The right to be offensive ? / Fat gate.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Stirlin, Oct 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34613855
    -
    At the time of the attacks on the twin towers, many expressed their shock at the gratuitous murder of 3,000 innocent people, blaming doctrinal Islam for the perversion of the criminals responsible. Immediately a new word entered the public discourse - Islamophobia.

2. Prof Brian Cox summed it up quite well "
    The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! "
    So all those cretins who believe in Sky Puppets and all that other cock..can and should be pointed at in the street and laughed at...I mean the Pope ffs what the feck is all that about...

• Like Like x 1
  3. I feel that there is an obligation to be offensive towards people with views that are incompatible with the civilised world.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The French?
    Millwall supporters?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are times you know, when I sometimes wonder if @Spidiver really is a Naval Padre after all.

Up until now, most I've met blaspheme a little more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Excellent article.

It will be interesting to see if the contributors over with Percy will read this and be wondering how the BBC had been "allowed" to even contemplate such a thing, seeing as they are all lefty wets who are actively seeking to silence the (correct-thinking) right-wingers who are the sole arbiters of the Truth.

Or some such nonsense.

7. Thank you for that Dredd , maybe one of our posters who think this site is dead and boring could link it over there and see what the reaction is.;)

8. Won't be that easy Stirl. There doesn't seem to be a new thread on this so if it has been included it will be a post in an existing one - not discovered which one yet. If I do I will post across.

Of course, this could mean that you lot have stolen a march on the others and been first in . . . ;)

9. A good article and to a large extent he is correct, this countries drive via legislation, for political correctness in all forms of life is almost impossible to live and work with, at work having an opinion or telling a joke could offend someone, so they complain to the PC police, which if upheld could mean dismissal. IMO PC at all costs is bonkers, once again politicians jumping on a bandwagon, instead of trying to fully understand any issue they think legislation or government control is the answer, some bean counter will have a matrix somewhere to measure how effective the legislation has been.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Agree Sumo , BZ.

11. As many have found out it is near impossible to express an opinion on almost any subject without the risk of offending someone. Further to that the offended person is more likely to share what has been offensive(in their eyes) with others via social media and before you know it they're queueing up to be offended all over the country. What might have originally been intended as a light hearted quip has now got the power to offend great swathes of the population who have no idea who the quipee is and the context in which the remark was made.
    I can understand why legislation was passed to protect certain minority groups from unwelcome comments but many see this as being given free rein to be offended by any thing they don't like even if it is true and try and use it to discredit the person who said it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yes but this article says God , Adam and Eve , the second coming of Christ and the coming apocalypse are all true.;)
    -

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/13901178.Meet_the_men_who_made_the_Minster_s_Great_East_Window/

13. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I know, great innit!! :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Went down the pub after the Rememberance Service to watch the MotoGp. Several old stagers in there, Falklands Vets mostly. In came a couple of the younger generation, immediately set upon by the old guys for not attending the Rememberance service. As the one youngster, with three Afghan tours behind him said, "I'll remember my fallen comrades in my own way, don't offend me because I didn't attend a Church service." Who's in the wrong there then?

15. Nothing wrong with the young thrusters remembering their buddies in their own way.
    Not for we old farts to try and impress our standards on others.

16. God is bollocks. Religion is utterly irrelevant to
    the vast majority of people in 2015. The fact it's thrust upon you wether you like it or not in the services actually irritates me. Especially the 'Died in service of God' crap the church often peddles to servicemen. Nobody dies in the service of God these days, so **** off Church of England.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Have to agree there Monty, most wars are started in the name of religion, or that great God Oil.

18. Although I marvel at the magnificent architecture of cathedrals , churches and the like you will never convince me that there is a god , probably there was a deluded chippy some 2000 odd years ago who was a very good motivational speaker , jealous oppo dropped him in the shit and he was nailed up.
    Grips my shit at all the countless lives lost in the name of religion/belief , and young lives ruined by priest's who assume it is their god given right to rape and abuse. Best not go too far as I would not want this thread to suffer the same fate as JHC a few years ago.

• Like Like x 6
  19. You got my vote Stirl!