The Rear Admiral is having a Senior Moment

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by scouse, Apr 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If the pilots can not positively identify a target as being friend or foe surely the ROEs say that no action should be taken.

2. :wtf: Finks, you must be a'rubbing your hands wi' glee till the skin peels orf.

Troubled times everywhichway - Exposing sooooo many fat juicy targets for your bitterness.

(I should say 'Lighten up' but enjoy it all whilst it lasts, Sunshine, after all there doesn't seem to be too much pleasure left for you these days: #23 at http://www.navy-net.co.uk/health-fitness/58402-cholesterol-5.html#post1023026)

:hmph:

3. I would suggest that until yesterday tank = foe, because they "knew" no friends had such a capability. It's a bit like us sinking an Iranian Kilo - we know only the Iranians have them, until the day the Omani's tell us they've got one too.

Shit happens, tragic, but since when has war ever been clean and tidy? Hell, we practice on a Tues and Thurs often enough, yet I would suggest that we don't have it dialed down yet.

4. Friend or foe?

You make it sound like we are supporting the rebels militarily, rather than acting in support of UN resolution 1973. We are there to support civilians, and anyone driving a tank in a battlefield is not a civilian. In fact they are a direct threat to the poor civilians in the vicinity of pro-Gaddafi troops.

5. For goodness sake, why would I be rubbing my hands with glee when men who we are supposed to be defending have been killed in error, your Freudian analysis of me is way off the mark.

Incidentally my cholesterol is in fine fettle thanks to Dr Simvastatin.

So you think this fine naval officer should have said sorry, or don't you have an opinion on it?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Interesting to see at the end of the article the "throwaway" comment by a US General regarding the fact that if NATO decrees (Not 'merica, mind) they may well put troops on the ground.

By coincidence, theres 4,000 US Marines on the way & indeed there's also a "long-standing" amphibious exercise in the area (which we all knew about back in October apparenly) entitled "Cougar 11" - Happy days.

Anyone remember it? Nah, me neither.

7. Why should he apologise? They destroyed tanks that endanger civilian lives, entirely in keeping with the UNSCR. It wasn't a case of them blowing up a Chally 2 was it?

He can regret it, but he was doing his job.

9. My opinion on the incident/non-apology? An almost inevitable consequence of the fog of suchlike 'warfare'. I lay all blame at the feet of the deranged dictator of that troubled country.

For my opinion on yet another of your 'targets' ? - Re-read my last.

An additional opinion - You really should try to lighten up. After all, armchair sniping & gloating at those bearing the responsibilities of the state/military is a rather sad pastime for a Vet/RR contributor and alters nothing in the real world.

10. Ninja_Stoker

It is indeed good to see one of our Admirals doing a tactical job. Fully concur with his comments on the 'blue on blue' issue. The mandate is to defend civilans, not those who take-up arms & render themselves militia.

11. That is not what we are doing, we have taken sides.

12. So who is gloating? He got it wrong as has been proved.

As for changing anything, nothing you or I post here makes any difference but we are entitled to post our opinions even if we do not agree.

If everything smelt of roses at home or where our foreign policy is concerned I would be the first to congratulate those responsible and jump up and down with glee.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  13. Ninja_Stoker

In which case, if we've been killing rebels in tanks, then "we" have taken sides with Gaddafi or however he spells himself.

14. He spells it مُعَمَّر ٱلْقَذَّافِيّ‎ .

Either that, or we really are protecting civilians, and not assisting with regime change.

15. It may have escaped you but had the pilot known that the opposition were crewing the tank do you really think he would have engaged them?

16. A reply from Mr A R Ebel, said they were told to put a yellow flag on their vehicles to show they were part of the rebel forces, and therefor please dont shoot us!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Oh dear, I'm all confused & need to sit down now.

18. Nasi Goreng

Ingredients:

1 shallot
    1 garlic
    1 red chili (seeded)
    1/2 teaspoon toasted belacan (terasi)
    1/2 teaspoon palm sugar
    1/2 tablespoon kecap manis
    8 oz. overnight rice
    1 fried egg (well done)
    2 tablespoons oil