The Special Flying Award - Powered Flight

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chlolea, Aug 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi this is my first post on here but have been looking around on the site for a few weeks now.
    I have been accepted on the special flying award - powered flight with 727 nas, which starts on the 8th sept 08:
    i was just wondering if anyone has been on the sfa and has any advice, or if anyone is actually on the same course.

cheers

2. sorry - never heard of it

3. Thats ok i hadnt until recently, i think its to encourage people to join up as aircrew, which is what im thinking of doing!!!! Depending on the weather, its 10 hours worth of flying in a grob and visits to different NAS's and such!!!

4. I have done this course, it's brilliant. 2 weeks of flying, tours round Yeovilton and getting pissed up. I got about 12hrs in the end. You will cover the basics, plus some areos, formation and instrument flying. It will stand you in a good position for future recruitment, I am about to start IOT with the RAF as a pilot - happy days!

5. Oh thats brilliant!!! Thanks for that i am really looking forward to it. Good luck with IOT. Any reason why you picked RAF over FAA??

6. My first thought was, that won't take 10 hours; but then I read Grob.

7. what do u mean??

8. Well, it was satirical comment on RNAS Yeovilton and RNAS Culdrose being the only Stations we have left; and in relation to;

I then related that it wouldn't take long to visit by air, being separated by just 114 air miles; but in a Grob Vigilant, it just may (at 62 kt). You will, no doubt be doing the flying in a Tutor rocket ship, though, which somewhat spoils the good natured banter.

9. Apologises for ruining the banter!!! Now that it has been explained i feel rather foolish!!

10. No worries. By the time you get to my age, you'll be used to it!

11. I read about this thing, it's meant to be quite good.

Have fun :)

12. Either way, I drive faster than you'll be flying..

13. well at least i'll be flying....

14. chlolea . :thumright:

Your catching on fast.

Somewhere in the house, I have a sticker for the car back window with the caption; "My Other Car's an Aeroplane". Yet another well meant but unwanted present!

Thread reacquisition mode now selected.

15. i do like to think that i am a quick learner!! im going to let the side down now by asking what thread reacquisition mode is!!!!

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For the unitiated: special flying awards (aircrew acquaints) may be requested via your Area Careers Liaison Officer. They are not part of the selection process, they are classed as a familiarisation visit.

For the younger aspiring pilots, there are gliding acquaints, for the older guys, they let you play with a plane that has an engine.

17. chlolea. I was guilty of Thread Drift by prattling about car stickers. This can sometimes provoke responses that further deviate from the Thread and I was signifying that I was reacquiring the Thread datum.

As you started this Thread, it would be extremely bad form for me to hijack it with unrelated niff, naff and trivia.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Oh, I dunno, it beats the prospect of a currently serving fast jet pilot hijacking the thread illuminating us all with their "Cripes, Nothing on the clock but the makers' name.." guff. :thumright: