The Red Sailor

JedS

Midshipman
Remember reading the book about 1966 or 1967 time whilst I was on the Phoebe (first commission).

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well, I thought since there was so much interest about this book, that I'd better read it........ that's about 4 hours of my life I'm not getting back. Did I miss something? I think it was poorly written and, well, pretty crap.

Honestly, can somebody tell me what all the fuss is about?

I realise that a lot of folk read it in the old days and hankered to re-read it. So is it like me wanting to re-read my favourite 'Swallows and Amazons'?

Sumo

War Hero
Well, I thought since there was so much interest about this book, that I'd better read it........ that's about 4 hours of my life I'm not getting back. Did I miss something? I think it was poorly written and, well, pretty crap.

I realise that a lot of folk read it in the old days and hankered to re-read it. So is it like me wanting to re-read my favourite 'Swallows and Amazons'?
Only 4 hours for that many pages? I would take days, best not waste them if its shite how do I spot poorly written?

Archangel

Badgeman
Thanks for the link, @SONAR-BENDER - had nothing to do at work so went through it in a day. I thought it was an entertaining read, but the writing style was quite basic.

I'd say it's worth a read if you've got a few dead hours. The author clearly ran out of time with regards to the ending - very abrupt and didn't seem to fit the rest of the narrative.

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
I think some of you may be missing the point. When I first read this I was a teenager in Terror. I'd slung a mick and can remember when Pompey was a rig run only. Obviously it struck a cord, a certain thrill. I can't comment on his literary style but he obviously knew something of life and times, something that maybe should be preserved.

Off for another beer now.

Jane

Midshipman
Great find shippers,
Like most you I read this in the 60's.
Will have my second read this weekend.
Yes Sir!

Rumrat

War Hero
Thanks Sonar.
I bought a facsimile copy of the REd Sailor about two years ago.
However I let it out on loan ad it has not come back to me yet.
This is a great download

Have a TOT
Your not going to love me no more scouse for the blasphemy I am about to spout.
I read the Red Sailor years ago when I was a young OD in my first ship.
For years I thought it the holy grail of "Jackishness" and thought to be like that would be lush.
Having re read it about twelve months ago I found it a bit flat as during the 60's we were a tad like him anyway.
Obedient but ever so slightly bolshie.
So I re read Very Ordinary seaman and to be honest found it a much better read.
The Red Sailor well a bit like Virgin soldier good the first time but leaving you a bit unexcited on the second read/view.

Rumrat

War Hero

Yes David it is but he doesn't die at the end as you know.
Looking at it now as a mature (shut your faces) gent no forget that I mean person it is a bit lame.
And it's called nostalgia.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Yes David it is but he doesn't die at the end as you know.
Looking at it now as a mature (shut your faces) gent no forget that I mean person it is a bit lame.
And it's called nostalgia.
Fully agree that Very Ordinary Seaman is a far better read, I've got an original paperback version of it as well :)

Thanks fro the tip. I'd had a couple of copies in the sixties, loaned out, went missing and didn't fancy spending the huge sums demanded on e-bay, etc. Ordered mine on the 14/11/17, it was delivered yesterday well packed and complete. Not the clearest text I've ever seen, but about as expected. Looking forward to rereading it. Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R 'The Red Sailor' (Patrick O'Hara) Diamond Lil's 24
slim Who Wants their own copy of Patrick O'brians Red Sailor? The Book Club 16
tam Copy of the Red Sailor For Sale The Book Club 0
R The Real Red Sailor Role Model The Book Club 9
tam Copy of the Red Sailor for sale The Book Club 169
Mongke's_Fist The Red Sailor - auction for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines charity The Book Club 37
A The Red Sailor Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
O The Red Sailor The Book Club 44
(granny) the red sailor. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
w.anchor The Red Sailor History 150
MoD_RSS Red Arrows to stay in Lincolnshire following RAF Scampton closure MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Falcon and Greylag report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's iconic first red public telephone box listed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FC Red Bull Salzburg (AUT) v Liverpool FC (ENG) travel advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Red Star v Tottenham Hotspur MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vancouver Marks Final Canadian Stop on Red Arrows Tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Arrows set to soar across Canada MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Housing Minister announces boost for families and high streets as planning red tape is axed MoD News 0
K Red painted Lynx - 1990 The Fleet Air Arm 8
MoD_RSS News story: Red Falcon and Phoenix report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Red X warning for North West’s motorway drivers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Red Nose Day marks 10 years of UK aid and Comic Relief partnership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows' North American Display list revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Young people most at risk in a flood, warns Environment Agency & British Red Cross MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Marsquakes’ mission successfully lands on Red Planet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Proposals unveiled to cut red tape for divers retrieving marine litter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Scottish Poppy Appeal’s ‘Light up Red’ campaign comes to Dover House MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Jonathan Bayliss, Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: The Red Arrows are back to Kuwait MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World renowned RAF Red Arrows to tour Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows return to UK after historic tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 'Red Arrows is a striking symbol of the UK-India collaboration' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows to promote prosperity with major Asia tour MoD News 0
D Red Plum gone ... The Fleet 17
BARNEYRNSM Red rip out form Submariners 14
DemobJob PCV Drivers Required - Red Bus - High Wycombe The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BillyNoMates Roses are Red. The Gash Barge 42
A New ebook: The Red Baron:WW1 German Flying Ace. 100th WW1 Anniversary Edition. The Book Club 10
taffscrivs Little red riding hood Miscellaneous 0
soleil Navy News: "Red Feather Day For HMS Montrose" The Fleet 1
soleil Pomepy News: "Portsmouth Sailors Turn Their Caps Red For Remembrance Day" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC Inside Out South West: "From Red Squirrel To Flying Squirrel!" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Expr: "'Cold War Cat And Mouse Games Put Us On Red Alert,' Says Submarine Commander Submariners 21
Stirling Red tape. Diamond Lil's 3
soleil ITV London: "Red Phone Box Installed On Warship" The Fleet 1
SONAR-BENDER Red Bloody Nose Day Diamond Lil's 38
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy ship discovers Red Sea canyon MoD News 0
trelawney126 Red Arrows to be Based in Dhelii Diamond Lil's 11
Stirling Red mist. The Gash Barge 144