The Red Sailor

JedS

Midshipman
Remember reading the book about 1966 or 1967 time whilst I was on the Phoebe (first commission).

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well, I thought since there was so much interest about this book, that I'd better read it........ that's about 4 hours of my life I'm not getting back. Did I miss something? I think it was poorly written and, well, pretty crap.

Honestly, can somebody tell me what all the fuss is about?

I realise that a lot of folk read it in the old days and hankered to re-read it. So is it like me wanting to re-read my favourite 'Swallows and Amazons'?

Sumo

War Hero
Well, I thought since there was so much interest about this book, that I'd better read it........ that's about 4 hours of my life I'm not getting back. Did I miss something? I think it was poorly written and, well, pretty crap.

I realise that a lot of folk read it in the old days and hankered to re-read it. So is it like me wanting to re-read my favourite 'Swallows and Amazons'?
Only 4 hours for that many pages? I would take days, best not waste them if its shite how do I spot poorly written?

Archangel

Badgeman
Thanks for the link, @SONAR-BENDER - had nothing to do at work so went through it in a day. I thought it was an entertaining read, but the writing style was quite basic.

I'd say it's worth a read if you've got a few dead hours. The author clearly ran out of time with regards to the ending - very abrupt and didn't seem to fit the rest of the narrative.

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
I think some of you may be missing the point. When I first read this I was a teenager in Terror. I'd slung a mick and can remember when Pompey was a rig run only. Obviously it struck a cord, a certain thrill. I can't comment on his literary style but he obviously knew something of life and times, something that maybe should be preserved.

Off for another beer now.

Jane

Midshipman
Great find shippers,
Like most you I read this in the 60's.
Will have my second read this weekend.
Yes Sir!

Rumrat

War Hero
Thanks Sonar.
I bought a facsimile copy of the REd Sailor about two years ago.
However I let it out on loan ad it has not come back to me yet.
This is a great download

Have a TOT
Your not going to love me no more scouse for the blasphemy I am about to spout.
I read the Red Sailor years ago when I was a young OD in my first ship.
For years I thought it the holy grail of "Jackishness" and thought to be like that would be lush.
Having re read it about twelve months ago I found it a bit flat as during the 60's we were a tad like him anyway.
Obedient but ever so slightly bolshie.
So I re read Very Ordinary seaman and to be honest found it a much better read.
The Red Sailor well a bit like Virgin soldier good the first time but leaving you a bit unexcited on the second read/view.

Rumrat

War Hero

Yes David it is but he doesn't die at the end as you know.
Looking at it now as a mature (shut your faces) gent no forget that I mean person it is a bit lame.
And it's called nostalgia.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Yes David it is but he doesn't die at the end as you know.
Looking at it now as a mature (shut your faces) gent no forget that I mean person it is a bit lame.
And it's called nostalgia.
Fully agree that Very Ordinary Seaman is a far better read, I've got an original paperback version of it as well :)

Thanks fro the tip. I'd had a couple of copies in the sixties, loaned out, went missing and didn't fancy spending the huge sums demanded on e-bay, etc. Ordered mine on the 14/11/17, it was delivered yesterday well packed and complete. Not the clearest text I've ever seen, but about as expected. Looking forward to rereading it. Thanks again.

Latest Threads