The RN delicacy known as 'Train Smash'

What is Train Smash?

• A vile concoction made of anything you can lay your hands on.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Proper scran...the recipe is jealously guarded,shove off pongo.

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
The other lot (over there in the drab olive) have a thread called ' Tonight I cooked' - which is TBH balls-achingly dull.

I mentioned 'Train Smash' as cooked by RS Charlie Haig from HMS Drake c. 1983 - with a liberal helping of sherry.

My vague recollection is that it is/was a fighting mixture of anything that came out of the 24 hour ration pack, poured into a Dixie and bubbled for as long as it took.

I think the Olive-Drab equivalent is called 'Range Stew'

Now this may sound a bit daft - but if anyone has an authentic RN recipe for 'Train Smash' (?) I'd be grateful if you would post.

Ta

Goats
( Late Wavy Navy 1982-1991 )

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Percy's 'Range Stew' is our 'Pot Mess' as far as I know. Train smash was/is Commanchie's Bollocks, snorkers, bacon etc, all mixed up so it looked like, well............ a very bad accident.

There WILL be variations on this basic theme!

The web seems to think its a Saffer thing....balls

I doubt here's anyone left here who served with Charlie Haig - a first class nutjob :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Percy's 'Range Stew' is our 'Pot Mess' as far as I know. Train smash was/is Commanchie's Bollocks, snorkers, bacon etc, all mixed up so it looked like, well............ a very bad accident.

There WILL be variations on this basic theme!
That's the Train Smash I remember.

fishhead

War Hero
I'm with @WreckerL and @SONAR-BENDER . For me Train Smash was always a breakfast concoction. According to the late Rick Jolley's tome called Jack Speak " Train Smash is Car Smash with Sausages. Car smash is defined as "Tomato Sauce and/or tinned tomatoes when bacon is incorporated.

I'm with @WreckerL and @SONAR-BENDER . For me Train Smash was always a breakfast concoction. According to the late Rick Jolley's tome called Jack Speak " Train Smash is Car Smash with Sausages. Car smash is defined as "Tomato Sauce and/or tinned tomatoes when bacon is incorporated.
Correctomundo ....tinned tomato and bits of bacon.incorporated big time....as for pot mess, anything goes.....:)

Sumo

War Hero
Don't know train crash? Our chef used to put out an odd but tasty thingy? Chunks of corned dog, sausage, bacon, beans, tinned toms, like a brecky pot mess, is that wot you speak of?:confused:

Sumo

War Hero
I thought everyone had covered it quite well and didn't really need my help. :)
You should save summoning me for the big things! :eek:
you been peaking in the shower again? shame on you.
Wot the diff between cheese on toast and Welsh rare bit?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
you been peaking in the shower again? shame on you.
Wot the diff between cheese on toast and Welsh rare bit?
Cheese on toast is....Cheese grilled on a piece of toast. Welsh rarebit is a savoury mixture of cheese eggs and mustard grilled on a piece of toast.
We're getting close to the Holy Grail here!

Dusty70

War Hero
Try this from Amazon - I have one - there are a couple of recipes I've never heard of but..........................

1541064626900.png

Sumo

War Hero
I love Mrs S pot mess, but she insists its a stew, with defined ingredients, what she don't know wont hurt her:D

Ballistic

War Hero
I thought everyone had covered it quite well and didn't really need my help. :)
You should save summoning me for the big things! :eek:
I've got visions of drawing a red chalk pentangle on the deck with a candle made from human fat at each corner wile chanting Black Sabbath lyrics backwards :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil PlymouthLive: "24 Fascinating Tales You Might Not Have Known About Plymouth" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Crime news: Rossendales now known as Marston Holdings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ban of third party sales of puppies and kittens, known as ‘Lucy’s Law’, confirmed MoD News 0
C A little bit of lesser known history Bases / Shore Est 4
T The Greatest Military / Pub Duvet Jacket known to man - Kosa 3 Mk II is here Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
tentoes Oh the hours I could have saved, had I known. The Corps 3
trelawney126 Last Known WW1 Veteran Dies in Aus Current Affairs 19
Good CO Short term broken forum links - known issue Site Issues 0
Good CO Site Upgrade - Known Issues, Please suffer things until tomorrow and goodnight! Site Issues 15
NotmeChief Hows about the Chinese singer known as 'Fat'? The Internet - Best and Worst 3
golden_rivet Golden Rivet would like it to be known ... Diamond Lil's 23
T Does Jersey want to be known as a Paedophile Haven? Current Affairs 12
G I'm New But You May Have Known The G'dad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
creddly So are ex-service personnel rejoining known? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Good_CO Known Error - vanishing "shore est" forum Site Issues 1
P Why were Cobblers in the Navy Known as SNOBS? The Quarterdeck 6
ukdaytona Toilet Habits Of The Lesser Known Dirty Barsteward Diamond Lil's 21
slim Little known facts about Wafu's The Gash Barge 3
N Well Known German Submarine The Gash Barge 4
Bad CO KNOWN ISSUE - Chatroom and Firefox 2 Site Issues 12
N Well known TV Submarine "Dass Boot" Submariners 3
P Great Spoofs I have Known (now with pictures) History 77
MoD_RSS Derailment and fire involving a tanker train at Llangennech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAIB report 07/2020: Freight train derailment at Willesden High Level Junction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train derailment near Carmont – updated 21/08/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train derailment near Carmont, Aberdeenshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 05/2020: Loss of brake control on a sleeper train approaching Edinburgh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 04/2020: Train collision with material washed out from a cutting slope at Corby, Northamptonshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train collision with a derailed locomotive, Bromsgrove MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reduced rail timetable agreed to protect train services and staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GTR's Try a Train days help to increase passengers' confidence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Freight train derailment at Eastleigh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Freight train derailment near Wanstead Park MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 16/2019: Near miss between a passenger train and lorry at Mucking AHB level crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interim report 01/2019: Track workers struck by a train at Margam MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Train collision at Neville Hill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Train collision with tree, near Spittal, south-west Wales MoD News 0
SnowGoose PRNC Train tickets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Report 14/2019: Fatal accident involving a train passenger at Twerton MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Equipment explosion on an empty passenger train MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train door open in traffic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Loss of brake control on a passenger train approaching Edinburgh Waverley MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 06/2019: Train travelling with doors open on the Jubilee line MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Freight train derailment, Willesden High Level Junction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Report 04/2019: Near miss between a train and a track worker at Peterborough MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK train manufacturer named preferred bidder for €4.4 billion contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Competition will breathe new life into an old Pacer train MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Report 03/2019: Train dispatch accident at Elstree & Borehamwood station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Near miss between a lorry and passenger train at Mucking level crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Multi-million pound fund to train more educational psychologists in schools MoD News 0