The Royal Navy Forum

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by ryan.rackley, Jun 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As it calls itself the Royal Navy Forum and uses Pussers Logo is it unofficial, semi un-official or official.

Still we see how it goes along side RR and ROMFT. I suppose I could join and point them towards the alternatives.

Nutty

2. I have said hello on your behalf.

Nutty

3. Pusser will be pissed at you nicking their logo… It's copyright.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Copyright issues aside, the official RN website is long overdue a forum for potential recruits - Fed-up suggesting it! It's clearly not appreciated that this medium is how young people communicate (not to mention the more savvy, not so young individuals.) Currently most come on here, ask the question & get slated for doing so. When all's said & done it's fully appreciated RumRation isn't a recruiting site, but it's the biggest & best so it's always going to be a compromise.

Having helped establish a forum for potential RM candidates it takes time to climb up the Google ratings. "Ours" seems to have worked fairly well to the extent (membership is over 1,000 with over 600 active members) that the Royal Marines are looking to link it into the official site. Whether that happens remains to be seen but the Royals tend to be pretty swift on the uptake for marketing and recruiting ideas and often leave the mob behind. The official RM website has more hits than the RN website at the moment, so we're told.

Best of luck with it.

5. I'm entered my greetings to the site. I see you haven't added a History section yet where the old n bold & civvy barstewards can rattle away about the past. :biggrin:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just noticed the post about making donations to the site and have to say the jury is out on this one for me.

Some forums, such as this generate income from advertising & donations, but the actual day to day running costs of a forum are negligible as most people help moderate & administrate for free, so it would be rather annoying if people profitted from other people's efforts. The only costs are for the server hardware to run the site & the site registration fees. Most people have free space on their business servers to run a forum for little or no cost.

Certainly the prmc site has avoided any advertising or any donations to keep it running, so for a site in it's infancy to be suggesting donations maybe a little premature unless it was established as a revenue generator from those least able to afford it. That's why I'm not a great fan of the "How2Be" people who generate income from those seeking employment, by replicating the content from freely available publications & charging for it. Anyway, doubtless others would disagree...

7. Well lets hope it gets some moderators who know what they are talking about.

(Not suggesting the MODS on here dont, BTW)

Any volunteers?

(Edited to remove outrage and mongtype)

8. I nominate you sir! You always seem to know what you're talking about, unlike some of us! :oops: :biggrin:

9. You dont need Mods on a site!!!!

10. Unless its full of racist bastards and people who cannot control their dogs. OK one racist bastard and one family that cannot keep their dog under control.

Nutty

11. Nutty: Don't you mean one racist dog who can't keep the bastard family under control?? :laughing9: (Heard about you out there you know!!) :pirat:

12. Has the site gone down? i can't access it now

13. Nice one Nutty, wouldn`t be out of context would it?

14. But the postings made by that member would not have been deleted by a Mod. :thumright:

15. You can fool some of the people, all of the time, and all of the people some of the time.......

Any way, no-one has ever accused me of being moderate. Pompous, arrogant, even grandiose, but never moderate.

I accept.

Reluctantly. ^~

16. My dear Sir, Pussers are never pissed! only moderately inebriated.

They are regularly pissed off, though.

17. In no way do i want the RNF to run in competition with RumratioN, the RNF is aimed towards careers in the the Royal Navy. And it would be excellent if anyone with experience in any of the armed forces would sign up and give us a hand with people interested in the navy.

Also, thanks for the idea for the 'Stories Of Experience' forum. Hopefully we shall get some nice stories in there over time.

FAO RumratioN Admin: Could we swap some advertising, to display on each of the sites.

Thank You,

18. Seen as nobody seemed to answer me the first time I will ask again, have I been banned already or has the site go down as I can't seem to access it?

Thanks