The Stranglers - Why they didn't play Glastonbury

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by shellbackmac, Aug 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was an interview with JJ Brunel of the band in Scotland On Sunday in which he said that The Stranglers had told the Glastonbury organisers to go and get scraped when asked to appear in the '80s as back then it was a CND organised event and The Stranglers weren't happy with this as JJ says 'CND were funded by Moscow' BZ JJ, Just going to give some Stranglers vinyl a dust down and some loud playtime in tribute.

2. Cannot beat a bit of the original Men In Black at all. Saw them a few times back in the late 70's and early 80's and they were great live. I remember JJ Brunel twating a stage invader at one of their gigs at the Edinburgh Playhouse back in 1980. :D

3. maninblack

maninblack Book Reviewer

They play intermittently and are doing a few festivals this year. they did a UK tour last year as well.

Sadly Messers Burnel et al have upset too many industry people over the years.

4. Went out with a girl who's sister babysat for JJ Burnel, had to drop her off once. Met JJ and what a bloody nice guy he was. I think he teaches some sort of martial arts in St Ives (Cambs)
    Might have to dig out the Stranglers CD tommorow and blast it out on the A14.

5. If I remember correctly JJ was into karate and he proved he could handle himself that night in the Playhouse.

I had one of my many Strangelrs CDs (The very best of) playing in the car for my trip from Fareham to Blandford this morining and was singing along like a twenty-something once again, sheer bliss. :D

Golden Brown, Something better change, Peaches, Strange little girl, No more heroes - furking fantastic.

The Stranglers remain one of my favourite bands, particularly from that era along with The Clash.