The Random Thread of Bollocks (NSFW)

In the Burg, we only had B&W BBC until 1974. If you lived in Craigendoran by the railway, it was possible to get ITV too. In the same day 1974 we got colour AND a choice of 3 channels when they put up the aerial tower on Rosneath. I was on leave when the new telly arrived and as it powered up, there was a Mickey Duck on - we all stopped the installer from carrying on the setting up until the cartoon had finished!

However, British programmes seemed to have more realistic colours than American ones. It may have simply been a technical issue of converting Septic to UK format, but you had to squint sometimes at the garish hues in The High Chaparral and Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. But being able to drool over Goldie Hawn made it bearable.
We didnt get one until the 70s and I remember the bloke who installed mentioning the US colour problem and recommending we adjust the colour between programs. Sod that says my dad, too far to walk from his chair to twiddle the knobs!

In my village of 22 houses , a chapel and pub we were the first to get a telly early 60's . The whole village sent mam to Coventry.......until the day of the FA cup final when a few blokes came knocking. :rolleyes:

My parents got a colour TV in the late 60s. In retrospect it seemed enormous, but the picture was probably smaller than most of today's flat-screen TVs. Having colour was pretty impressive at the time, having been weaned on fuzzy black and white classics such as Robin Hood, The Buccaneers. The Lone Ranger etc. However, British programmes seemed to have more realistic colours than American ones. It may have simply been a technical issue of converting Septic to UK format, but you had to squint sometimes at the garish hues in The High Chaparral and Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. But being able to drool over Goldie Hawn made it bearable.
Veeerrry interesting.....but stoopid

When I left school in 1972, I was an apprentice tv and radio engineer, the reason sceptic tv programmes looked a bit naff on our tv was because uk tv was made up of 626 horizontal lines and the sceptics ran on 505 lines so their picture wasn’t as sharpe.

When I left school in 1972, I was an apprentice tv and radio engineer, the reason sceptic tv programmes looked a bit naff on our tv was because uk tv was made up of 626 horizontal lines and the sceptics ran on 505 lines so their picture wasn’t as sharpe.
Know it was something to do with lines and pixie rates, we had a TV onboard out the states in 77 always odd looking picture's