The Royal Naval school of dancing.

#1
Do any of you lads or Lassies remember the Royal Naval school of dancing Plymouth.If so what was it's correct name all I can remember is the coach seat around the outside of the dance floor.And a few of the lads being taught the foxtrot oscar down the stairs and into the welcoming arms of the Naval Patrol. 8O
 
#4
Richie said:
Above "Burtons" wasn't it?
I remember that it was up a flight of stairs and some real rough looking things when you got up there. Would you say it was not exactly one of the more upmarket joints in Plymouth?. :wink:
 

Bluetot

Lantern Swinger
#5
Definitely the Paramount, up the steep stairs was difficult but being thrown down them was worse. Not far from the Two Trees , The Magic Stick and not forgetting the Antellopee
 

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#9
The only one I know of up a flight of stairs, would be the 2's up (a little before my time anyway), almost nextdoor to the Clipper and opposite Boobs. It was apparently closed down when the bouncers killed a lad by chucking down the stairs and giving him a kicking? The door is still there I believe, next to the Chogey take away.
 
#10
tiddlyoggy said:
The only one I know of up a flight of stairs, would be the 2's up (a little before my time anyway), almost nextdoor to the Clipper and opposite Boobs. It was apparently closed down when the bouncers killed a lad by chucking down the stairs and giving him a kicking? The door is still there I believe, next to the Chogey take away.
quite correct but, must object about the kicking. See I was there many moons ago of duty pongo ejected by two royals via the stairs. Went home and choked on his vomit. If i remember well.
 

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#11
RN_Commando said:
tiddlyoggy said:
The only one I know of up a flight of stairs, would be the 2's up (a little before my time anyway), almost nextdoor to the Clipper and opposite Boobs. It was apparently closed down when the bouncers killed a lad by chucking down the stairs and giving him a kicking? The door is still there I believe, next to the Chogey take away.
quite correct but, must object about the kicking. See I was there many moons ago of duty pongo ejected by two royals via the stairs. Went home and choked on his vomit. If i remember well.
Apologise for my inaccuracies, but note the use of the words "apparently", "before my time" and the question mark. :wink:
 

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#14
RN_Commando said:
lol never let the truth get in the way of a dit lol
Something like that! :lol: Incidentally, when did it happen? It's a dit I've heard often enough and heard lads talk about the place, but never with any sort of timescales applied. Edit to add: Just remembered that I also heard that this was the reason why servicemen were stopped from working doors, if so, this is in my time and the place would have been open when I've been down the strip, I don't ever recall going there though.
 
#15
sgtpepperband said:
Mod Edit:

Moved to Lil's, in anticipation of some of the replies...
:lol:
The R.N. School of Dance (RN SOD) was sited at the North end of South
Yard, above the Ropery in HM Naval Base, Devonport. It closed its doors
in 1994, when the Chief Dance Instructor, Len Goodman retired and
SLOPS stopped issuing Tights (Mens Jigging-for the use of) NSN D099-242-6969.
They became obsolete (NAAB), even with out of hours coverage.
Here is a rare photo of the Staff from the Wyvern Centre performing the
official "Last RN SOD Bop".
A sad day indeed......

 
#16
BillyNoMates said:
sgtpepperband said:
Mod Edit:

Moved to Lil's, in anticipation of some of the replies...
:lol:
The R.N. School of Dance (RN SOD) was sited at the North end of South
Yard, above the Ropery in HM Naval Base, Devonport. It closed its doors
in 1994, when the Chief Dance Instructor, Len Goodman retired and
SLOPS stopped issuing Tights (Mens Jigging-for the use of) NSN D099-242-6969.
They became obsolete (NAAB), even with out of hours coverage.
Here is a rare photo of the Staff from the Wyvern Centre performing the
official "Last RN SOD Bop".
A sad day indeed......



Enough to make your bleeding gums ache. :(
I can remember the Argyle and Southern Highlanders Being based in Guzz in about 1968ish ,they got themselves in some real shit at the Royal Naval School of dancing.
 
#17
I've always understood that the "Royal Naval School of Dancing" title was bestowed on the "Harbour Lights" in Torpoint. It was first opened by John Morrison, the then landlord of the "Standard", early '70s, can't be too sure exactly when, I left Raleigh in '71 and can't remember it being open then, but I can recall John talking about "opening something up for the youngsters". It was certainly a going concern in '75 when we moved from Torpoint.
Rick Jolly refers to it's title in his original "Jackspeak" (1989).
Subsequent generations may have passed the name on to other establishments, but I would be interested to know if this was the original!

2BM
 
#18
tiddlyoggy said:
The only one I know of up a flight of stairs, would be the 2's up (a little before my time anyway), almost nextdoor to the Clipper and opposite Boobs. It was apparently closed down when the bouncers killed a lad by chucking down the stairs and giving him a kicking? The door is still there I believe, next to the Chogey take away.
That was Clones (once!) I know this because I saw OMD there before they became famous!
 
#20
I know the title moved on to Jesters when I was in. Boobs wasn't about when I was in. Jo's was for Pompey as was Emma's in Gosport. With Lady Street/Trelawney's/Big T's in Helston.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top