Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Random Thread of Bollocks (NSFW)

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
Ok, watching footy the other day, don't get many premiership games here in the great white north...anyways, I sees everyone kneel before the kick off....no fans mind, just the players....
Seems we have not tired of this fad.....is it infectious? Will we all eventually have to do it, like before a game of uckrrs, Dom's, cribbage etc? Fuckin hope not....IF I gets down, would struggle to get back up. Is there a course I can go on? Maybe a gov't grant to incentivise?...
Lot easier and much more sensible just to sit on your arse methinks....
Not until the Wokerati move on to the next fad - though that might be soon cos they are on a mission to get the taxpayer (UK ones ) to buy dinner for every school kid every day - for ever if they get their way - and speaking as a kid who got Free School meals in the 60's - and stood out like a sore thumb cos the dinner tickets were a different colour - I had to go without a lot of stuff - but I NEVER went without food - my parents ALWAYS made sure that all 7 of us were fed - properly - unlike the woman who has been in the news a lot lately as an example of food poverty and whingeing she hasn't got enough sausage rolls left in the plastic pack for one each for the kids . Now I'm sure there are genuine cases where the family needs help - but I'm also sure there are a LOT of cases where the kids have no chance cos the parent they're lumbered with is clueless and the more they are subsidised the less inclined they are to become less clueless.
Give a man a fish - feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish - feed him for life

Rant over - fire away

Ballistic

War Hero

fishhead

War Hero
If we are to believe what we're being told there are millions of kids starving because they don't get a free school meal during the holidays. What we're not told is how they have arrived at this point. I am quite happy to accept that some poor souls cannot cope with the problem of managing income against expenditure and end up with too much month at the end of the money. Is the problem they never had enough money in the first place or their priorities are wrong. For a while after I left the mob I was unemployed and then when I did get a job it barely covered the outgoings. The solution was to pay the mortgage, put food on the table and treat everything else as a luxury only buying stuff when it could be afforded without taking on more debt. Slowly but surely we emerged from the dark days and they are now a distant memory.
Finally do none of these unfortunates have relatives who can stand them a few quid now and again when times are tough? If the kids want specific items could they not be given as birthday/Chrimbo prezzies whether it is the time of year or not?
I'm sure life for some is not as simple as I see it but is it all down to the rest of us to keep chucking money at the problem rather than teaching them how to cope.

taffscrivs

War Hero
If we are to believe what we're being told there are millions of kids starving because they don't get a free school meal during the holidays. What we're not told is how they have arrived at this point. I am quite happy to accept that some poor souls cannot cope with the problem of managing income against expenditure and end up with too much month at the end of the money. Is the problem they never had enough money in the first place or their priorities are wrong. For a while after I left the mob I was unemployed and then when I did get a job it barely covered the outgoings. The solution was to pay the mortgage, put food on the table and treat everything else as a luxury only buying stuff when it could be afforded without taking on more debt. Slowly but surely we emerged from the dark days and they are now a distant memory.
Finally do none of these unfortunates have relatives who can stand them a few quid now and again when times are tough? If the kids want specific items could they not be given as birthday/Chrimbo prezzies whether it is the time of year or not?
I'm sure life for some is not as simple as I see it but is it all down to the rest of us to keep chucking money at the problem rather than teaching them how to cope.
Quite agree Fishead, Me and the missus have always lived by the rule if you can't afford it don't buy it.
We've seen some really tough times in our 40 years together, sky high interest rates, serious illness, worrying how to pay the mortgage etc. But no matter what, our kids were always fed. That was always foremost in our minds.
I cannot believe that millions of British kids are starving on the streets when you see 'struggling' parents on TV standing there with expensive hairdos, covered in tattoos, wearing designer trainers and smart phones in their hands. But mention food vouchers or National I.D. cards to produce when visiting food banks most don't want to know, they want cash. Would every penny extra be spent on wholesome nourishing food for the kids?
Yes there are some really struggling families out there, but nowhere near as many as the media would have us believe.

Ballistic

War Hero
Teaching them will take time and effort and should be done, but in the meantime children are hungry.

Feed them.
Now.

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
Teaching them will take time and effort and should be done, but in the meantime children are hungry.

Feed them.
Now.
I don’t think anyone is saying let them starve - but it’s more a question of who does it and how - I’ve just watched a very well meaning cafe owner with rows of packed lunches for some kids - then he showed the contents and he pulled out - a bag of crisps, a chocolate bar, a bottle of bright purple fizzy drink and a tub of what I guess was fruit yoghurt - I don’t know what else was in there but that lot hardly constitutes a nutritional meal and sadly it reinforces to the parents that they can give this shite to their kids on a daily basis.
As I understand it the Govt has given some 60 million to councils to use for this and THEY should use it properly - open the school canteens and give the kids proper food - BUT that still doesn’t solve the problem of irresponsible useless parents.
I guess when children have children have children you get generations who don’t know the basics of living responsibly - within your means - and are just used to someone else picking up the tab.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
This may be a simplistic view of mine but not long back we had a major recession with thousands of jobs lost but the kids being fed was not an issue.

Now we have a pandemic, thousands of jobs lost and all of a sudden the kids are starving and it's all the Government's fault.

What happened between the two events to cause this?

Ballistic

War Hero
I don’t think anyone is saying let them starve - but it’s more a question of who does it and how - I’ve just watched a very well meaning cafe owner with rows of packed lunches for some kids - then he showed the contents and he pulled out - a bag of crisps, a chocolate bar, a bottle of bright purple fizzy drink and a tub of what I guess was fruit yoghurt - I don’t know what else was in there but that lot hardly constitutes a nutritional meal and sadly it reinforces to the parents that they can give this shite to their kids on a daily basis.
As I understand it the Govt has given some 60 million to councils to use for this and THEY should use it properly - open the school canteens and give the kids proper food - BUT that still doesn’t solve the problem of irresponsible useless parents.
I guess when children have children have children you get generations who don’t know the basics of living responsibly - within your means - and are just used to someone else picking up the tab.
I understand where you're coming from.

I see 2 issues: the means must be found to educate parents to budget and feed their children properly and that's a long term strategy. I don't know how it can be achieved - Jamie Oliver failed.

But the more immediate problem is children going hungry right now and that requires a "fire-fighting" solution.
That needs a government U-turn and the restoration of the school meal during holidays scheme until this crisis has abated and some degree of normality has returned.

Ballistic

War Hero
This may be a simplistic view of mine but not long back we had a major recession with thousands of jobs lost but the kids being fed was not an issue.

Now we have a pandemic, thousands of jobs lost and all of a sudden the kids are starving and it's all the Government's fault.

What happened between the two events to cause this?
They were always hungry. Ask Marcus Rashford.

Like a lot of other issues, this pandemic has "pressure tested" society and the cracks that were always there have been exposed.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I think she will fail, supposed to be a paperless office, she has no need to be in the bottom draw. On the other hand if she was trying to get my attention, she succeeded.

View attachment 55273
I think she will fail, supposed to be a paperless office, she has no need to be in the bottom draw. On the other hand if she was trying to get my attention, she succeeded.

View attachment 55273
Is that the aft JR’s heads on a stumpey’22?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet The random thread of NO bollocks! Diamond Lil's 0
Rumrat The thread of random good ideas. (Or make Rumrat rich thread) Diamond Lil's 78
N The Random Thread of Mingingness Diamond Lil's 126
BillyNoMates The random thread of fluffiness Diamond Lil's 208
MoD_RSS News story: Quantum random number generator microchip for secure communications MoD News 0
B Random questions regarding joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
2_deck_dash Real Ale Random Name Generator. Diamond Lil's 17
S Addicted! Just a little random comment Diamond Lil's 6
soleil Indie: "Random. Fallacious. Arrogant" - The Government's Confused Defence Strategy Current Affairs 3
janner Random thoughts Miscellaneous 0
BFC_69 Random shite sportsmen/women Diamond Lil's 20
Ninja_Stoker Compulsory Random Drugs Tests- 18 RN suspected positive. Current Affairs 142
Stepto Random Monty Python Quotes Diamond Lil's 36
andym Random funny shit. Diamond Lil's 0
Harry_off_the_Hermes First random ten tracks on your mp3 player. Diamond Lil's 33
brazenhussy Random rants................... Diamond Lil's 147
slim Motorists Face Random Booze Tests Current Affairs 33
MoD_RSS From Arab headdresses to the aerospace industry, the thread of history links us to the Middle East MoD News 0
D Close thread Diamond Lil's 53
F THANK YOU THREAD NOW CLOSED Miscellaneous 42
MoD_RSS Response to FT article and Twitter thread by Peter Foster MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Lock-Down thread 2020. Diamond Lil's 563
C follow up to parents thread Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Thread Merge Request Site Issues 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Strengthening prisoners’ family ties: the ‘golden thread’ to reducing reoffending MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The P.S.O.F. thread. Diamond Lil's 12
BillyNoMates The 2018 thread of Resolutions Diamond Lil's 69
K Please Delete...Pointless Thread Now :) Joining the Royal Navy 31
C Walt Thread Petitions 45
SONAR-BENDER The 2017 Chrimbo thread Diamond Lil's 322
Stirlin Good News Thread. Diamond Lil's 11
janner Stirlins thread for when He comes back. Diamond Lil's 59
Bad CO Joining Up - A Thread For Parents/Guardians Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 605
woody28 Psychometric- yet another thread Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
HHH You Can Edit Your Thread Title Site Issues 0
BillyNoMates The Christmas 2016 Thread. Diamond Lil's 148
BillyNoMates Strange people creating accounts (amended thread title) Miscellaneous 18
Yetiboy48 Wrong thread Blue Jokes 8
GreedoTheFerret Yet another clearance diver thread... Sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
mikh Disappeared thread Site Issues 35
A Norman - cumgargling mongtard thread-split. Diamond Lil's 39
F Probably my last ever thread Diamond Lil's 60
P Scottish thread Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
W GYH(T) Thread UPO 1
Ninja_Stoker The "your name here" thread Diamond Lil's 205
SONAR-BENDER The crap journalism thread. Diamond Lil's 12
BillyNoMates RR Members phot thread (Only pics you've taken yourself) Diamond Lil's 1487
soleil Who cooked all the pies? (moved thread) Competitions 14
4 Asthma thread again Health & Fitness 3