The Red Sailor

Well, I thought since there was so much interest about this book, that I'd better read it........ that's about 4 hours of my life I'm not getting back. Did I miss something? I think it was poorly written and, well, pretty crap.

Honestly, can somebody tell me what all the fuss is about?

I realise that a lot of folk read it in the old days and hankered to re-read it. So is it like me wanting to re-read my favourite 'Swallows and Amazons'?

Well, I thought since there was so much interest about this book, that I'd better read it........ that's about 4 hours of my life I'm not getting back. Did I miss something? I think it was poorly written and, well, pretty crap.

I realise that a lot of folk read it in the old days and hankered to re-read it. So is it like me wanting to re-read my favourite 'Swallows and Amazons'?
Only 4 hours for that many pages? I would take days, best not waste them if its shite how do I spot poorly written?

Thanks for the link, @SONAR-BENDER - had nothing to do at work so went through it in a day. I thought it was an entertaining read, but the writing style was quite basic.

I'd say it's worth a read if you've got a few dead hours. The author clearly ran out of time with regards to the ending - very abrupt and didn't seem to fit the rest of the narrative.

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
I think some of you may be missing the point. When I first read this I was a teenager in Terror. I'd slung a mick and can remember when Pompey was a rig run only. Obviously it struck a cord, a certain thrill. I can't comment on his literary style but he obviously knew something of life and times, something that maybe should be preserved.

Off for another beer now.

Thanks Sonar.
I bought a facsimile copy of the REd Sailor about two years ago.
However I let it out on loan ad it has not come back to me yet.
This is a great download

Have a TOT
Your not going to love me no more scouse for the blasphemy I am about to spout.
I read the Red Sailor years ago when I was a young OD in my first ship.
For years I thought it the holy grail of "Jackishness" and thought to be like that would be lush.
Having re read it about twelve months ago I found it a bit flat as during the 60's we were a tad like him anyway.
Obedient but ever so slightly bolshie.
So I re read Very Ordinary seaman and to be honest found it a much better read.
The Red Sailor well a bit like Virgin soldier good the first time but leaving you a bit unexcited on the second read/view.

Yes David it is but he doesn't die at the end as you know.
Looking at it now as a mature (shut your faces) gent no forget that I mean person it is a bit lame.
And it's called nostalgia.

Yes David it is but he doesn't die at the end as you know.
Looking at it now as a mature (shut your faces) gent no forget that I mean person it is a bit lame.
And it's called nostalgia.
Fully agree that Very Ordinary Seaman is a far better read, I've got an original paperback version of it as well :)

Thanks fro the tip. I'd had a couple of copies in the sixties, loaned out, went missing and didn't fancy spending the huge sums demanded on e-bay, etc. Ordered mine on the 14/11/17, it was delivered yesterday well packed and complete. Not the clearest text I've ever seen, but about as expected. Looking forward to rereading it. Thanks again.