The Red Sailor

I know there has been stuff written before about this book and the lack of availability, so when I stumbled across this on 't'interweb, I thought I'd share it with you all......

Those that have Kindles etc will obviously be aware of the free download e-book programme called 'Calibre' than can sort and convert any e-book to any format. Just sayin' like!

Apart from the Seamanship Handbook and Foundations of Wireless, the most-eagerly-studied book in my first year of Service life (1965) was this - the Red Sailor. It became a thesaurus of slang, insults and expletives for me and my mess-mates in our efforts to become 'Jack me Tickler' before our first drafts. It's been out of print for years and hard copies were selling for a couple of hundred until ..... some kind person scanned a copy and put it on line with archive.org. Bless you, whoever you are
:)
PDF format 13MB file, so may not open on a smartphone.
https://archive.org/…/in.ern…/2015.149930.The-Red-Sailor.pdf

Thanks Sonar.
I bought a facsimile copy of the REd Sailor about two years ago.
However I let it out on loan ad it has not come back to me yet.
This is a great download

Have a TOT

I know there has been stuff written before about this book and the lack of availability, so when I stumbled across this on 't'interweb, I thought I'd share it with you all......

Those that have Kindles etc will obviously be aware of the free download e-book programme called 'Calibre' than can sort and convert any e-book to any format. Just sayin' like!

Apart from the Seamanship Handbook and Foundations of Wireless, the most-eagerly-studied book in my first year of Service life (1965) was this - the Red Sailor. It became a thesaurus of slang, insults and expletives for me and my mess-mates in our efforts to become 'Jack me Tickler' before our first drafts. It's been out of print for years and hard copies were selling for a couple of hundred until ..... some kind person scanned a copy and put it on line with archive.org. Bless you, whoever you are
:)
PDF format 13MB file, so may not open on a smartphone.
https://archive.org/…/in.ern…/2015.149930.The-Red-Sailor.pdf
You dancer. Thanks for that. ;)

Thanks Sonar
I have put the links ontwo other navy sites and members there wish to convey their thanks to sharing this info