The re-invention of the English language

Rumrat

War Hero
Spidiver said:
Each generation makes it's own language, back in the 60's (before my time) everything was "Cool and Groovy Baby", when I joined up everything was "essence" or "Divs".

Now we have "hoofing", ..."random" seems to be my daughters buzz word. Although "Cool" seems to be making a comeback.

You should be able to take an axe to the head of some chav twat using text mong speak though.

Spid me old mate you bin a watchin too many 60's films.

"Fab" was the 60's word and also if posh or a bit of a fairy "Sublime" was a catchy one.
Cool was more a 50's Paul Anka kind of thing. :D :roll:
I will allow Groovy if of the feminine or uphill variety. 8O 8)

Rumrat

War Hero
Please someone enlighten me as to why everyone south of Watford gap and between the ages of 11 and mid 20's tries to talk with a phony West Indian type accent, interspersed (do you like that word) with cockney expressions innit. 8O :?

One of the reasons English has been so successful as a laguage is that it does adapt and cange with the times. It does reflect the current nature of society, and thus is always up to date and correct.

Take away the flexibility and adaptability and English becomes a second rate language like French. As the language now belongs to the world there is little chance we can cock it up anyway.

As it is txtspk is the natural successor to telegrammese whic was developed to allow businesses to comumicate using telegrams at minimum cost, the British Empire was built on what is now txtspk, so it is not new and has a very sound background as a subset of English

Stop being a grumpy old man before your time

Rumrat

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
One of the reasons English has been so successful as a laguage is that it does adapt and cange with the times. It does reflect the current nature of society, and thus is always up to date and correct.

Take away the flexibility and adaptability and English becomes a second rate language like French. As the language now belongs to the world there is little chance we can cock it up anyway.

As it is txtspk is the natural successor to telegrammese [b]whic [/b]was developed to allow businesses to comumicate using telegrams at minimum cost, the British Empire was built on what is now txtspk, so it is not new and has a very sound background as a subset of English

My god its evolving as you speak :D :wink:

witsend said:
Maxi_77 said:

As it is txtspk is the natural successor to telegrammese whic was developed to allow businesses to comumicate using telegrams at minimum cost, the British Empire was built on what is now txtspk, so it is not new and has a very sound background as a subset of English

Fair point maxi.

I love the "cange" in "laguage". Good to see English developing during your post. :wink:

What do you expect when I am sitting in Port Medoc and having to sample the local produce

nobby0919

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:

As it is txtspk is the natural successor to telegrammese whic was developed to allow businesses to comumicate using telegrams at minimum cost, the British Empire was built on what is now txtspk, so it is not new and has a very sound background as a subset of English.

end of quote

I have a Book dated 1904, for ordering spare parts for a G & J Weirs Marine Steam pump.

When ordering by Telegraph the following code words are to be used

When can you despatch ? SPADILLE
Forward by express goods train SPADIX
Forward as soon as possible SPAHI
Ship by first steamer SPALE
When will you ship SPALPEEN
Send Drawing SPAWN
Shop job number SPUME

slim

War Hero
Suppose most of us can remembers
R.O.M.F.T.
R.O.M.F.T.
F.O.
F.R.O.
But we did not use these in mormal everyday written communication.

Rumrat

War Hero
slim said:
Suppose most of us can remembers
R.O.M.F.T.
R.O.M.F.T.
F.O.
F.R.O.
But we did not use these in mormal everyday written communication.

I did cus I was a NAAFI rating.
No Ambition And Fuckall Interest.

jesse

War Hero
!950s;- "I'm only enni" As in"I'm only going ashore enni !" :roll: I scared my folks witless by turning up well pissed up and announced that I'd strangld a Baron in the train bar and had been well lashed up all the way down the line. :twisted: