THE STRANGEST/FUNNIEST THING YOU HAVE FOUND IN STORES?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Capn_Pugwash, Mar 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, what is the strangest, funniest or weirdest thing you have found in stores?

On a visit to Topsham in early 1995, I spotted four stillage cages full of pussers yellow half round bulkhead gashbins. The cages were labelled "WAR RESERVE STOCK - DO NOT USE"

I had an image of a line of matelots standing on Beachy Head, throwing the things at incoming ICBMs! :thumright:

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Any member of the Stores department willing to issue something....

3. How many do you want?
    Submarine Jack Dusties-- the most generous in the Andrew.

4. ?A helpful Jack Dusty?

5. My Dad found my Mum :lovestory:

6. Exactly what I needed. And they said I could have it.
    Amazing.

7. MESSDECK STORE

''Any Brasso mate '' ''NO'' '' but I can see you have crates of it ''
    '' I SAID NO!! ''

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Did hear that in the late fifties someone got into a tunnel at Corradino in Malta and found it stacked with donkey's breakfasts (sennet hats to the young) which had gone out of use way pre-1939. One does wonder what is still bricked up elsewhere (including a rudely-decorated ex-RM nightclub under Mtarfa barracks).

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...an SA working after 1330?! 8O :oops:

10. :w00t: S-F :rambo:

If the Jack Dusties were meant to actually give you stuff they would be called "Issues" but they are not that is why they are called "Stores". Ergo to store things not to pass them out willy nilly to sailors who think they may have a use for them.

Nutty

11. 1. A sober Jack Dusty V after 1 pm pre 31st July 1970.
    2. A poor (financially) CPO Jack Dustie V

Nutty

12. A LSASM with a Lister

13. In 1961 in Victorious I was detailed to work in the Main Stores Office to resolve some spares scaling issues, my No8 shirt got tattier and tattier. Whenever I went to slops it was locked and a sign said STOCKTAKING. The LTDR (S) rebuked about myshirt virtually called me liar but I got the hump and said "open your slopstore and I will buy one". He and I marched off to slops. On arrival the door was not locked and the man walked straight in and found all of the dusties were playing cards. I was almost ceremonially issued with a shirt and an apology. What annoyed about it all was that store had stayed closed for months before that

14. Things missing from stores:
    My bloody lister truck!!!!!

15. Lost a lot of gear on CONX, but you can't pin this one on me !!!!!

16. When picking up gear at RAN Stores Depot Zetland for HMAS PLATYPUS, I was asked in all seriousness by an elderly civvie storekeeper if I also wanted to pick up some 4'' gun spares while I was there. I was somewhat confused by this as nowhere in Plats had I ever seen a 4" gun, or any other sort of gun for that matter.

Suddenly the light dawned, and as gently as possible I told the old bloke that the 4" gun parts he had been so faithfully storing were probably meant for the first HMAS PLATYPUS, which had been sunk in Darwin in 1942, and if his organisation had got them there on time she may have stayed afloat.

17. As part of the run-down in Gib in the late 90s, they cleared out the caves caves and found dozens of boxes of gold band crockery, all still in its factory-packed boxes dated 1958.

Pusser paid for it to be shipped back to the UK and it was dist'ed via the RAF surplus stores system.

Twice through the dishwasher and it gets used regularly now.

18. Actually Jan I remember you being in Chatham at that time!!!!!!!

19. Actually Jan I remember you being in Chatham at that time!!!!!!!

20. jacque Le Douste

I Fink we now have a good suspect for the TWOCK of the Lister, that fecking janner barsteward Isadirty.

Failing a confession we can fit him up, I have done the course at Hendon.

Nutty