Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'The Red Sailor' (Patrick O'Hara)

RumRat..

Midshipman
Remember this book? It starts with an A/B in DQs who is drafted to a ship sailing to the Far East during the Korean war but was entirely relevant to the 60s Navy. Incomprehensible to a civilian because of its intensive use of naval slang but a great read. Sadly it's been out of print for many years, but the good news is that you can get a copy from AbeBooks.co.uk for under a tenner (printed in India) Was great to read it again after all those years.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've said it before and I'll say it again - it is crap!! Why there is so much fuss made of this book eludes me.

What happened to the Japanese bird?

A poor and badly written diatribe.

RumRat..

Midshipman
I guess it depends when you served. The book is a damming indictment of the RN in the 50s/60s and the class differences. As for being 'badly written' . . Well it wasn't and touched the hearts of thousands of matelots who could identify with the books antihero.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm with SB on this, I heard so much about it I had to read it and was sorely disappointed.

I thought it was poorly written dross with no ending.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I do remember the book and if you'd read it you'd know it doesn't say he drowns but his oppo's all die, he's the last one left in the water.

Archstoker

Midshipman
Spoiler alert !!!
No point in carrying on reading the bleedin book now is there ?
Mind you my book does have the the last page ripped out!!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
He is just a gob-shite OD, end of dit! The ending is inconclusive - it is assumed he karks it. More importantly, what happened to the Japanese floozy?

It is crap!!

ETA - I may still have a PDF copy if anyone REALLY wants to waste a few hours of their life!

RumRat..

Midshipman
Sonar bender, I joined as a UC basic and left as a killickUC1. The red sailor was a great book and if you can't see that, I pity you.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Sonar bender, I joined as a UC basic and left as a killickUC1. The red sailor was a great book and if you can't see that, I pity you.
I joined as a JS1 and left as a CWEA. First ship was a Type 14.

No pity required - it is crap!

PS I hate reading sci-fi and shit-kickers too.

slim

War Hero
I like the book
It certainly is not well written and the ending does leave too many loose ends.
However it did reflect the differences between the officers and ratings that were still prevelent in the 60s.
I read it once and have not read it since though that is nt to say I wlill never read it again.
Definitely a book of its time

...it did reflect the differences between the officers and ratings that were still prevelent in the 60s...Definitely a book of its time.
IIRC the term 'lowly common sailor-man' appeared throughout that book and struck a chord with certain of those less ambitious NAAFI ratings some of whom gleefully embraced it as some sort of badge of honour.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slim Who Wants their own copy of Patrick O'brians Red Sailor? The Book Club 16
SONAR-BENDER The Red Sailor The Book Club 37
tam Copy of the Red Sailor For Sale The Book Club 0
R The Real Red Sailor Role Model The Book Club 9
tam Copy of the Red Sailor for sale The Book Club 169
Mongke's_Fist The Red Sailor - auction for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines charity The Book Club 37
A The Red Sailor Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
O The Red Sailor The Book Club 44
(granny) the red sailor. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
w.anchor The Red Sailor History 150
MoD_RSS In praise of red tape: getting regulation right MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to cut red tape for farmers as they plan for 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Benefits fraudsters are shown the red light by government scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 30-year anniversary of landmark release of red kites in the Chiltern Hills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MAIB to carry out investigations on behalf of Red Ensign Group Cat 1 registries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Arrows to stay in Lincolnshire following RAF Scampton closure MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Falcon and Greylag report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's iconic first red public telephone box listed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FC Red Bull Salzburg (AUT) v Liverpool FC (ENG) travel advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Red Star v Tottenham Hotspur MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vancouver Marks Final Canadian Stop on Red Arrows Tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Arrows set to soar across Canada MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Housing Minister announces boost for families and high streets as planning red tape is axed MoD News 0
K Red painted Lynx - 1990 The Fleet Air Arm 8
MoD_RSS News story: Red Falcon and Phoenix report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Red X warning for North West’s motorway drivers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Red Nose Day marks 10 years of UK aid and Comic Relief partnership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows' North American Display list revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Young people most at risk in a flood, warns Environment Agency & British Red Cross MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Marsquakes’ mission successfully lands on Red Planet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Proposals unveiled to cut red tape for divers retrieving marine litter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Scottish Poppy Appeal’s ‘Light up Red’ campaign comes to Dover House MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Jonathan Bayliss, Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: The Red Arrows are back to Kuwait MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World renowned RAF Red Arrows to tour Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows return to UK after historic tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 'Red Arrows is a striking symbol of the UK-India collaboration' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows to promote prosperity with major Asia tour MoD News 0
D Red Plum gone ... The Fleet 17
BARNEYRNSM Red rip out form Submariners 14
DemobJob PCV Drivers Required - Red Bus - High Wycombe The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BillyNoMates Roses are Red. The Gash Barge 42
A New ebook: The Red Baron:WW1 German Flying Ace. 100th WW1 Anniversary Edition. The Book Club 10
taffscrivs Little red riding hood Miscellaneous 0
soleil Navy News: "Red Feather Day For HMS Montrose" The Fleet 1
soleil Pomepy News: "Portsmouth Sailors Turn Their Caps Red For Remembrance Day" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC Inside Out South West: "From Red Squirrel To Flying Squirrel!" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Expr: "'Cold War Cat And Mouse Games Put Us On Red Alert,' Says Submarine Commander Submariners 21
Stirling Red tape. Diamond Lil's 3