The Random Thread of Bollocks (NSFW)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think that the main problem is that the TV Producers have tried to dramatize everything by mixing FOST work up stuff with the actual Patrol stuff, it's hard to follow what's real and what's exercise stuff.

Taztiff

War Hero
Did a weekly shop yesterday in Morrisons and never noticed any aisles "clogged" with Christmas goods.
Just because you've seen it somewhere doesn't mean it's happening everywhere ;)
Our local Morrisons has, Mrs T got 2 tubs of Quality Street this weekend.
Unfortunately the use by date is next March so I don't have an excuse to scoff them before November.

Jacobus

War Hero
I think that the main problem is that the TV Producers have tried to dramatize everything by mixing FOST work up stuff with the actual Patrol stuff, it's hard to follow what's real and what's exercise stuff.
Probably true. Just the general gash state of the insides. And the panel on the forward bulkhead. I’ll show my ignorance and declare I’m not sure what the correct term is. Sail/ fin/ conning tower ? Festooned with rust. What is that panel. ?

Lemacque

Badgeman
Probably true. Just the general gash state of the insides. And the panel on the forward bulkhead. I’ll show my ignorance and declare I’m not sure what the correct term is. Sail/ fin/ conning tower ? Festooned with rust. What is that panel. ?
The boats are generally covered in rust patches where the tiles fall off at sea. Its only really noticeable in the dry weather, and is just surface corrosion (mostly). Having said that, vanguard was falling apart when she came in there back in '16

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It's the fin, I'm not sure which panel you mean, do you mean the one next to the planesman?

I had 4 T boats (2 as a back aftie, 2 fwd as wrecker) and the material state of the boat is about right due to her age and lack of T boat spares.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
It is the cover for a sonar and has a matching one on the rear of the fin.

Jacobus

War Hero
Thanks all. I go and lurk in the sundodgers thread. One last question. If you were drafted to a particular type of boat, TLAM/ Hunter killer / Bomber etc etc did you tend to stay on the one type of boat for your career ?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Thanks all. I go and lurk in the sundodgers thread. One last question. If you were drafted to a particular type of boat, TLAM/ Hunter killer / Bomber etc etc did you tend to stay on the one type of boat for your career ?
No, the only people nailed to a class of boat are the missile marys on bombers (WE SWS) although some of us were lucky, I was SM2 for 30 years (SSNs).