The Royal Naval school of dancing.

higthepig said:
The one upstairs above Burtons, was it not called the Park Ballroom? Rings a bell from the 50`s.

Might have been in the 50s but in the 80s it was Woods/Monroes. I have phots.

Ritzys was the one in Cornwall Street down from what is now Sainsburys. I know because I worked there and used to wear a little skimmy purple lurex dress with a silver belt!

slim

War Hero
rosinacarley said:
higthepig said:
The one upstairs above Burtons, was it not called the Park Ballroom? Rings a bell from the 50`s.

Ritzys was the one in Cornwall Street down from what is now Sainsburys. I know because I worked there and used to wear a little skimmy purple lurex dress with a silver belt!

Photo's then Rosie :p

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The one above what is now Burtons was most definately Rooftops during the early70s. Many happy hours of Plymouth Maid trapping! In Pompey it was Joanna's (aka Jo Spanners) - remember the very sticky carpet and the tree inside?!? In Faslavatory there was no real equivalent, but the Imps is the closest!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Perhaps I should have said 'what was Burton's'! Obviously, I have not been to the Rooftops or any of the other fine establishments mentioned for many, many moons! Thankfully!

Scrumpy

Lantern Swinger
I remember going to the birdcage and my oppo said something to one of the bouncers and the next thing I remembered was picking myself up at the bottom of the stairs :cry:

I had a similar experience at Beasties, but it wasn't the bouncer that sent me down the stairs, it was combination of too much ale and a very sticky carpet :roll:

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
rosinacarley said:
higthepig said:

The one above 'Burtons' the tailors in Old Town Street was the 'Park Ballroom'. I trapped there in 1956. Been married to her for 52 years now. I wonder, who trapped who??

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
2badge_mango said:
I've always understood that the "Royal Naval School of Dancing" title was bestowed on the "Harbour Lights" in Torpoint. Rick Jolly refers to it's title in his original "Jackspeak" (1989).

It was certainly there and known as such in the 80s, and I had the book 'Jackspeak' too (now sadly lost).

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
rosinacarley said:
Ritzys was the one in Cornwall Street down from what is now Sainsburys.

That'll be on Mayflower street then! :wink: Next to Mayflower Street car park and more recently known as Zanzibar. Not sure if it's still open now.

Yes Mayflower Street! Sorry, been away from Plymouth for 11 years now and really struggle with the names of stuff, mind you that might just be old age!

SONAR-BENDER said:
The one above what is now Burtons was most definately Rooftops during the early70s. Many happy hours of Plymouth Maid trapping! In Pompey it was Joanna's (aka Jo Spanners) - remember the very sticky carpet and the tree inside?!? In Faslavatory there was no real equivalent, but the Imps is the closest!

I always thought the Mecca was Pompeys contribution to the RN's distinguished list of dancing academies..especially on grab a granny night on a Wednesday! Although I must admit Jo Spanners had a better decor..at least it had a tree....!!