The royal Navy and women

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by bryan, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know the royal navy allow women, just not on the frontline.
    But im hoping to join as an AET, How accepting is that for a women?
    Im 18, Currently studying 2nd year level 2 electrical installations and level 3 multiskilled engineering at college, and being a gal in a typically 'mans' trade, its been pretty negative, I love the work, but a few things about the people and attitudes towards women in the trade does put me off a little. Any help???

2. Are you in Bristol?

3. No im not in bristol, why??

4. bjb

Advice is Go for It! Don't even think twice about it.

5. Thankyou :)

6. I bummed someone with your name in Bristol once. She was lovely.

7. gee thanks, but that wasnt me sorry!

8. I guessed that; she wouldn't have passed the medical after what I did to her.

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

More like what you gave her/him, you dirty trench dwelling slug. :wink:

10. Had loads of SPL** A***S in the FAA many moons ago Pinkies and Grubbers in old money. AET today. good eggs, and nice to work with. The ones that were pleasing to the eye :lol: :lol:
    ~

11. Remember Big Sonia the AE wren scouse, not a looker but she carried many a pissed matelot back from the Coulard.
    I worked with a Wren REM named Amy, she was Divs.

12. I can't even pretend to be outraged at your alarmingly accurate character assassinaton!

13. Remember Dai Woods who worked in the Tower Essence :wink: The Red Headed LREM air wren tried to get a grip of me in the Coulard :oops: :oops: :oops: but i wasnt pissed by then so i part two ed it :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Mmmmm,,, Roast lamb Sandwich! Yumm!

15. Ditto what Soleil said. I joined in September and neither myself or any of the girls I have joined with have experienced any negativity. You're always going to get people who are twats but that can happen in civvie st too. As long as you bring your sense of humour you will love it.

Good luck,

KF

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mod Mode ON:

JJ/Wits - although not 'my' forum I felt the need to comment; can I please remind you that this is the FAA forum and not Lil's? Therefore please tone down the manner of your inappropriate posts to a new member, who has a very valid question to ask, and has every right to have reservations about joining up - especially after reading inappropriate comments such as yours, which go no way towards making the Service an attractive career choice for a young woman.

:roll:

Mod Mode OFF:

Having joined up before females went to sea and having subsequently served on several units with females in a variety of roles, I fail to understand why the issue of someone's sexuality is relevant any longer. Like many occupations, you will come across many idiots (male and female) but you will have to accept that, and learn to rise above it. If you can earn respect by means of your positive attitude towards your work and your colleagues, chances are they will no longer see you as "a girl" but just another member of the team.

Good luck, and I wish you all the success in joining up, if you choose to.

:thumbleft:

17. witsend

A round of pims for my FAA friends. :roll:

18. Shouldn't cost YOU much then :evil:

19. witsend

I find if your buying, you have lots of friends. You should try it sometime. :wink:

20. Sadly SSP S/M is not included in my pension - most of that has just been blown on loo rolls.

Anway, back on topic or Sgt Peppa will be along, where were we?

Ah the females...........some of the finest men I ever served with :wink: