurdle; he wants to be a submariner. Provided he approaches his training with a positive attitude and bags of enthusiasm, he will have no problems. The other blokes recognise when someone is trying their hardest and will help him if he struggles.

I wish him every success and hope he earns his dolphins and wears them with pride.

5. Thank you, whenever we talk its V class this and boat this and dolphins this! he is so excited.

6. Can anyone give me more in depth info as to the part 2 training and the escape tank etc :D

Also presuming one takes notice of whats being said to them and concentrates, works hard etc while on board how long can you expect Part 3 training to take before you obtain your dolphins?

7. I can tell you what Part II was like 30+ years ago but I'd be surprised if it's changed that much today.

You do 4 escape ascents in a tank of water from depths of 30 (2), 60 and 100 feet. The 30 and 60 foot ascents are done wearing only swimming trunks and a lifejacket from a bubble in the side of the tank. The 100 foot ascent is done from a mock up of an escape tower at the bottom of the tank wearing a survival suit.

With the 30s and 60 foot ascents you are wearing swim trunks and a belt with 2 long straps down the back of each leg. Trainees and an instructor enter the bubble through a hatch in the dry side of the tank. The hatch is shut and the bubble is filled with water to chest high. Compressed air pressurizes the air space to a pressure equal with the water pressure in the tank. During this process, the pressure builds up in your ears and this must be released continually by holding your nose and blowing, swallowing, or clicking your jaw (the same as when you descend in an aeroplane or descend from a high mountain). When the pressures are equalised, the small, round hatch into the tank is opened. One trainee at a time stands in front of the hatch with his back to it. He takes a full breath and signals he is ready to go by bending forward at the waist. This is a signal to the divers in the tank to take hold of the straps on his belt and drag him out into the tank. As soon as you are out in the tank you straighten to attention and shout your name, rank and service number. This is a signal that you are in control and the divers will release you. As you float up to the service you must keep blowing out the air that is expanding in your lungs else your lungs will explode. Divers all the way up will be watching you and jab you in the stomach if you are not releasing your air. It is a weird feeling because you can just keep blowing and you never run out of air. You are at the surface in a few seconds and divers drag you to the side of the tank, you get out and stand there and wait while all your buddies do their ascents and you show you have no ill effects.

You do this twice from the 30 foot bubble to ensure you've got the hang of it then once from the 60 foot bubble. Same procedure for all 3 ascents.

The 100 foot ascent is done wearing the same escape suits carried on the boats. You put on the suit, complete with a bubble hood, and a nose clip. One trainee at a time you climb the ladder up into the escape tower and close the hatch under your feet. Your suit has a connector on your wrist and you hold this into an air fitting which inflates your suit. You signal you are ready and the escape tower is flooded up to chest height. The air is pressurised again but much more quickly this time and you are popping your ears continuously to keep up with the pressure. When the air pressure is equalised to the water pressure in the tank the hatch above your head starts to crack open and water starts to leak in. Finally the air bubble in the escape tower forces the hatch completely open, water floods in and you float out. You are caught by divers and they ask you your name etc, and attach you to a wire that goes up the centre of the tank. If you respond and are breathing normally they release you and you are on your way to the surface. Because you are in an air filled suit you breath normally. As you ascend the expanding air is vented from the bottom of your hood. By continually breathing you are breathing less-compressed air with every breath. 10 or so seconds later you are at the surface and being helped out.

Part II training is fun; a little nervy the first time you do it but a piece of cake if you do exactly as you are told. I enjoyed it, especailly when we had to go back and do it all over again every 3 years to requalify. In those days, before there were any wild roller coasters, I think that was one of the most fun rides I ever got to go on.

8. Part I training is rather easy and should easily be completed by anyone who was able to fake intelligence to get into the navy in the first place. If you worked at it, Part III training used to take about 3 months. I've known people do it faster and others take a few more months but that largely depends on the amount of sea time and the operational nature of the patrols. The incentive is having to put up with a crappy bunk in the torpedo room, no beer, no movies and little rest until you complete it. Therefore, the norm is to do it faster.

The most difficult part of the process is having to chase down and corner the right qualified people to watch you do tasks, test you and sign off your task book when they have better things to do with their time.

Plenty of non-tech people complete it all without any problem. I've known people get thrown out of submarine training for medical and psychological reasons, and one or two more will get booted later because they can't live the life, but none because the training is too difficult.

9. Annie many thanks for taking the time to write that, very informative and mich appeciated mate :D

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

11. Thank you for the information sounds like he will be ok, the escape tank sounds fun but then i like crazy things like that!

12. I WAS DRAFTED INTO BOATS IN THE SIXTIES AND TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD TO GET OUT OF IT. BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME.
    THE COMRADESHIP THE HELP AND LIFESTYLE IS FANTASTIC, EVEN NOW AFTER 40 YEARS SOME OF THE OLD CREW FROM THE OCELOT HAD OUR FIRST REUNION TIS YEAR AND ARE HAVING OUR NEXT ONE IN MARCH 2007. I CANT TALK ABOUT NUKES AS I NEVER GOT THERE . YOUR HUSBAND TO BE WILL LOVE IT.

13. Actually, the main SM qualification in 1977 was ten pints of blood in the Royal Arms, stagger back across pneumonia bridge, upset the whingeing bastard who lived in the house just outside Dolphin gate and abuse the gangway staff, optional trip to slot after. ( Oh, and on rare occasions, tip over the pie van outside the gate!)

14. see Link : http://www.subescapetraining.org/

Oooooooops!! didn't see the previous posting. (must be something to do with my age!!)

15. I reckon that the 100 foot ascent is one of the best free rides going, it's worth doing with specs on if you need corrected eyesight (your face stays dry throughout inside the hood). If you ask the staff nicely, they'll let you, and it's more interesting when you can see what's going on. Takes about 12 secs to reach the top.

Part3 (SMQ) training is done with a dry phase (a mix of classroom teaching with visits to boats alongside) to get people up to speed with the jargon and layout and to stop you looking like a complete newbie when you join; and the "wet" phase, where you get to learn the main characteristics of the boat and the various items needed for safety.
    The "Part3" requires a lot of self-discipline and getting out to meet the people (too many guys try and learn it from books, it doesn't work that way) but it's not (usually) a mindless exercise in learning trivia. Most boats take a pride in getting people through and qualifying them as submariners.