The Random Thread of Bollocks (NSFW)

HartleyHare

Lantern Swinger

@HartleyHare

Royal Naval Slang & Terminology​

The Royal Navy has a language all of its own and the average matelot uses a lot of terminology unheard in other walks of life. Here is a guide of the more common naval terms for those that have never served and as a gentle reminder for those that left the Navy many years ago.

I note that "Sticky Greens" & "Grippo" are missing from list
Thank you :)

Dodgy Bob

One of our Tiff that joined us in A school, said at the end of parade training wash up by shovel face, that the parade training was a waste of time, one of the GI’s said so, yes that was true but? Shovel face had him report to the drill shed every lunch time to tell him which GI, we told him it was life and death that he said nothing, possibly his own, this went on for weeks, good lesson for Tiffs learn when to keep you gob shut.
Lt Andrews - boy he was a special kind of crazy! He marched everywhere, and leaned at around 10 degrees! Allegedly, there was one of the green "satchels" lying around, and rather then corden off for IED, he tied it to a bike and road around dead loss! What I CAN attest to, was when I was in the band (stuff station duties!), he would mutter "render unto Ceaser what is Caesar". He started to learn the violin, but never tuned it - despite having a tuning pipes! Finally I heard he spoke to an officer saying he couldn't understand why his son hated him "I can't understand it, I treat my son like any junior rate". My first 6 months I was afraid of him. Eventually, I found him hysterically funny! Genuinely nice guy, but too many screws loose.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Lt Andrews - boy he was a special kind of crazy! He marched everywhere, and leaned at around 10 degrees! Allegedly, there was one of the green "satchels" lying around, and rather then corden off for IED, he tied it to a bike and road around dead loss! What I CAN attest to, was when I was in the band (stuff station duties!), he would mutter "render unto Ceaser what is Caesar". He started to learn the violin, but never tuned it - despite having a tuning pipes! Finally I heard he spoke to an officer saying he couldn't understand why his son hated him "I can't understand it, I treat my son like any junior rate". My first 6 months I was afraid of him. Eventually, I found him hysterically funny! Genuinely nice guy, but too many screws loose.
Lt "shovelface" Andrews was Gunnery Officer at Collingrad when I was on killicks course and Mechs course, the man was a legend.

Latest Threads