The Royal Naval school of dancing.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by w.anchor, Jan 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any of you lads or Lassies remember the Royal Naval school of dancing Plymouth.If so what was it's correct name all I can remember is the coach seat around the outside of the dance floor.And a few of the lads being taught the foxtrot oscar down the stairs and into the welcoming arms of the Naval Patrol. 8O

2. Above "Burtons" wasn't it?

3. The Paramount?

4. I remember that it was up a flight of stairs and some real rough looking things when you got up there. Would you say it was not exactly one of the more upmarket joints in Plymouth?. :wink:

5. Definitely the Paramount, up the steep stairs was difficult but being thrown down them was worse. Not far from the Two Trees , The Magic Stick and not forgetting the Antellopee

6. The only one that I remember would have been " Boobs" :lol:

7. If I remember correctly the one above Burtons was the Rooftop Garden

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mod Edit:

Moved to Lil's, in anticipation of some of the replies...
    :lol:

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The only one I know of up a flight of stairs, would be the 2's up (a little before my time anyway), almost nextdoor to the Clipper and opposite Boobs. It was apparently closed down when the bouncers killed a lad by chucking down the stairs and giving him a kicking? The door is still there I believe, next to the Chogey take away.

10. quite correct but, must object about the kicking. See I was there many moons ago of duty pongo ejected by two royals via the stairs. Went home and choked on his vomit. If i remember well.

11. tiddlyoggy

Apologise for my inaccuracies, but note the use of the words "apparently", "before my time" and the question mark. :wink:

12. lol never let the truth get in the way of a dit lol

13. That was Woods and then Munroes, before it moved to the big cinema next to the twigs.

14. tiddlyoggy

Something like that! :lol: Incidentally, when did it happen? It's a dit I've heard often enough and heard lads talk about the place, but never with any sort of timescales applied. Edit to add: Just remembered that I also heard that this was the reason why servicemen were stopped from working doors, if so, this is in my time and the place would have been open when I've been down the strip, I don't ever recall going there though.

15. The R.N. School of Dance (RN SOD) was sited at the North end of South
    Yard, above the Ropery in HM Naval Base, Devonport. It closed its doors
    in 1994, when the Chief Dance Instructor, Len Goodman retired and
    SLOPS stopped issuing Tights (Mens Jigging-for the use of) NSN D099-242-6969.
    They became obsolete (NAAB), even with out of hours coverage.
    Here is a rare photo of the Staff from the Wyvern Centre performing the
    official "Last RN SOD Bop".
    A sad day indeed......

[​IMG]

16. Enough to make your bleeding gums ache. :(
    I can remember the Argyle and Southern Highlanders Being based in Guzz in about 1968ish ,they got themselves in some real shit at the Royal Naval School of dancing.

17. I've always understood that the "Royal Naval School of Dancing" title was bestowed on the "Harbour Lights" in Torpoint. It was first opened by John Morrison, the then landlord of the "Standard", early '70s, can't be too sure exactly when, I left Raleigh in '71 and can't remember it being open then, but I can recall John talking about "opening something up for the youngsters". It was certainly a going concern in '75 when we moved from Torpoint.
    Rick Jolly refers to it's title in his original "Jackspeak" (1989).
    Subsequent generations may have passed the name on to other establishments, but I would be interested to know if this was the original!

2BM

18. That was Clones (once!) I know this because I saw OMD there before they became famous!

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Wasn't the keyboard player in OMD an ex-LWEM(R) or summint? :?

20. I know the title moved on to Jesters when I was in. Boobs wasn't about when I was in. Jo's was for Pompey as was Emma's in Gosport. With Lady Street/Trelawney's/Big T's in Helston.