The Squeaky clean matlots

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by bigwhiteshark, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have just had a good thread on Detention Quarters.

How many ex matlots survived their time in the andrew without being on CO's report even once.

2. Not me , did a few sets of Nines ,

3. Nope

13 years and a clean record me. What was the point getting into the sh1t? It only causes a whole load of pain later.

4. Was no 9's not defaulters by the CO, stoppage of leave extra work and sometimes stoppage of pay ?

The famous boson's pipe call followed by "Men under punishment fall in outside the Master at arms office" was heard daily on most RN ships in bygone days. What type of call over the tanoy system is there today? "Naughty boy and girls fall in on the quarter deck for a lecture by the Officer of the Day"

5. Stoppage of leave , extra work & kit musters , fxxxxxxxxg hated 9s .

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No...

The Main Broadcast remains the same:

"Out pipes - Men under Punishment/Stoppage of Leave to muster; Standby for Evening Rounds" This refers to male and female bad asses... :wink:

7. Just reading that brings back the memories , aagghh . :pukel:

8. If "No. 9 PUNISHMENT - EXTRA WORK AND DRILL FOR A PERIOD NOT EXCEEDING FOURTEEN DAYS" was not dished out by the CO, which officer awarded the punishment? Was it Jimmy the One, each branch's Divisional Officer or the Officer of the Day?

If I remember rightly NO 9's in the 1950's/60's was stoppage of leave & grog was also thrown in for good measure.

Anyone remember what punishment was stoppage of pay?

9. I think stoppage of pay was 14s, also called Mults I believe.

10. I think Jimmy/Commander could dish out 14 days No 9s, depending on his rank - 2, 2 1/2 rings. No 9s was automatic stoppage of leave and grog. Once I sussed that out, I suddenly stopped being a silly boy......

11. Mulcts = to extract money from by fine or taxation.

Yeah! Tell me about it! Decided to go absent when I was 17, bloody stoppages lasted for about six weeks!!

2BM

12. Oh Dear....I bet you were a good 'Run Ashore' then, eh? :thumbdown:

13. sgtpepperband

According to the Naval Summary Discipline Rule 28, the CO can delegate powers of punishment to another officer to award extra work or drill for one day [No. 14] and admonition [No. 15], providing that:

- he is a LT or above
    - is the Officer of the Day
    - is the Officer of the Watch
    - is an officer in each department of the ship or naval establishment for offences connected with the duties of that department
    - is the Divisional Officer for offences connected with that division.

However - although the Summary Trial procedures for Trial by OOD/OOW remain with BR 11 (Manual of Naval Law) - in my time as a Regulator I have never convened a Summary Trial for any officer other than the CO XO or 1st LT.

In accordance with NSDR 43 and 44, the CO of a ship or establishment may award the following punishments summarily:

- Dismissal from Her Majesty’s Service [No. 2]
    - Detention for a period not exceeding three months [No. 3]
    - Disrating [No. 4] (RMs: reduction to the ranks or any less reduction in rank)
    - Fine [No. 4A]
    - Severe reprimand [No. 4B]
    - Reprimand [No. 4C]
    - Stoppages (recovery, by deductions, from an offender’s pay of a specific sum by way of compensation for any expense, personal injury, loss or damage occasioned by the offence) [No. 4D]
    - Reduction to the second class for conduct [No. 5]
    - Deprivation of Good Conduct Badges (Good Service Badges) and the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal [No. 7]
    - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding 14 days [No. 9]
    - Stoppages of leave for a period not exceeding 30 days [No. 10]
    - Forfeiture of pay for improper absence [No. 11]
    - Extra work or drill for not more than 2 hours a day for a period not exceeding 7 days [No. 14]
    - Admonition [No. 15]

In accordance with NSDR 22(a) the XO of a ship or establishment may award the following punishments summarily (if he a CDR):

- Fine not exceeding 10 days pay [No. 4A]
    - Stoppages not exceeding 10 days pay [No. 4D] (but not for personal injury)
    - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding 14 days [No. 9]
    - Stoppage of leave for a period not exceeding 24 days [No. 10]
    - Forfeiture of pay for improper absence not exceeding 2 days pay [No. 11]
    - Extra work or drill for a period not exceeding 7 days [No. 14]
    - Admonition [No. 15]

In accordance with NSDR 22(b) the XO of a ship or establishment may award the following punishments summarily (if he a LT CDR):

- Fine not exceeding 7 days pay [No. 4A]
    - Stoppages not exceeding 7 days pay [No. 4D] (but not for personal injury)
    - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding 7 days [No. 9]
    - Stoppage of leave for a period not exceeding 14 days [No. 10] (but not for CPOs or POs (or equivalent ranks))
    - Forfeiture of pay for improper absence not exceeding 1 days pay [No. 11]
    - Extra work or drill for a period not exceeding 7 days [No. 14]
    - Admonition [No. 15]

In accordance with NSDR 24, in ships where the XO is a CDR, the First Lieutenant or the First Lieutenant for the time being may, if he is of the rank of Lieutenant or above, be authorised to award the punishments in Regulation 22(b) above.

With reference to the withdrawal of alcohol for offenders, this no longer forms part of any naval punishment. However it may be removed (or other certain sanctions awarded) administratively by the Trying Officer or DO as part of the rehabilitative process, in particular if the offender was found guilty of a drink-related offence, or alcohol was an aggravating factor in the case.

14. Never went to the table once in 23 years but thats only due to the crime being undetected.

15. 17 years so far and not trooped once (touch wood!). That includes being caught 4 days abscence from place of work many years ago and just getting a monster b******ing for it.

16. sgtpepperband

It happens more often than people would like to believe; for every defaulter at the Table there is likely to be many more that do not go up (for a number of reasons). I would much rather give someone the benefit of the doubt IF they had made a genuine mistake, as it:

a. proves that we are all human and sh*t happens.
    b. means that the absentee will not think I am a barsteward!
    c. saves on paperwork...

:wink:

17. onSPB,

I agree entirely. More often than not, a good bollocking works better than 2 days 9's from the Jimmy and saves the likes of you and I from wasting our time with paperwork. I'm sure that we've all been on the receiving end of an up close and personal chat from various members of staff in our time.

18. I like to think my honesty saved me. The Macco ballsed up and didn't know where I was, everyone assumed I was working for someone else and I took advantage of it. The RPO asked me why I did and I told him the truth, didn't see the point in trying to lie my way out of it. Can't remember his name but he knew how to give a b******ing.

19. Had a few trips to the boss with some 'off caps' drill in place, which always ended in some No9's being dished out.

I can remember one funny incident on the Penelope circa 1983 when there were 7 of us up in front of the old man and ALL of were RO's. :)

Our SCO had to go and see the old man afterwards with a copy of the Yellow Pages tucked down his trousers and told to get 'his' troops in order.

20. No, not squeaky clean. Did my share of 9’s, 14’s, mulcts, etc. but did manage ‘case dismissed’ on two counts after been brought back by the patrol on consecutive days. How come ? Day one was a fair cop (just) and brought me back at about 1 a.m. Spend the day on board but next night got picked on again. This time I was shitty but not shitfaced. Asked to see the OOW When delivered onboard and then got me head down like a good lad. Said OOW was probably a bit gone himself. Anyway case 2 was dismissed on his evidence and case 1 dismissed on lack of evidence. My DO pleaded the patrol was “over-enthusiasticâ€. Jimmy the one pulled me over after and said, considering the old man had to report back on all patrol reportings, I was a lucky sod.

Next clean rap was for stealing a Landrover in Bahrain ! One of the pongos hot-wired it for a bunch of us but we got stopped at the gates. Everyone scattered and when rounded up we all swore it was a pongo driving, name unknown. Strangely enough two blokes of the same bunch made it to the airport and were pulled out of the cockpit of a Trident ! I’m pretty sure they got off as well.

“Punishment, two days pay and four days leave!â€
    “Ah, thanks. I’ll take the pay now but can I have the leave at the end of he month?â€