The right choice?

Here's another question, sorry guys.

What's life like in the services that you are or were in? I've heard that the life of a soldier is 99% boredom 1% sheer terror. Now that's obviously applicable to those on the Western Front during WW1, but what's life like for those of you who serve or served?

Yes, I can join a Reserve or Auxillary, but I'd quite like to maybe pick a couple of things up here first; as after all, if I do join it'd be in a few years yet.

I can imagine that a life in the military can actually be quite boring, sitting round waiting to be told to do something. Or have I got the totally wrong idea and do you have to be constantly alert and doing your job? I can understand that on a ship the role of the average person is obviously incredibly important and so they're liable to be constantly active, everyone's there for a reason, but what about those with a rifle in their hands or standing next to a gun? What's life like for both of these [and other] cases?

Basically, what is the daily structure like for you lot?

amour_de_moutons said:
Here's another question, sorry guys.

I can imagine that a life in the military can actually be quite boring, sitting round waiting to be told to do something.
Yep, it can be boring waiting around for shit to happen but when it does..... it's cool. But there is nothing much fun about your times you will be cleaning scrubbing doing thankless repetetive tasks, and as a baby grunter running shit errands for the old man. Hmm.
Ah, what the hell? What else you gonna do? You might even get some medals.......... hmmmmmmmmmm

D

Deleted 7

Oh lord, I needed to book another day off work to read all that!
Do what you feel is best for YOU and no one else, I can promise you that the vast majority serving do not agree with the way to we have entered into war.

Join up for YOU and YOU only, girlfriends/boyfriends come and go, so don't hold back because this month's flame doesn't want you to go.

The military is a good and founding career if you have chosen the right path for YOU. Don't believe half the stuff you hear or see in the news, news is proper gander, made on the basis that bad news sells better than good news. Have you ever noticed that the good stuff is hardly published about our serving friends?

If you're sitting around waiting for your next and bored, take up a course, if you fancy educational, the military will give you the means to do this and will pay a majority of your fees. Why not take up a sport? Adventure training? It is always there for you.

Only boring people get bored! Well, some times!

You have a brain, use it and if not take up another time breaking hobby.

Oh, I understand the propaganda bit about the news. Just check what we get on China. I refuse to believe that China is some evil iron-curtained hell-hole. Sure, it may not have fantastic freedoms, but we don't know what else it has because our media doesn't want to tell us.

Another thing is, if someone doesn't agree with a war the least the soldier can do is try and make it go as smoothly as possible with as few naughty happenings as possible.

I've come across a problem though if I do wish to advance into the military (which is starting to become more attractive).
I can't run, well I can, but terribly. My defence is that it's hot, but that's a poor defence.

I'm about 5'6" and I'm not gonna get much taller. I've tried to improve my running for about 9 months now. I started off getting into a bad state at about 200m, there was lots of phlegm. Over time the phlegm turned to blood, 'strange,' thought I. Turned out to be chest infection, got that sorted, learnt that I can actually breathe.

5 miles with 13 minutes a mile. Compared to where I was before that's fantastic, but it's still rubbish when it comes to running.
Do you guys have any suggestions when it comes to running or improving fitness apart from, 'do more'? As doing more seems to have worked well so far; I'm just wondering whether there's anything else you can suggest. I know there's another thread on this and I hope you don't mind, but I'm just asking for one or two minor tips at the moment.

dondon

MIA
Jenny_Dabber said:
Oh lord, I needed to book another day off work to read all that!
Do what you feel is best for YOU and no one else, I can promise you that the vast majority serving do not agree with the way to we have entered into war.

Join up for YOU and YOU only, girlfriends/boyfriends come and go, so don't hold back because this month's flame doesn't want you to go.

The military is a good and founding career if you have chosen the right path for YOU. Don't believe half the stuff you hear or see in the news, news is proper gander, made on the basis that bad news sells better than good news. Have you ever noticed that the good stuff is hardly published about our serving friends?

If you're sitting around waiting for your next and bored, take up a course, if you fancy educational, the military will give you the means to do this and will pay a majority of your fees. Why not take up a sport? Adventure training? It is always there for you.

Only boring people get bored! Well, some times!

You have a brain, use it and if not take up another time breaking hobby.
Ditto Jd :roll: :twisted: