The Red Sailor

diesel

Lantern Swinger
trelawney126 said:
There are no takers, as yet, for "Send Down A Dove." The book belongs to Pedro "redsailor" Am willing to post to you? Do you have an address where mail can reach you If necessary PM me with the Chinese/Portugese version.
Re :Cadbury and Tom Titt - your memory still working Consider yourself still Medcat P2
Have sent you a PM shippers :thumbup:

witsend said:
Just finished the book. You old guys had it so easy. Far too much pissing up and not enough scrubbing out. :wink:

No we did the scrubbin, but the time we pissed up is when you lot are on your computers or playing your x box games.

Uckers and crib at sea, usual deck sports, but alongside if you was on board you was either duty part, broke to f*ck and no mess funds, or under pun. :D :D :D :cry: :cry:

Thrown in FWIW:

Locked into brain since I first read “Send Down A Dove†circa 1969.

‘Oh Lord above,
Send down a Dove,
With talons sharp as razors:

To slit the throats
Of them there blokes
Wot sells bad beer to Sailors.’

Required reading for all Deeps in those days….

BreathingOutOnTheWayUp said:
Thrown in FWIW:

Locked into brain since I first read “Send Down A Dove†circa 1969.

‘Oh Lord above,
Send down a Dove,
With talons sharp as razors:

To slit the throats
Of them there blokes
Wot sells bad beer to Sailors.’

Required reading for all Deeps in those days….
Sharp intake of breath for you.....almost right.
page 349.

"That's it," cried Bain. I remember it now:
O, Lord above,send down a dove
With wings as sharp as razors
To cut the throats, of them there blokes
Wot sells bad beer to sailors."
Just about to forward book to Diesel Bloody good read. Reminded me of the Anchorite. 1966 Indian Ocean. (1 days service in boats) I take my hat off to them! :wink:

Thanks trelawney126 for that amendment.

(I guess I should be allowed a couple of words wrong - After all it was 40 years ago, opps!)

Straying off-topic onto poetry, my sods opera party-piece used to be some risque rhymes.

Intro - 'You will have heard of Pam Ayres, well I am her Ugly Sister: Pubic Ayres.....'

and so it went down hill from there. . . . . Any Excuse for a Drag Act!!

BreathingOutOnTheWayUp said:
Thanks trelawney126 for that amendment.

(I guess I should be allowed a couple of words wrong - After all it was 40 years ago, opps!)

Straying off-topic onto poetry, my sods opera party-piece used to be some risque rhymes.

Intro - 'You will have heard of Pam Ayres, well I am her Ugly Sister: Pubic Ayres.....'

and so it went down hill from there. . . . . Any Excuse for a Drag Act!!
Same boat, I was also guilty of misquoting, but then I had the benefit of the book.As for sods operas I remember doing the Cinderella one with lines like
"What twenty men, god bless my soul your cnut could take a ton of coal.
And if the truth I dare to tell, could take the coalmans boots as well!". Happy days :oops:

bryans18 said:
Any chance of being put on the waiting list I am a former booty and read the book in Singers 1966

Cheers
Can do? but not sure who is next?? Jack.Roscrew. Bryans 18 :salute: Nobody has Pm me ,to post on. (when ive read it)

scouse said:
bryans18 said:
Any chance of being put on the waiting list I am a former booty and read the book in Singers 1966

Cheers
Can do? but not sure who is next?? Jack.Roscrew. Bryans 18 :salute: Nobody has Pm me ,to post on. (when ive read it)
The book is up for grabs :wink: Have read it, please PM me with your address. Who ever is next. Ps The bad old days :lol: :lol: Coxns then OOW report. Jimmys defaulters then Captains defaulters!!! all in the space of 10 mins. :cry: :cry: 14 days stoppage of leave and pay, (Adrift from both watches 3hrs 27 mins in Singers) :oops:

Wonder if HMS Homage , in Red Sailor was maybe HMS Barfleur??? He said it was a Battle class launched in 1944 (19th destroyer flotilla) :dontknow: :dontknow:

scouse said:
Wonder if HMS Homage , in Red Sailor was maybe HMS Barfleur??? He said it was a Battle class launched in 1944 (19th destroyer flotilla) :dontknow: :dontknow:
Scouse I think the chap in the know would be your mate "redsailor". I think he knew the chap who the story was modelled on. He was out the FES at the time.