The Random Thread of Bollocks (NSFW)

huwshpis

War Hero
You people from the Colonies have some strange habits. The only use we had for seaweed was as a garden fertiliser. ;)
My father (40 years Merchant Navy) used to take me to the beach to collect seaweed for the garden when I was very little. Once he retired, he had the garden grassed over!

Another point that occurred to me was that, until I was about 10 years old, the water in our taps came from a spring, the source of the River Loughor. The supply then switched to Usk reservoir in the Black Mountains. Now, the water from the source of the Loughor can be yours at 75p+ per bottle - B****n C****g!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
This would have been in the 1950's mate, it would have been an effort to improve diets for kids. Though arguably diets were healthy then, no quick foods, restricted meat and fatty substances available and apart from tinned peas and carrots veg was all fresh.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
If you love food but were a child of the 60’s you should remember most of this;
* Pasta had not been invented. *
Janner, I have to disagree with the Pasta statement: "In the 14th and 15th centuries, dried pasta became popular for its easy storage. This allowed people to store pasta on ships when exploring the New World. A century later, pasta was present around the globe during the voyages of discovery" (from Wiki).

I totally remember and agree with everything else you wrote. I look at my kids and grand-kids today and truly believe that generally we had a much easier life back in the 60's. That being said, every generation is different to the previous one. From Baby Boomers (1946 - 1964), Gen X (1965 - 1976), Millennial's (1977 - 1995) to Gen Z (1996 - present) and ad infinite there will be different choices that the young population will make. Good post Janner.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Fish and chips (with scraps) cost about two shillings which equates to almost three hundred quid nowadays.
You only had one household cleaning item in the cupboard under the sink...... Vim - as opposed to four shelf-loads today.
Conkers was not considered an extreme sport only to be played by folk dressed in bomb disposal gear.
Ahhh.... and you could clobber your offspring if they got a bit above their station.
Biff!
OWWWWW!!! What was that for dad?