Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Royal Navy Officer Application Process

JoshF182

Hi all,
I thought that I would post this for anyone applying/thinking about applying to be a Royal Navy Officer.
The first stage is likely a visit to the Royal Navy website - http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/
Obviously this has a great deal of information regarding career choice. This website, particularly Ninja_Stoker and many of the other posters and mods will more than likely have the answer to your questions.
A trip to your AFCO - Armed Forces Career Office is the next stage.
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/careers-advisers/ shows you the locations of them all. Your career advisor will give you plenty of information and literature regarding any career path in the RN. Don't be afraid to ask anything that is on your mind. Best to dress in shirt and tie, doesn't hurt to make a good impression.
You will probably have a presentation on what being an Officer in the RN entails. Again, shirt and tie should be worn. It isn’t a particularly long presentation but presents a good opportunity for any more questions or queries to be sorted.
After this comes the Recruit Tests, also known as the Psychometric Tests. Go smart. These really are nothing to be worried about. Work quickly and accurately, and be aware of your timing. The tests consist of mechanical comprehension, verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning and maths. They aren’t much harder than an 11+ test.
Once these are done you will have several things to do. A 2.4KM timed run at a local gym/fitness centre, under around 11 minutes is fine, although this does vary by age. A medical – urine test, eye test, hearing test, stretches and so on.
The sift interview – wear a suit. Go prepared – know where the Navy are, what they do, a basic knowledge of the different ship and helicopters/fast jet types. The Navy News, the Navy website and Rum Ration are all good sources for this. Be yourself, don’t lie about anything. Be prepared for the ‘kill’ question – how you feel about it and so on. Try and relax as much as you can – easier said than done I know but it does help. Ask on here if you have anymore questions.
Here’s where it will differ – I am applying for Aircew Officer so have just been for my Flight Aptitude Tests at RAF Cranwell. Wear a suit throughout. My advice for these would be, if you can, buy a Nintendo DS and More Brain Training. Do it properly, every day. http://www.speeddistancetime.info/ is a great website for practising speed distance time questions – plenty of these come up. Practise simple maths, but do it as fast as you can. There are lots of tests, feel free to PM me for any more information.
The next step is AIB – Admiralty Interview Board. I haven’t got to this stage yet but there is plenty of information availible here on this site.
If you want any more information then please feel free to post/PM. There are plenty of threads on this site going into more detail regarding this process, but as aforementioned, do feel free to ask.
Josh.

Whilst all of the above is true, and hopefully will stop inane questions being asked, I do wonder quite how generations of young men (and women) ever passed the AIB before RR and/or the interweb. Frankly, if you find the AIB hard work, then BRNC is going to be a shocker, and your first job will blow your socks off.

My only advice is a quote from Slim:

'Leadership is just plain you.'

Don't sweat the small stuff: if you're good enough we'll have you; if you're not, then no internet mugging up will help. The entire process should be enjoyable, and it isn't actually that hard - the staff won't trip you up, and your ACLO is there to help.

Anyway, I'm sounding distinctly like an old fart, so I'll leave you to it!

officer_inland

Lantern Swinger
Will just point out for others that the order that things are done in may vary as well. I had my medical after my sift interview. Also, I think the PJFT is currently being added into the process. Nice thread though :)

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
I'm ask for this to be made a sticky otherwise it'll get buried amongst the dross that get poasted here in Newbies.

You there Ninja?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C If possible, I would like to get in touch with anyone who served as a Royal Navy Officer prior to 1993 please. The Quarterdeck 27
soleil Dorset Echo: "Lt Lauren Webber From Chickerell Now Commanding Officer Of Royal Navy Vessel HMS Puncher" The Fleet 24
Keithdwat579 Black Royal Navy Officer Cap Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
soleil British Airways - "Royal Navy Officer Pulls Off The Ultimate Proposal" The Fleet Air Arm 4
baldie Royal Navy Reserves whilst applying to be Officer? Joining the Royal Navy 6
V royal navy hydrographic meteorological and oceanographic officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Bill6001 Army Reservist transfer to Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M 15 years old and wishing to join the Royal Navy as an officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Blake29 Royal Navy application : Aircrew Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
S Royal Navy officer advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil Life In The Royal Navy As An Officer - Video The Fleet 9
W Royal Navy Officer Ranks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Herald: "Plymouth-based Royal Navy Officer Joins Nigerian Institute" The Fleet 2
soleil Daily Mail: "Heroic Royal Navy Officer Rushed To Tackle Crazed Gunnman" Current Affairs 1
S The "How to pass the Royal Navy Officer AIB" book Richard MnMunn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
andyrik Royal Navy Officer Commission? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 78
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Navy Officer From Penzance In Female First For Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Officer Guilty Of Misusing His Government Credit Card" Current Affairs 66
soleil Sleaford Target: "Royal Navy Officer Relives Dramatic Battle During Libyan Conflict" The Fleet Air Arm 0
B Requirements for Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
K Royal Navy submarine officer Submariners 10
Y Royal Navy to Royal Marine Officer??? The Corps 16
T Entry requirements for Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
soleil Royal Navy welcomes its first Fijian Officer The Fleet 16
AledJ Officer jobs in the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 75
slim Entry selection into the Royal Navy as an Officer. Diamond Lil's 85
M Royal Navy officer The Quarterdeck 53
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1