Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The shit never ends

stirling2

Banned
So many pubs going out of business and now this.............

-
09 October
Would you pop out for two-thirds of a pint?

And now something for the weekend....

New laws will mean that by the Spring you could be popping down to the pub for two-thirds of a pint. The new imperial measure - already popular in Australia where it is known as a 'schooner' - will be the first relaxation of pub measures since they were introduced in 1698.

As well as being cheaper to buy, it's also going to take drinkers longer to get a paunchy physique at around 158 calories, compared to around 240 calories for a full pint. But I'm not sure how popular the 'schooners' will be. Won't big drinkers just see them as a false economy? Or drink more of them, thus defeating the object?

Unfortunately for pubs, what is given with one hand is taken away with the other as rumours persist that the much-loved ...sorry, much-loathed Valuation Office Agency of council tax review fame, plans to hit family-friendly pubs with higher taxes next year. Landlords who have added beer gardens, children’s play areas or who organise local pool or darts tournaments for the neighbourhood will be stung in a rates revaluation already dubbed the “nice pub taxâ€. I'm not sure this makes sense when we hear that city pubs without these features are at the brunt of the 2-for-1 cheap booze problem. These changes come on top of above-inflation rises in beer duty imposed in the Budget, the squeeze from cut-price supermarket alcohol sales and the recession

fishhead

War Hero
The Aussies habit of drinking from smaller glasses(schooners) is nothing to do with restrained consumption but everything to do with drinking the beer while it is still cold.i.e. if you purchased a pint of lager by the time you reached the bottom third the ambient temperature would have made the liquid less refreshing in the Aussie heat.

Joe_Crow

War Hero
fishhead said:
The Aussies habit of drinking from smaller glasses(schooners) is nothing to do with restrained consumption but everything to do with drinking the beer while it is still cold.i.e. if you purchased a pint of lager by the time you reached the bottom third the ambient temperature would have made the liquid less refreshing in the Aussie heat.

They could try necking it more sharpish, pussies!

Topstop

War Hero
Joe_Crow said:
fishhead said:

They do! :drunken: :drunken: Made the mistake of trying to keep up with them at Dolphin in the 70`s mistake big mistake :pukeright:

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Topstop said:
Joe_Crow said:
fishhead said:

They do! :drunken: :drunken: Made the mistake of trying to keep up with them at Dolphin in the 70`s mistake big mistake :pukeright:

Aussi outrage when in1958 ordered two schooners of beer and left one on the counter to warm up a bit. The look on their faces! :lol:

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
A few years back at the Great British Beer Festival, the CAMRA lot seemed fit to introduce a third-of-a-pint glass.

Fantastic for beer tasting but shoddy if one required something more than just touching the sides.

My fear, then, is that such a glass exists, beer is already drunk from said glass, and it's only a matter of time before the worst happens.

malspal

Lantern Swinger
fishhead said:

If you ask a barman nicely you will find that pint glasses are available in most pubs :wink: The really good pubs will give you a bowl of water at precisely sixty degrees farenheight to stand it in :D

WhiteRose. Wetherspoon’s similarly use 1/3 pint glasses for their occasional beer fests. Having 3 different beers for the price of a pint is quite good, for that circumstance. Having to queue at the bar at more frequent intervals for a session in a “normal†pub, though, would be bloody annoying.

(granny) said:
Topstop said:
Joe_Crow said:
fishhead said:

Aussi outrage when in1958 ordered two schooners of beer and left one on the counter to warm up a bit. The look on their faces! :lol:

Hmmm I caused some muttering also asking why they served the beer in ladies glasses

The_Jimmy

War Hero
malspal said:
fishhead said:

If you ask a barman nicely you will find that pint glasses are available in most pubs :wink: The really good pubs will give you a bowl of water at precisely sixty degrees farenheight to stand it in :D

A nice cool refreshing beer on a hot day, in a pot (10oz), schooner, or pint goes down well....I drunk from a jug, got some funny looks too.

Love yer answer malspal....have a VB mate!

stirling2

Banned
At the A&M cafe in Manila me and a couple of oppos ordeed a jug of beer each and they gave us these minute glasses to drink out of, the look from the yanks using the place as we drank out of the jugs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chicogiz Chicojizz’s Very Own Bucket of Shit. The Gash Barge 95
Njs71 RFA Hopefuls. Idle chat and dull shit The Gash Barge 9
BillyNoMates Chinese fake shit Diamond Lil's 13
REDMIST Shit the f*cking bed...............? Current Affairs 35
REDMIST I shit the bed tonight.... The Corps 0
wet_blobby Crabs.....Making shit up since April's fool day 1918 Diamond Lil's 53
Stirling Left a bit....right a bit....shit! Diamond Lil's 2
G Wimbledon. It's shit..... Hot. Diamond Lil's 24
stan_the_man The day I shit myself part 2 Diamond Lil's 1
stan_the_man The day I really did shit myself Diamond Lil's 11
NotmeChief Why Britain is in the shit. The Quarterdeck 3
Chicogiz Wit the nutty shit! The Gash Barge 73
higthepig To-nights Shit Kicker Diamond Lil's 0
J 1960 Where the UK went to rat shit Diamond Lil's 94
andym Random funny shit. Diamond Lil's 0
sgtpepperband Scary Shit! Current Affairs 12
NotmeChief Scared the shit out of me The Quarterdeck 2
N When deep in the shit Diamond Lil's 10
NotmeChief Shit - I forgot. Diamond Lil's 0
NotmeChief Want to be treated like shit? - Be a servicemans wife. Current Affairs 22
NotmeChief What's with this froggy kissing shit Diamond Lil's 8
N The more jacked i get the more shit i gotta handle Diamond Lil's 110
B shit on a raft Submariners 27
fishmiester Who is Jack Shit?? Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Yemen has “never looked more likely to slide into famine”, Foreign Secretary warns MoD News 0
soleil Shephard Media: Naval review 2019: The never-ending Year of the (Royal) Navy The Fleet 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp ...I have never seen anything like it in my career.” Diamond Lil's 2
Walter_white PRNC soon never been to the gym. Joining the Royal Navy 37
A Well I Never The Quarterdeck 3
BillyNoMates 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back. Diamond Lil's 4
SONAR-BENDER Oh dear, how, sad, never mind (v2) Diamond Lil's 1
SONAR-BENDER Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Diamond Lil's 3
matt93 Aet never been to sea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
SONAR-BENDER Better late than never Diamond Lil's 3
stan_the_man Mistakes your'e glad you never made - women wise Diamond Lil's 3
stan_the_man Never thought I would post something like this Diamond Lil's 74
Blackrat Well I Never... Diamond Lil's 15
sgtpepperband 28 Things That People With Big Boobs Can Simply Never Do Diamond Lil's 21
scouse Carrier that never was 1962 Queen Elizabeth Class The Fleet Air Arm 5
SONAR-BENDER She's only 29, but is never having sex again. Diamond Lil's 47
WreckerL Things never change The Quarterdeck 1
SONAR-BENDER No, no, no it could never happen. Could it? Diamond Lil's 4
MG Maniac Oh Dear! How Sad! .... Never Mind! Diamond Lil's 23
S Better Late Than Never Current Affairs 0
trelawney126 Will they Never Learn (Finks Special) Diamond Lil's 0
G Never say no to Panda. The Internet - Best and Worst 0
witsend ChrisSimms joins up on the 12th of June (Incase you never knew) Diamond Lil's 20
sgtpepperband "The War That Never Was" by Duff Hart-Davis The Book Club 0
R094V1-George A woman would never know Miscellaneous 1
Shakey Elephants never forget. Miscellaneous 0