The RN delicacy known as 'Train Smash'

What is Train Smash?

• A vile concoction made of anything you can lay your hands on.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Proper scran...the recipe is jealously guarded,shove off pongo.

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
The other lot (over there in the drab olive) have a thread called ' Tonight I cooked' - which is TBH balls-achingly dull.

I mentioned 'Train Smash' as cooked by RS Charlie Haig from HMS Drake c. 1983 - with a liberal helping of sherry.

My vague recollection is that it is/was a fighting mixture of anything that came out of the 24 hour ration pack, poured into a Dixie and bubbled for as long as it took.

I think the Olive-Drab equivalent is called 'Range Stew'

Now this may sound a bit daft - but if anyone has an authentic RN recipe for 'Train Smash' (?) I'd be grateful if you would post.

Ta

Goats
( Late Wavy Navy 1982-1991 )

Percy's 'Range Stew' is our 'Pot Mess' as far as I know. Train smash was/is Commanchie's Bollocks, snorkers, bacon etc, all mixed up so it looked like, well............ a very bad accident.

There WILL be variations on this basic theme!

I'm with @WreckerL and @SONAR-BENDER . For me Train Smash was always a breakfast concoction. According to the late Rick Jolley's tome called Jack Speak " Train Smash is Car Smash with Sausages. Car smash is defined as "Tomato Sauce and/or tinned tomatoes when bacon is incorporated.

I'm with @WreckerL and @SONAR-BENDER . For me Train Smash was always a breakfast concoction. According to the late Rick Jolley's tome called Jack Speak " Train Smash is Car Smash with Sausages. Car smash is defined as "Tomato Sauce and/or tinned tomatoes when bacon is incorporated.
Correctomundo ....tinned tomato and bits of bacon.incorporated big time....as for pot mess, anything goes.....:)

Sumo

War Hero
Don't know train crash? Our chef used to put out an odd but tasty thingy? Chunks of corned dog, sausage, bacon, beans, tinned toms, like a brecky pot mess, is that wot you speak of?:confused:

you been peaking in the shower again? shame on you.
Wot the diff between cheese on toast and Welsh rare bit?
Cheese on toast is....Cheese grilled on a piece of toast. Welsh rarebit is a savoury mixture of cheese eggs and mustard grilled on a piece of toast.
We're getting close to the Holy Grail here!

I thought everyone had covered it quite well and didn't really need my help. :)
You should save summoning me for the big things! :eek:
I've got visions of drawing a red chalk pentangle on the deck with a candle made from human fat at each corner wile chanting Black Sabbath lyrics backwards :D