The RN delicacy known as 'Train Smash'

What is Train Smash?

• A vile concoction made of anything you can lay your hands on.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Proper scran...the recipe is jealously guarded,shove off pongo.

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
The other lot (over there in the drab olive) have a thread called ' Tonight I cooked' - which is TBH balls-achingly dull.

I mentioned 'Train Smash' as cooked by RS Charlie Haig from HMS Drake c. 1983 - with a liberal helping of sherry.

My vague recollection is that it is/was a fighting mixture of anything that came out of the 24 hour ration pack, poured into a Dixie and bubbled for as long as it took.

I think the Olive-Drab equivalent is called 'Range Stew'

Now this may sound a bit daft - but if anyone has an authentic RN recipe for 'Train Smash' (?) I'd be grateful if you would post.

Ta

Goats
( Late Wavy Navy 1982-1991 )

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Percy's 'Range Stew' is our 'Pot Mess' as far as I know. Train smash was/is Commanchie's Bollocks, snorkers, bacon etc, all mixed up so it looked like, well............ a very bad accident.

There WILL be variations on this basic theme!

The web seems to think its a Saffer thing....balls

I doubt here's anyone left here who served with Charlie Haig - a first class nutjob :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Percy's 'Range Stew' is our 'Pot Mess' as far as I know. Train smash was/is Commanchie's Bollocks, snorkers, bacon etc, all mixed up so it looked like, well............ a very bad accident.

There WILL be variations on this basic theme!
That's the Train Smash I remember.

fishhead

War Hero
I'm with @WreckerL and @SONAR-BENDER . For me Train Smash was always a breakfast concoction. According to the late Rick Jolley's tome called Jack Speak " Train Smash is Car Smash with Sausages. Car smash is defined as "Tomato Sauce and/or tinned tomatoes when bacon is incorporated.

I'm with @WreckerL and @SONAR-BENDER . For me Train Smash was always a breakfast concoction. According to the late Rick Jolley's tome called Jack Speak " Train Smash is Car Smash with Sausages. Car smash is defined as "Tomato Sauce and/or tinned tomatoes when bacon is incorporated.
Correctomundo ....tinned tomato and bits of bacon.incorporated big time....as for pot mess, anything goes.....:)

Sumo

War Hero
Don't know train crash? Our chef used to put out an odd but tasty thingy? Chunks of corned dog, sausage, bacon, beans, tinned toms, like a brecky pot mess, is that wot you speak of?:confused:

Sumo

War Hero
I thought everyone had covered it quite well and didn't really need my help. :)
You should save summoning me for the big things! :eek:
you been peaking in the shower again? shame on you.
Wot the diff between cheese on toast and Welsh rare bit?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
you been peaking in the shower again? shame on you.
Wot the diff between cheese on toast and Welsh rare bit?
Cheese on toast is....Cheese grilled on a piece of toast. Welsh rarebit is a savoury mixture of cheese eggs and mustard grilled on a piece of toast.
We're getting close to the Holy Grail here!

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Try this from Amazon - I have one - there are a couple of recipes I've never heard of but..........................

1541064626900.png

Sumo

War Hero
I love Mrs S pot mess, but she insists its a stew, with defined ingredients, what she don't know wont hurt her:D

Ballistic

War Hero
I thought everyone had covered it quite well and didn't really need my help. :)
You should save summoning me for the big things! :eek:
I've got visions of drawing a red chalk pentangle on the deck with a candle made from human fat at each corner wile chanting Black Sabbath lyrics backwards :D

Latest Threads