The Rigid Raider

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by RigidRaider, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My name is Scott Davis and I am from the US and I own a Rigid Raider Boston Whaler. She is a very nice vessel, while doing research on these types of boats I noticed that the Royal Marines used them quite a bit. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has stories to share on this vessel or any information on her value?

I appoligize is this posting is intrusive, I just wanted to get some more info in what I have.

Thank you in advance,

Scott Davis

I do have pictures

2. Hi Scott
    If you have seen photos of the Rigid Raider used by the RM then you will know that they are quite a small craft designed to insert up to around 8 men preferably in a covert fashion.

3. Yes it seems that it was a very unique vessel. What are the differences between the MK1 and the MK2?

Thank you,

Scott

4. Thank you so much for the welcome mine has twin 70 evenrudes and is 19 ft long it is a 1988 model.

Scott

5. Many Mk1 Raiders have been re-engined and are still providing sterling service at various pussers sailing centres as safety boats.

6. Thank you very much for the information guys. Love the information

7. Apart from when coxed by an LC3 rate who loves hoofin' up the beach :w00t: :dwarf: (that'll be all of 'em.), causing Nods to 'Hit the beach' face first, got to love those British beaches with their 'sandy' pebbles!

8. Designed specifically to get nods neck deep in the oggin prior to leopard crawling across sand followed normally by an epic thigh chapping yomp

9. I do not know for sure colggie but im pritty sure that they are royal engineers and not bootknecks. Or at least thats what i have been told.

10. Look at their clumsiness! They MUST be Royals!
    :tongue5:

Btw, I like your name ;)

11. You always tell me that haha

12. Ye can't say it often enough now can ye? :)

The song in the film is quite appropriate aye?

13. Does anyone have any idea of the value of my vessel?

Scott

14. The Combat Support Boat featured in the infamous vid from Basra is an RE asset( though some where loaned to the RNTTs till fairly recently). I was told that the Percies in the video are 4RHA. If you look carefully a mudskipper legs it across the screen at one point.

15. Here in Blighty, a sound 5-6 metre Dorey hull ( which is all a Mk1 RR really is) can be found for a couple ton, going up to bag of sand for a really good used example. Thats without the donkies obviously.

16. I thought Our marines never used had the assault troop life jackets set for salt water activated for the same reason it went off in the video?

As far as I'm aware marines never had all 3 modes to use with the assault troop life jacket