The Queen's Coronation tour of the Commonwealth

Discussion in 'History' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Aug 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is a programme going to be shown on BBC with a guy called Kwame following the route that Her Majesty took after her Coronation to show herself to the people of the Commonwealth.

What I would like to know if there are any RR users who were part of that tour or had a bit to do with it, even if it was street lining.

Come on here and give us your stories. This is a chance to get some living history.

By the way I am in no way a journalist, I would just like to hear from guys who took part in that and what the atmosphere was like at the time.

Ta

2. You could PM Granny believe he was left in his pram on the Torpoint Ferry in case HM decided to visit the Cornish part of the Commonwealth :wink: That I believe is how he managed to accrue so much sea time.

3. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

If only I was that young! Granny was actually serving on the Bermuda in the Med at that time. Remember HM on Brittania steaming between the Fleet and us all giving her a 'chuck up'. Nearly got ran over on the jetty in Malta when she went off for some scran somewhere with Phil. The crowd pushed for'ard and nearly had me under the wheels. Oh! happy days.

4. My first CPO (TASI) was on the BERMUDA.. spooky

5. HM's first stop on the Tour was the Island of Bermuda. Is there a pattern emerging?

6. (granny)

The only pattern that I see is of me standing on the rostrum holding the winners cup!

Having a senior moment here. Chose the wrong thread. I need my beauty sleep.

7. Yes you seem to be dreaming a lot lately, the old folks home is calling. :)

Was dragged halfway across Australia to street line when Queen came, but was only three at time, so did a wave, but was not on one. :twisted: 8O :) :)

8. (granny)

[​IMG][/url][/img]

Just a quick pic. Grand Harbour 1953. Shows Britannia, Glasgow, Gambia & Bermuda.

9. (granny)

Seem to have made a cock up of the picture. Back to the drawing board!