The Spanish Civil War

Who do you fight with?

• The Nationalists (Francoists)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Six_and_a_Half

Lantern Swinger
I fear that some may be tiring of these sort of threads now, but I couldn't really resist starting my own, and I decided to select this little-mentioned piece of twentieth century world history because I believe that this war really defined the international attitudes of the time to two different and radical political agendas. But what about those same attitudes now? All I ask you to do, is imagine yourself as a Spaniard in 1936, about to take up arms to fight. But who do you fight for?

This was a brutal war, in which both sides were as cruel and inhumane as the other.

Before you cast your vote, if you don't know much about the sides involved in the civil war, then I've provided a link to the wikipedia article. I'm hoping that this will spur an intense debate for both parties, as we discuss which really is the lesser of the two 'evils': Communism or Fascism?

Edited because I forgot to add the link!

exile1

Lantern Swinger
A complex conflict with many factions making the sum of both parts.
the Anarchists being one such Republican element that made a significant input to the misery that endured.
Antony Beevor's 'The Spanish Civil War' is IMO the best read on the subject.

The choice was simple fight for Hitler or Stalin.

The only choice was not to fight but then things were much more black and white and most people were poorly informed by the existing media of the time.

A curse on all isam's

Nutty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Home Office Minister visits London charity supporting Spanish and Portuguese speakers to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Incredibly rare maps of the defeat of the Spanish Armada at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spanish investment puts UK rail industry on the fast track MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Italian, German, Spanish and UK MAAs conduct Recognition MoD News 1
soleil Mail: "Navy's Gibraltar Stand-off With Spanish Patrol: Warship Challenges 3 Ships" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil GBC: "Spanish Survey Vessel Defies Navy To Spend Over Seven Hours In Gibraltar Waters Bases / Shore Est 32
WreckerL "Too heavy" Spanish boat Submariners 10
trelawney126 Spanish Kings in laws move to Gib Diamond Lil's 1
soleil Mail: "Tensions Growing Off Gibraltar After RN Confronts Spanish Warship" Bases / Shore Est 20
Topstop New Spanish Boats Submariners 3
Passed-over_Loggie Advice Please: Spanish Spirits (no, not spooks). The Gash Barge 4
soleil RN Sea King from RNAS Culdrose rescues Spanish Fisherman The Fleet Air Arm 7
NotmeChief Mr Bean replaces Spanish PM on EU presidency site The Quarterdeck 1
P Royal Navy Fires on Spanish Flag Current Affairs 20
soleil Gib: "Red Arrows’ Fitting Response to Spanish Incursions" Bases / Shore Est 6
Naval_Gazer Royal Navy orders Spanish ship out of Gibraltar Current Affairs 35
N Spanish Justice Current Affairs 48
N Visit to Cartegena Naval Base and Spanish MCMV Segura=Pics History 3
HarryBosch Help for Spanish Dave Social & Reunions 3
T Gene Hunt to go Spanish... Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS guidance updated as courts restart work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunity for housing and debt work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: revised expert witness guidance available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apply to the Attorney General’s Civil Panel Counsel - Regional A, B and C Panels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil Procedure Rules relating to Contempt of Court: webinar, 8 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunities for telephone legal advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to increase support to civil society and independent media in Belarus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Simon Case appointed as Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: expressions of interest invited for HPCDS work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: updates to electronic handbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: Disbursements billing revised MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: further changes to increase payments on account applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: New contract schedules available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to tender for HPCDS work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: CWA codes updated after telephone gateway’s removal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: LAA annual report and DLAC report 2019-20 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: extension of HPCDS contracts to 30 September 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: digital billing changes for revised immigration fees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: fee rules change for mental health remote hearings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alex Chisholm speech at Civil Service Live 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: increase to 'payments on account' applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: updated contract schedules from 1 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New video tech to increase remote hearings in civil and family courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Register for Civil Service Live Online now MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our civil servants have risen to the occasion of the pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: revised fees for immigration and asylum work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New solicitor member appointed to the Civil Procedure Rule Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior civil servant and former lecturer in medical statistics appointed to Joint Biosecurity Centre MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: speedier payments on way for court assessed bills MoD News 0